newly set up tank

alvinpark

i am new to marine fish and reef keeping so i would kindly like to share my experiences and at the same time learn from you guys out there!!!!

i have just set up a 2 by 1.5 by 1 feet tank around 4 to 5 weeks ago. i allowed it to cycle with a damsel for about 3 weeks before adding a naso tang which died at the end of the 3rd week.

4th week introduced brown tang, 2 cardinal fishes and bi colored.

5th week convict tang and black and white nemo.

corals and mushroom were added on 4th and 5th week.

tank consist of: 1 overhead filter(dolphin brand) with activated carbon, ceramic rings, bio balls and sponge as filter media, 1 wave maker, 1 protein skimmer (cheap one which costs $18.90), 2 LED lights (blue and white), 1 fan.

live rocks/ corals: i have live corals/sand as my gravel, a fibre glass rock (the big one), 2 goniopora, 1 lavender mushroom on live rock, 1 mushroom on smaller live rock.

invertebrates: 1 red star fish.

fishes: 1 brown tang, 1 convict tang, 1 black and white nemo, 1 bi-colored angel fish, 2 cardinal fishes.

water: i am using sea water.

food: fishes are accepting food pellets and am now trying to introduce seaweed, corals feeding on 5in1 food (liquid).

temperature: ranges from 27-28

water conditions: trying not to buy test kits

currently fishes are getting along well. brown and convict tang and bi coloured angel very shy. often hide when i am in front of the tank. black and white nemo swimming happily, probably a little too happy cause it is acting like its very excited. 2 cardinal fishes moves from places to places and just stay still. star fish crawls around regularly...always at a different position everyday.

post-19984-0-70791300-1317447666_thumb.j

post-19984-0-92365000-1317447671_thumb.j

post-19984-0-13766300-1317447679_thumb.j

post-19984-0-71237600-1317447684_thumb.j

post-19984-0-52718500-1317447689_thumb.j

i have never been so crazy over a hobby......now you fishes are my next best friends!!!!!!

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Welcome to reefing. Below are some personal observation.

Cycling

Overcrowded already, don't add anymore LS. I suspect your cycling has yet to complete. Pls. check your NH3, NO3, & NO2 level. BTW, you shouldn't have put in the damsel even though it cost little. The toxic level in the water goes up during cycling & the fella suffers.

Equipment

Overhead filter is more suited for fresh water setup. Most marine nano uses HOB filter when there's no option for IOS or sump. Nevertheless, give it a try since you've already invested in it. You can do away with the ceramic rings & bio-balls.

I've previously used that Resun protein skimmer. It'll give you much micro-bubbles in your main display.

Below is what I tried in my previous nano & it works better this way, while reducing the clutter in the main display.(pic below)

That pair of LED is not sufficient if you're planning for corals later. BTW, try to keep water temperature around 26-27C for long term coral health. You may need to invest in a chiller if you're serious in keeping corals.

All the best.

2928880200_71171da12c_z.jpg?zz=1

2937610840_d6ba8b5c77_z.jpg?zz=1

bro where u buy your skimmer huh ??

i looking for a small wan long time ago :D

i bought mine from aquastar at yishun.....for tanks under 2 feet that will suffice....

i have never been so crazy over a hobby......now you fishes are my next best friends!!!!!!

Hi bro,

Welcome to reefing. Below are some personal observation.

Cycling

Overcrowded already, don't add anymore LS. I suspect your cycling has yet to complete. Pls. check your NH3, NO3, & NO2 level. BTW, you shouldn't have put in the damsel even though it cost little. The toxic level in the water goes up during cycling & the fella suffers.

Equipment

Overhead filter is more suited for fresh water setup. Most marine nano uses HOB filter when there's no option for IOS or sump. Nevertheless, give it a try since you've already invested in it. You can do away with the ceramic rings & bio-balls.

I've previously used that Resun protein skimmer. It'll give you much micro-bubbles in your main display.

Below is what I tried in my previous nano & it works better this way, while reducing the clutter in the main display.(pic below)

That pair of LED is not sufficient if you're planning for corals later. BTW, try to keep water temperature around 26-27C for long term coral health. You may need to invest in a chiller if you're serious in keeping corals.

All the best.

2928880200_71171da12c_z.jpg?zz=1

2937610840_d6ba8b5c77_z.jpg?zz=1

is your protein skimmer D.I.Y or do you combine the one i am using with a HOB filter?

• SRC Member

It's the same as what you're using now with following modification to fit into the filter box.

- outlet pieces removed.(Just stuff the original outlet black sponge into the outlet hole.)I use a large size cable tie to push down on the sponge for adjustment purpose.

- Skimmer pump sit in the HOB filter's impeller's compartment. So need a short piece of tubing to connect pump to skimmer inlet.

- Cut hole in HOB filter top cover to accommodate skimmer cup, pump's power cord, and air tube.

That's it.

P.S. The HOB filter model is Sun-B3 I purchased from C328 auntie.

It's the same as what you're using now with following modification to fit into the filter box.

- outlet pieces removed.(Just stuff the original outlet black sponge into the outlet hole.)I use a large size cable tie to push down on the sponge for adjustment purpose.

- Skimmer pump sit in the HOB filter's impeller's compartment. So need a short piece of tubing to connect pump to skimmer inlet.

- Cut hole in HOB filter top cover to accommodate skimmer cup, pump's power cord, and air tube.

That's it.

i have always thought ceramic rings and bio balls are essential items for any tank.....arnt they?

• SRC Member

Don't be offended for my bluntness. too soon, too many. Be patient - This is a must to be successful in the marine aquarium hobby.

Cycling with fishes is a bad idea. if the fish dies, it's a life loss. If it survives, it'll probably be some fish which you'll hate to have in your tank - for example, the commonly available cheap damsels. a lose-lose situation.

Cycling takes 4-6 weeks. After that a large water change before any livestocks go in. livestocks should be introduced gradually, one per 1 or 2 weeks. This interval will allow the bio-filter to ramp up to the new level of waste generated by the addition.

Bioballs and ceramic rings are old tech. Current wisdom is that they become nitrate generators in the long run. Reefers nowadays uses biohome or similar products.

It's acceptable to not have test kits if you wish to keep fishes only. With Corals, it's a gamble without test kits as you don;t know what's going on in your water parameters. Acceptable water temperature for corals is around 26. some hardy ones can survive at around 28 but there's always a possibility that they will melt.

Your Gonio is not looking good from the photos.

BTW, do you know that the Bi-colour angelfish is known as one of the species of pygmy angels that is more likely to nip on corals? Please read up more before you buy. Impulsive buys have a high tendency to create problems.

Read the vast trove of information in this forum. Be patient. ask when unclear. you'll be rewarded with a thriving tank for years to come.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Naso Tang is too active for a tank that size. Your best bets are as follows:-

1. Clowns

2. Bangai Cardinal

3. Yellow Clown Goby

4. Blue Legged Hermits

5. Fire Shrimp - Lysmata

6. Six Line Wrasse

7. Anthea

8. Royal Gramma (not easy to get)

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

Seeing that there's no covered hood, I wouldn't consider wrasse if it has a tendency to jump.

I have one in my 2 footer. She's sweet. Well we all have diff experiences. She's never jumped.

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

bro where u buy your skimmer huh ??

i looking for a small wan long time ago :D

Try Tunze 9002 or SkimZ nano SH1/SH2... Not bad, neat and more effective....

SH1...

post-9248-0-88572900-1317570069_thumb.jp

SH2 in action.. demo unit can found in AM....

post-9248-0-20229600-1317570103_thumb.jp

Cheers...

Edited by CFOh

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Don't be offended for my bluntness. too soon, too many. Be patient - This is a must to be successful in the marine aquarium hobby.

Cycling with fishes is a bad idea. if the fish dies, it's a life loss. If it survives, it'll probably be some fish which you'll hate to have in your tank - for example, the commonly available cheap damsels. a lose-lose situation.

Cycling takes 4-6 weeks. After that a large water change before any livestocks go in. livestocks should be introduced gradually, one per 1 or 2 weeks. This interval will allow the bio-filter to ramp up to the new level of waste generated by the addition.

Bioballs and ceramic rings are old tech. Current wisdom is that they become nitrate generators in the long run. Reefers nowadays uses biohome or similar products.

It's acceptable to not have test kits if you wish to keep fishes only. With Corals, it's a gamble without test kits as you don;t know what's going on in your water parameters. Acceptable water temperature for corals is around 26. some hardy ones can survive at around 28 but there's always a possibility that they will melt.

Your Gonio is not looking good from the photos.

BTW, do you know that the Bi-colour angelfish is known as one of the species of pygmy angels that is more likely to nip on corals? Please read up more before you buy. Impulsive buys have a high tendency to create problems.

Read the vast trove of information in this forum. Be patient. ask when unclear. you'll be rewarded with a thriving tank for years to come.

thanks for the advice...how do i make my goniopora to "bloom"?

what about food wise? currently i am just feeding them pellets which cost $5 a bottle. i think it is not enough right? any recommendations?

thanks for the advice...how do i make my goniopora to "bloom"?

you need to follow bro Iskay advice and You need an established tank with all the water parameter and lighting requirement fulfilled

I have a Green and purple gornio in a Pico tank, my Clown fish has hosted on the Green gornio

Not easy to take care of them, i read even with the right condition some gornio never makes it more than 4 months in captivity( for small tanks)

• SRC Member

Try Tunze 9002 or SkimZ nano SH1/SH2... Not bad, neat and more effective....

SH1...

post-9248-0-88572900-1317570069_thumb.jp

SH2 in action.. demo unit can found in AM....

post-9248-0-20229600-1317570103_thumb.jp

Cheers...

Can the SH1 squeeze into a IQ3 or IQ5?

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

need help on food and feeding of my fishes.

current fishes are 3 clown fishes, 1 brown tang, 1 purple firefish goby, 1 convict tang, 2 cardinals.

i am only using pellet food which cost $5 a bottle?

is it enough?

need help on food and feeding of my fishes.

current fishes are 3 clown fishes, 1 brown tang, 1 purple firefish goby, 1 convict tang, 2 cardinals.

i am only using pellet food which cost $5 a bottle?

is it enough?

there are so many fish foods to select from aquapharm, grotech, new life spectrum, omega one, etc

I am feeding my clown and bangaii cardinal both New life spectrum for marine and Hikari brine shrimp( frozen)

different fish has different feeding habits or type of food, not usually 1 type will work for all

Your fishes feeding well now?

Most important they must feel right and good to feed, water condition and environment is important, they need their space too

• SRC Member

That's it.

How much did you pay for the HOB.. i want to try DIY myself..UPZ for you

there are so many fish foods to select from aquapharm, grotech, new life spectrum, omega one, etc

I am feeding my clown and bangaii cardinal both New life spectrum for marine and Hikari brine shrimp( frozen)

different fish has different feeding habits or type of food, not usually 1 type will work for all

Your fishes feeding well now?

Most important they must feel right and good to feed, water condition and environment is important, they need their space too

i did an online search on how to prepare TLC food for my marine fishes. i have got freeze dried krill which i mixed it with frozen brine shrimp. i then add garlic flavored enhancement and vitamins to soak the food. the fishes love it. i think they were not used to having good food. when i threw my food in their reaction was so cute! it was as though they were "smelling" a familiar smell before and they dashed to eat the food. my cardinal had a whole chunk in its mouth and kept it there till it could swallow.....