Rukas

Hi

I am looking to use black sand as a substrate

Been reading and receiving mixed review on the below

Natures Ocean Live Aragonite Black Sand

CaribSea Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black

Black Tahitian Moon Sand

Live Black Volcanic Sand

What would you recommend, i hear some has expiry and needs to be changed 50% after that

Please kindly share your thoughts

• SRC Member

Hmmm... Was surprised abt the expiry part... I used it for my freshwater last time(yeaa i didnt know what's live sand last time) and washed before use... From what i rmb, substrate dont expire.... Probably more die offs of beneficial bacteria as time passes...:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

Hmmm... Was surprised abt the expiry part... I used it for my freshwater last time(yeaa i didnt know what's live sand last time) and washed before use... From what i rmb, substrate dont expire.... Probably more die offs of beneficial bacteria as time passes...:)

That is what i think as well, it shouldnt expire, but came across this forum where bro Terryz mentioned it needs be changed 50% after 2 years, i am not sure if this is because there is a bacteria die off or the sand looses its ability to filter nitrates and releases it back to the water

Confused :blink:

• SRC Member

technically most of these are live sand and will remain LIVE unless you remove it so I don't see why there's an expiry. However, over time, the sand do get less as some of it may be dissolved, water change, stuck to rock and removed in one way or another. I use caribsea and NO sands.. so far no problem, new set up also use caribsea Taihitian moon sand, so far so good.

• SRC Member

Hi

Black Tahitian Moon Sand

Live Black Volcanic Sand

What would you recommend, i hear some has expiry and needs to be changed 50% after that

Hi bro, I am using the Black Tahitian Moon Sand. So far so good but I read that the black will start to fade after some time

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

technically most of these are live sand and will remain LIVE unless you remove it so I don't see why there's an expiry. However, over time, the sand do get less as some of it may be dissolved, water change, stuck to rock and removed in one way or another. I use caribsea and NO sands.. so far no problem, new set up also use caribsea Taihitian moon sand, so far so good.

:ThanxSmiley:

Do consider how big you want the substrate to be... hawaiian black is a lot bigger and has some white sand now. The Tahitian black sand is super fine like sugary fine :)

Thanks bro, but is there any specific benefit of using either? or does it depend on types of LS and personalization

• SRC Member

It depends on a few things.. one is whether will you be directing your wavemakers/return downwards. Fine sand will be blown around easily. second consideration is how thick the sand bed is.. if thicker, u may want to use some fine at bottom (to aid the bacteria growing to break down your nitrates) and cover with rough sand on top.

Also, if you keep wrasses, by right, fine sand is better for them as rough sand may scratches them when they dive in. If you keep certain gobies, they probably need rough sand to build their tunnel/home :P

Hi

Black Tahitian Moon Sand

Live Black Volcanic Sand

That is what i think as well, it shouldnt expire, but came across this forum where bro Terryz mentioned it needs be changed 50% after 2 years, i am not sure if this is because there is a bacteria die off or the sand looses its ability to filter nitrates and releases it back to the water

Confused :blink:

Natures Ocean Live Aragonite Black Sand - More of Gray than black

CaribSea Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black - Black but consist of chunky rocks and the size varies a lot...

Black Tahitian Moon Sand - Not live sand but my favorite as it is fine and jet black but that time I still cant find them in Singapore...

Live Black Volcanic Sand - This is the one that require changing of 50% every 2 years, but I cant remember the reason behind it..

Most livesand have expiry dates as in when they are in the packing as those bacteria that require oxygen will slowly die off and only leaving those anaerobic ones... so in a way, it will still be "live"...

There is no need to change your livesand after it is in the system, it will harbour all the bacterias in them...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Do consider how big you want the substrate to be... hawaiian black is a lot bigger and has some white sand now. The Tahitian black sand is super fine like sugary fine :)

Those that have white sand mixed is the indonesia black sand... hawaiian black is pure black but very chucky...

Member of:

It depends on a few things.. one is whether will you be directing your wavemakers/return downwards. Fine sand will be blown around easily. second consideration is how thick the sand bed is.. if thicker, u may want to use some fine at bottom (to aid the bacteria growing to break down your nitrates) and cover with rough sand on top.

Also, if you keep wrasses, by right, fine sand is better for them as rough sand may scratches them when they dive in. If you keep certain gobies, they probably need rough sand to build their tunnel/home :P

Great Information bro ketchup :):ThanxSmiley:

I will go for the mix of both and substrates and plan to keep a goby :)

• SRC Member

CaribSea Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black - Black but consist of chunky rocks and the size varies a lot...

Black Tahitian Moon Sand - Not live sand but my favorite as it is fine and jet black but that time I still cant find them in Singapore...

Live Black Volcanic Sand - This is the one that require changing of 50% every 2 years, but I cant remember the reason behind it..

Yup NO sand is more grayish and i don't quite like it but it's more fine than the Caribsea Hawaiian Black.

The black tahiti moon sand can be found at madpetz

• SRC Member

Those that have white sand mixed is the indonesia black sand... hawaiian black is pure black but very chucky...

Terryz, in the past the hawaiian black is pure chunky black sand but i saw the recent batch, it seems to have some white speckle sand mix.. it's not as much as the indo black.

Terryz, in the past the hawaiian black is pure chunky black sand but i saw the recent batch, it seems to have some white speckle sand mix.. it's not as much as the indo black.

Not sure leh... I haven been noticing those sand for quite some time liao... maybe they change liao.. or new batch problem bah...

Member of:

Most livesand have expiry dates as in when they are in the packing as those bacteria that require oxygen will slowly die off and only leaving those anaerobic ones... so in a way, it will still be "live"...

There is no need to change your livesand after it is in the system, it will harbour all the bacterias in them...

Thank you bro, was looking out for your reply since i got the information from your thread , might mix both Arag-live and tahitian moon

Yup NO sand is more grayish and i don't quite like it but it's more fine than the Caribsea Hawaiian Black.

The black tahiti moon sand can be found at madpetz

I not setting up another tank liao..

lol... Lazy to change to tahiti sand also.. dun wanna disturb the bacterias also..

Member of:

Black sand - black ARAGONITE is good but imo the draw of white Aragonite is nicer. Light factor etc. a good contrast with the dark of the live rock and the colorful fish and coral. Pref I guess.

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE