Setting up shop for a Rimless 3by3by2

LittleBurger

• SRC Member

I agree wit e bros here tat ur lighting is not enough for ur tank. Since ur budget is tight, only one solution for u. Do a better scaping n plan properly for ur comin coral placing. Those demanding one must be direct under e light n those tat dont demand so much light can place at e side. I believe wit gd scaping n right coral placement, u can do wit jus 1set of lighting...

Hope tis wil bring ur moral up to do a better scaping... Lol

Been living in my house for abt 11yrs. No more house warming but welcome any 同道中人。

Looking for monti frag to start off my 1st sps. If u have i can buy frm u.

Xmas is the time for giving. :cheers: So free for you. Just need to collect from the West side. I am 1 call/sms/whatsapp away.

Cheers,

bigmike/8201 0133 :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

bro i have metalic digi birdnest and golden cloves foc for you to try out.hp 97963982 alan my place lakeside.

Pai seh le. Cant take free stuff. I can frag only pineapple coral... tats the only coral i have tats fragable. Heh heh.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

Bro you should be looking for silicon hose, they don't kink that easily.

Not sure if the hardware shops at kitchener road sells them, you can try.

What about using T5 as your lightings?

• SRC Member

Bro you should be looking for silicon hose, they don't kink that easily.

Not sure if the hardware shops at kitchener road sells them, you can try.

What about using T5 as your lightings?

Silicon hoses r nice. I try some of hardware stores at toh guan 1st.

If getting t5, i need to reposition the led unit at centre n t5 flank on its left n right to look "even".

If Just put a t5 fixture next to the led unit will look odd to me.

Going to hang the led fixture slightly higher to 10" as recommended by mr saltwatertank n use 100% intensity n see how.

Problem with rimless is u cant hide the lighting with the hood so even the light unit affect the look of tank.

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Issue encountered with ATO

It's my virgin ATO experience. As water level in in the top up tank had dropped, decided to top up with new freshwater. Prior to this, during the initial ATO installation, had verified the functionality of the whole process & deemed ok.

Somehow, I can't seem to fill up the top up tank at all after a certain amount of time had passed. Upon close observation, it seems that after u filled up water to the top up tank, u can see the water level dropping slowly.

It will drop by about a few cm then stop dropping. Initially I thought the pump might be faulty. Pump power disconnected & still the same issue. Thought that top up tank is leaking water to sump but water level in top up tank is higher than sump water level.

Decided to pull out the top up hose out of the sump water & test again. The issue solved. Somehow it is creating a siphon that will suck some water from top up tank, even though pump is OFF.

The hose is now above the sump water level to prevent this from happening. Luckily saw this phenomenon, else keep topping up water & it will lower my salinity.

post-19262-0-93963400-1325089639_thumb.j

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Cannabilizing the old glass cleaner

Can't "bear" to throw away the old glas cleaner. Decided to make use of it to act as an anchor for the vertical cliff works.

My daughter said it looks like a biscuit. LR will be glued to this acrylic to create a vertical cliff. The "biscuit" will be installed near to the same substrate for camouflage.

This is for reversible landscaping.

magneticbiscuit.jpg

The acrylic will be attached here with the use of the magnetic glass cleaner. Thereafter LR will be glued to this acylic to create the vertical cliff. NPS will be installed here at the darker corner.

verticalreef.jpg

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Ever since the chiller was swapped to the new tank, didn't notice it ran at all, probably due to the super cool weather.

Got a fish thermometer from Daiso & installed inside the chiller compartment inside the cabinet. It was reading 28degC.

Then came 1Jan 2012. Weather gets warm. Heard my chiller running & decided to take a look. Damn! When the door was opened, a hot gash of air came out. Read the thermometer & 42degC!!!!

Thought that my back of the cabinet is "open concept" & with 2 fans pulling near the exhaust of the chiller, it should be according to plan. SMLJ....

Decided to try out kamasutra pattern 1.

Kamasutra pattern 1.

Modified a partition that will contain the hot air & direct it to the 2 exhaust fan. Had read some where that using those circular air ducts will have no use as there are restrictions to the airflow. So came out with a box up pattern like for our car.

Confidently installed.

Kamasutra pattern 1

chillerpro3-1.jpg

Closed up the partition.

chillerpro2.jpg

Did this mod yesterday evening. By then, never see the chiller run..... until I came home this evening.... and... chiller thermostat at 29degC but chiller compartment is 32degC. Though the chiller compartment temp is low, somehow I guess the hot exhaust air from the chiller is finding hard to get out as the chiller thermostat is staying at 29deg for a long time.

So I opened both the doors of the chiller compartment & monitor the chiller thermostat. Sadly, it stays at 29degC for very very long.

Put a small room fan blowin the front of the chiller. The chiller thermostat didn't feel like budging either. It was only after I "opened" up my modded partition & within half hr, the chiller thermostat drop by 1 Deg, from 29 to 28deg.

All this while I have a external thermometer that I put inside tank & monitor the temp.

The conclusion is the exhaust of the chiller must be facing the "open concept" hole then it can be placed inside a cabinet.

Going to try out Kamasutra pattern 2 by rotating the chiller & have the chiller exhaust facing my "open concept" hole & see the temp ramp down timing.

If not, other options would be removed the door facing the back of the chiller & install a mesh. Or put the chiller outside & can make use of the space inside the chiller compartment.

Power consumption

Very dramatic pattern, no wonder temperature rises. May I suggest that you place the chiller outside.Of course, when the action starts , there will be groans but there is nothing to be embarrassed of. Practise safe act.

Learnt it from sex and the Zen.

Cheers.

• SRC Member

Very dramatic pattern, no wonder temperature rises. May I suggest that you place the chiller outside.Of course, when the action starts , there will be groans but there is nothing to be embarrassed of. Practise safe act.

Learnt it from sex and the Zen.

Cheers.

I proposed to my wifey that I moved the action outside & shifted all my tongkat Alis, Penny pump & measurement kits into the chiller compartment & I shift the chiller out. Currently my fishy stuffs occupying some shelves in my kitchen cabinet. So I can free up the space for her.... But wifey wants the "C" to be in the "C" leh. She not used to outdoor action.

Going to acrylic shop later to fabricate my skimmer stand & a piece of acrylic to cover up the intake hole for my chiller.

Power consumption

You may want to consider the following advantages of having C outside.

1. Ease of maintenance. Regular flushing of C is recommended. Carry it the bathroom and flush it clean.As simple as that.

2. With good ventilation, cool natural air blowing across the surface of C while she is engaging ,climax is reached faster, thereby saving electricity and a more efficient C.

3. Noise being louder is inevitable, but It does help to drown wife'sconstant nagging of the hobby.

Just mY $1 ( adjusted after inflation ) worth of opinion.

What say you, other reefers ?

cheers

You may want to consider the following advantages of having C outside.

1. Ease of maintenance. Regular flushing of C is recommended. Carry it the bathroom and flush it clean.As simple as that.

2. With good ventilation, cool natural air blowing across the surface of C while she is engaging ,climax is reached faster, thereby saving electricity and a more efficient C.

3. Noise being louder is inevitable, but It does help to drown wife'sconstant nagging of the hobby.

Just mY $1 ( adjusted after inflation ) worth of opinion.

What say you, other reefers ?

cheers

My suggestion is to use a drop-in titanium coil with an aircon compressor to chill a tank. Put the compressor on an aircon ledge or a balcony and there's no heat nor noise to be bothered about.

• SRC Member

Your cabinet fan would have work better if it has only limited opening at the back of the cabinet. Instead of a single huge wire mesh, one solid ply and hole for the fan only. So fresh air suck from cabinet slits outside, pass through the only way out which is the by the fan blower. And you have to have a slightly wider gap from the wall as the hot air will just get back in if it's too close unless it's one solid piece backing.

• SRC Member

Your cabinet fan would have work better if it has only limited opening at the back of the cabinet. Instead of a single huge wire mesh, one solid ply and hole for the fan only. So fresh air suck from cabinet slits outside, pass through the only way out which is the by the fan blower. And you have to have a slightly wider gap from the wall as the hot air will just get back in if it's too close unless it's one solid piece backing.

Will try to do a mod for the 1 hole for the chiller's fan. My cabinet is not sitting against the wall due to my living room wall is slanted, so gonna give last shot before moving chiller out of cabinet.

Power consumption

• SRC Member

My suggestion is to use a drop-in titanium coil with an aircon compressor to chill a tank. Put the compressor on an aircon ledge or a balcony and there's no heat nor noise to be bothered about.

Don't have an idea how a titanium coil looks like. I guess there's a supply cooling tube going into the coil & then out of the coil there's another tube that goes back to the compressor?

My tank & aircon ledge is opposite each other. So I guess if I install the compressor at the aircon ledge, then the 2 tubings will cut across the walkway. So the only way is to install the compressor near/same side as tank.

There's a ledge at the living room outside the full ceiling height window. Any idea the compressor can be installed there? Gonna call HDB & find out tomolo.

My wifey does not agree to have the compressor installed within the living room..... :nc::cry:

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Compressor outside the full height glass- my guess they will reject you flat. the fan blower may need to get a powerful one to pull the hot air out . I used aircon compressor fan previously due to the built. Pc fan that you use will just breakdown due to the high temp.

Don't have an idea how a titanium coil looks like. I guess there's a supply cooling tube going into the coil & then out of the coil there's another tube that goes back to the compressor?

My tank & aircon ledge is opposite each other. So I guess if I install the compressor at the aircon ledge, then the 2 tubings will cut across the walkway. So the only way is to install the compressor near/same side as tank.

There's a ledge at the living room outside the full ceiling height window. Any idea the compressor can be installed there? Gonna call HDB & find out tomolo.

My wifey does not agree to have the compressor installed within the living room..... :nc::cry:

The coil sits in a compartment of your sump and does a heat transfer with the compressor venting it away in the form of hot air when a certain temperature is reached.

Click on this link for visuals http://www.chill-down.com/product/air-con-compressor-chiller/

You could check to see if the compressor can be rested on the ledge with proper bracketing or mount the compressor inside with the hot air venting through the window.

Exhaust fans with a chiller in the tank cabinet are of little or no help due to the heat and humidity of Singapore's tropical climate. It only works in cool and dry climates.

• SRC Member

Compressor outside the full height glass- my guess they will reject you flat. the fan blower may need to get a powerful one to pull the hot air out . I used aircon compressor fan previously due to the built. Pc fan that you use will just breakdown due to the high temp.

Hi bro, where did u get yr compressor fan? those hardware shops?

Does it look more like...

I got this off a website. But I guess mine is a cabinet, not building, so the units cannot be used... else the fan would be bigger than than fish tank... heh heh.

The most effective way to lower the temperature inside buildings is to fit extractor fans to expel the superheated air from the roof space.

What size fan is needed?

To calculate the size of extractor fan, work out the area of the roof and multiply by 0.7. If the outside surface of the roof is dark coloured (dark colours absorb the suns heat very efficiently) add 15%:

Airflow of extractor fan (CFM) = length of roof (ft.) x width of roof (ft.) x 0.7

If the roof is dark: Airflow of extractor fan (CFM) = Airflow of extractor fan (CFM) x 1.15

Just called HDB & they will be getting the technical officer to get back to me regarding the installation at the ledge.

So yr compressor fan looks more like 2nd pic?

post-19262-0-13698700-1325731522_thumb.j

post-19262-0-77516600-1325731522_thumb.j

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Bought 2 new pieces of LR & added to enhance current structure, ehancing the 1080p of character 八。This portion will be for softies due to lower light.

rockscape1.jpg

This is another view. With the added LR, it created/enhance the path down the underflow. Going to plant waving types coral on both sides.

rockscape5.jpg

Another view

rockscape3.jpg

My newly found love. Been trying to find out the actual species of these 2. Both look like sun. But the white is singular stem. The orange is branching. Read a website on sun corals that unless u break apart a sunny & look at the bone structure then will only be able to know its type....

Sunny1.jpgsunny2.jpg

Going to frag this soon. Find that the cup size too big. Almost 1hand cannot grab....

pineapplecoral.jpg

Power consumption

• SRC Member

I used the white one before. The heat was quite strong and overtime the fan casement blade gave way. I'm using a metal case fan like below. Blower fan. The noise of the chiller muffle out the fan noise abit.

• SRC Member

I used the white one before. The heat was quite strong and overtime the fan casement blade gave way. I'm using a metal case fan like below. Blower fan. The noise of the chiller muffle out the fan noise abit.

Thanks for all the info and chiller exhaust.

After all the studying, think I got confused, never study on fan principles. I always look at fan specs when actually I want a high exhaust rate then blowing rate. Seems tat static pressure of a fan is also very important.

So if the teco's fan has a low static pressure, then there can never be a box up modification at the back of the chiller. So the exhaust part of the chiller must be as free of "obstacles" as possible for max efficiency of chiller.

Therefore I need to find a strong fan with high spec on sucking, not blowing.... though in "certain scenario" both means the same...

As usual, still waiting for the HDB officer to call me back on the ledge installation...

Power consumption