Bio Pellets

oceanviper

• SRC Member

Hi there.

I'm using Bio Pellets.

Recently after I changed to another FR and filled in the remaining unused biopellets, the beans all stick to each other like glutinous rice.

I didn't rinse it with water and just pour into my FR and filled up with NSW.

What is the reason?

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

Hi there.

I'm using Bio Pellets.

Recently after I changed to another FR and filled in the remaining unused biopellets, the beans all stick to each other like glutinous rice.

I didn't rinse it with water and just pour into my FR and filled up with NSW.

What is the reason?

They stick each other might due to lack of flow and movement. Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

What's your current flow for your fr?

It's not really flow rate i think.

It's more of ensuring that there are no deadspots or beads not moving at all.

some brands of reactors creates vortexes which forces the pellets to swirl rather than just tumble, those are better at avoiding dead spots even without high flow rate.

I know brother Joe_P can offer you some insights into this

• SRC Member

Hi there...

Thanks for the comments...

The root cause which reefer told me is that the pellets need to dip with the NSW for 48hrs.

I just do a quick check and it showns that the pellets started to isolate into individual.

Probably will let it till tomorrow before turning on my pump...In fact I'm using 3400l/h pump to feed into Skimz FR100....

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil

Chaeto in the sump

Hi there...

Thanks for the comments...

The root cause which reefer told me is that the pellets need to dip with the NSW for 48hrs.

I just do a quick check and it showns that the pellets started to isolate into individual.

Probably will let it till tomorrow before turning on my pump...In fact I'm using 3400l/h pump to feed into Skimz FR100....

I'm using TLF NPX bioplastics almost 2 months and never dip with the NSW for 48hrs before use leh :whistle !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Yes...when open for the 1st time, the things don't stick...

not sure is it because i didn't close properly....

Compressor drop-in coil

Chaeto in the sump

• 1 month later...

sorry to hijack this thread.

where got sell biopellets beside aquamarin. theirs sold out + out-of-stock.

clementi 328 have?

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

Order online from Madpetz, that's what I do all the time but then you should consolidate all your purchases like Salt mix, addictives etc to exceed $150 so delivery is free.

http://www.madpetz.com.sg/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_127_129&zenid=fva60km8cbkmi43tisn7c3kt36

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

cool! thanks mate!

The spirit of sharing...

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

hi guys, sorry to hijack thread again. didnt want to start another topic regarding biopellets.

After introducing biopellets to my system for 2 days. the water start to turn chalky. Is that normal?

The spirit of sharing...