Lawchan marine tank part 2

lawchan77

haha.. they are not ich free bro. ich still lurking around but under control.

Yes ich is always present, heard many reefers quarantine their fishes well but still gonna ich in their DT. For me I introduce new fishes straight into DT, for first week sure gonna ich but always feeding food soak with garlic guard sure help alot. I also guess maybe lucky cos till now (x finger)no fishes die during their ich curing period. Now all my fishes are immune:)

haha.. they are not ich free bro. ich still lurking around but under control.

Wish to learn trick from you to control ich. Got no luck with AT in reefer tank. Bro don't get dishearted saw your reefer tank picture all very nice. Wish to learn from you more. so jia you. My right hand also got problem become very dry skin like become hard. What i do now wash with moisture soap and put moisture. Don't know is it too much bacteria in my water that cause this.

have not been updating my thread cos encountered some problems with my tank. lost a few pcs of treasured sps...

adding to the list of problems that i already have is i suddenly develop a skin reaction to sea water and coral contact.

its very discouraging and the forbidden thought of 'discom' has crossed my mind. but I'm still hanging in there and hope to work things out.

on the other hand, its encouraging to see bros taking their time to read my tank thread.. thank you.

Sorry to read about the loss of some of your SPS colonies. As a forummer has pointed out, gloves are the solution for your skin reactions to saltwater.

Do you know what caused some of your SPS corals to die?

• SRC Member

Sorry for your losses. Don't know if I am right to say this, I feel its almost unavoidable to have some sps losses if tank is less than a year old despite we tried to give our best maintenance and give it the best equipment. Parameters may lock in good but somehow the tank still lack of something that matured tank have. I had my fair share of sps losses, almost give up on sps.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear abt ur loses n skin allergy. May strong will accompany u will overcome all these obstacles. Pls dun decom, as it will be a great loss n talent to us newbis to learn from u.

Cheers bro:)

I'm hardly anything to learn from lah.. if so expert i wont have such issues already.

Huh!!! Tats bad bro... I try to look out for medication for ur skin reaction.

In mean while, hang it there. There is no problem tat cannot be solve. Cheers bro...

dont think got any medication lor.. best thing is dont touch salt water.. which is impossible...

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

• SRC Member

Wish to learn trick from you to control ich. Got no luck with AT in reefer tank. Bro don't get dishearted saw your reefer tank picture all very nice. Wish to learn from you more. so jia you. My right hand also got problem become very dry skin like become hard. What i do now wash with moisture soap and put moisture. Don't know is it too much bacteria in my water that cause this.

thank you for your kind words. I'm still very new and have alot to learn. fellow reefers are accomodating and patient lot.

AT is like a ich magnet. the white spot is never far away and surfaces at the slightest parameter change.

i also tried a few ATs but failed. my current surviving ATs are from fellow reefers who has kept them for at least a year,

when they arrive at my new tank, they are already ready to eat pellets and swim around with ease. and i find reefers fishes are more resilient to ich.

if kena ich, there are some protocols I use to ensure maximum chances for the fishes.

1. Keep salinity at 1.023 to 1.024

2. give Dr. G parasite food. some fishes dont like, so i like to give this as the first food (fishes are hungry!!) before giving pellet. fishes hungry got eat abit also good.

3. half or an hour later, give pellets soaked with brightwell garlic thoroughly (overnight even).

4. dose vit C

5. becos i dont have sand bed, i will 'vaccum' the floor using water pipe to rid of wastes and keep the tank clean. take this opportunity for about 10% water change every week.

6. Dose 'Its clear'.

as long as the fishes are eating, they are mostly fine. and if they are eating during the ich outbreak, i like to feed small amounts frequently.. this is to ensure they are have enough energy and a good immune system to keep the disease at bay.

i also put hand cream (even bring the handcream every where i go) but goes back to square one once i touch water.

i've been battling this for a few months now. started with my left hand then i changed right hand to handle corals. so now both my hands injured.

i have no fingerprints and have trouble taking out namecard or dollars cos my fingers lack friction.

i fly frequently and its a problem with immigration everytime.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Wear rubber gloves lor...I know a reefer who does that!

i also got rubber gloves and surgical gloves etc... good if just touching and placing corals but no good for scaping, handling glue or exposy, very messy!

• SRC Member
Sorry to read about the loss of some of your SPS colonies. As a forummer has pointed out, gloves are the solution for your skin reactions to saltwater. Do you know what caused some of your SPS corals to die?

my tank is infested with nudis and flatworm.

sps doing splendidly suddenly start to deteriorate and eventually die. no change of placement, light or other parameters.

a fellow reefer pointed out flatworm and we started the process of soaking and treatment. lost a few sps from the treatment but when i did a dip treatment last weekend, I STILL find flatworms. *depressed* means my problem not solved.

zoas not doing well and tore zoas garden apart to sun the rocks. but nudis still came back after 2 weeks. :thumbdown:

• SRC Member

Sorry for your losses. Don't know if I am right to say this, I feel its almost unavoidable to have some sps losses if tank is less than a year old despite we tried to give our best maintenance and give it the best equipment. Parameters may lock in good but somehow the tank still lack of something that matured tank have. I had my fair share of sps losses, almost give up on sps.

it is unavoidable to lose newly acquired sps but these sps are not new. they have been with me for at least 4 -5 months flourishing.. and suddenly they deteriorate. it is not normal.

• SRC Member

my hand is also very sensitive to corals. just last week, i LIFTED a sps (millie) and got stung. started to have swelling and pus.

also refrained from touching coral and saltwater from about 4 weeks. started to get better and so i started to clean out the tank. came back to square one at the end of the afternoon. dry and cracked again.

• SRC Member

my tank is infested with nudis and flatworm.

sps doing splendidly suddenly start to deteriorate and eventually die. no change of placement, light or other parameters.

a fellow reefer pointed out flatworm and we started the process of soaking and treatment. lost a few sps from the treatment but when i did a dip treatment last weekend, I STILL find flatworms. *depressed* means my problem not solved.

zoas not doing well and tore zoas garden apart to sun the rocks. but nudis still came back after 2 weeks. :thumbdown:

Man! That's sps tank worst nightmare.....sorry to hear that.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

thank you for your kind words. I'm still very new and have alot to learn. fellow reefers are accomodating and patient lot.

AT is like a ich magnet. the white spot is never far away and surfaces at the slightest parameter change.

i also tried a few ATs but failed. my current surviving ATs are from fellow reefers who has kept them for at least a year,

when they arrive at my new tank, they are already ready to eat pellets and swim around with ease. and i find reefers fishes are more resilient to ich.

if kena ich, there are some protocols I use to ensure maximum chances for the fishes.

1. Keep salinity at 1.023 to 1.024

2. give Dr. G parasite food. some fishes dont like, so i like to give this as the first food (fishes are hungry!!) before giving pellet. fishes hungry got eat abit also good.

3. half or an hour later, give pellets soaked with brightwell garlic thoroughly (overnight even).

4. dose vit C

5. becos i dont have sand bed, i will 'vaccum' the floor using water pipe to rid of wastes and keep the tank clean. take this opportunity for about 10% water change every week.

6. Dose 'Its clear'.

as long as the fishes are eating, they are mostly fine. and if they are eating during the ich outbreak, i like to feed small amounts frequently.. this is to ensure they are have enough energy and a good immune system to keep the disease at bay.

i also put hand cream (even bring the handcream every where i go) but goes back to square one once i touch water.

i've been battling this for a few months now. started with my left hand then i changed right hand to handle corals. so now both my hands injured.

i have no fingerprints and have trouble taking out namecard or dollars cos my fingers lack friction.

i fly frequently and its a problem with immigration everytime.

Thank for the advice and tipd for AT. Sad to heard that you got such serious skin problem. Hope that is something which will help you.

Hi Law,

a little advice from uncle. The sps pest and others are part of reefing. The whole episode when completed will make you stronger and better.

Your skin allergy is another thing altogether. Please consult a skin dermatologist and determine if you can continue this hobby or not.

Do take care.

mike

• SRC Member

Sad to say

Even sps will die in the wild..

Can diveinto the wild and u will be surprise.

So there is no such thing as having perfect water parameter

will ensure 100 perfect survival rate in one` tank--

Having exp solid tech also dont promise one's

SPS tank will thrive like no ppl biz too.

• SRC Member

I think that's the challenge and attractive part of SPS.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

• SRC Member

Bro, your Tank's awesome and inspiring! As for your skin allergy, may I suggest you try Lanolin oil from Australia.

Those that are made from Lamb's oil. My wife and friends who suffer from years of Eczema did much better with Lanolin Oil or cream.

If you can't find it in the pharmacy, PM me. I've got some bros in Australia coming back end of the month. Will get them to bring back more for me.

God Speed..

• SRC Member

Hi Law,

a little advice from uncle. The sps pest and others are part of reefing. The whole episode when completed will make you stronger and better.

Your skin allergy is another thing altogether. Please consult a skin dermatologist and determine if you can continue this hobby or not.

Do take care.

mike

i went to see a G.P and there was nothing he could do except ask me put cream to moisturize.

i didnt thought that i should see a dermatologist though.. thats a great idea.,

thanks uncle mike!

• SRC Member

Bro, your Tank's awesome and inspiring! As for your skin allergy, may I suggest you try Lanolin oil from Australia.

Those that are made from Lamb's oil. My wife and friends who suffer from years of Eczema did much better with Lanolin Oil or cream.

If you can't find it in the pharmacy, PM me. I've got some bros in Australia coming back end of the month. Will get them to bring back more for me.

God Speed..

thanks bro.. i think i will have a consult with a dermatologist first before trying anythin else.

• 1 month later...

Very impressive tank. One of the best I have seen. . . Any updates?

Reef
Tank: 48"x 24"x 24"
Lightings: Maxspect Razor 120w x 2

Skimmer: Skimz Kone SK1
Chiller: Hailea 1/4 hp w/ Aquabee 3000
Wave Maker: Tunze 6065 x 2
Return Pump: Eheim 1262
Uv: Coralife 9 watt Uv w/ Eheim compact 1000

Fowlr
Tank: 36"x 21"x 16"
Lightings: Beamswork Ultrabright Led x 2
Skimmer: Skimz SM161
Wave Maker: Maxijet 1200
Return Pump: Eheim Compact 2000

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

its been sometime I have not updated my thread cos I've been travelling intensively...

havent been buying any coral or fishes these couple of months while i contemplated my situation.

since i havent been messing with my tank, my hand has been getting better.. still no fingerprints yet, but at least no painful cracks.

the flatworm is more or less resolved too. heng ar.... took a couple of encrusted sps to dip and nothing came out.

in general, the sps seems to be thriving. but the LPS isnt doing as well as i would like though.

i've lost some sps and many zoas in the couple of months battling flatworms and nudis... and the heartpain and frustration really hit the pits.

now its 2013 and a new year spells promise of hope and inspiration. Hope that I can achieve greater things in the new year and be inspired by great events and greater people.

taken from the movie 'New Years Eve'...

"It's suspended there to remind us before we pop the champagne and celebrate the new year, to stop and reflect on the year that has gone by. To remember both our triumphs and our missteps, our promises made and broken.

The times we opened ourselves up to great adventures or closed ourselves down for fear of getting hurt coz that is what new years is all about- getting another chance.

A chance to forgive, to do better, to do more, to give more, to love more. And stop worrying about what if and start embracing what would be.

So when that ball drops at midnight and it will drop, let's remember to be nice to each other, kind to each other. And not just tonight but all year long"

its been sometime I have not updated my thread cos I've been travelling intensively...

havent been buying any coral or fishes these couple of months while i contemplated my situation.

since i havent been messing with my tank, my hand has been getting better.. still no fingerprints yet, but at least no painful cracks.

the flatworm is more or less resolved too. heng ar.... took a couple of encrusted sps to dip and nothing came out.

in general, the sps seems to be thriving. but the LPS isnt doing as well as i would like though.

i've lost some sps and many zoas in the couple of months battling flatworms and nudis... and the heartpain and frustration really hit the pits.

now its 2013 and a new year spells promise of hope and inspiration. Hope that I can achieve greater things in the new year and be inspired by great events and greater people.

taken from the movie 'New Years Eve'...

"It's suspended there to remind us before we pop the champagne and celebrate the new year, to stop and reflect on the year that has gone by. To remember both our triumphs and our missteps, our promises made and broken.

The times we opened ourselves up to great adventures or closed ourselves down for fear of getting hurt coz that is what new years is all about- getting another chance.

A chance to forgive, to do better, to do more, to give more, to love more. And stop worrying about what if and start embracing what would be.

So when that ball drops at midnight and it will drop, let's remember to be nice to each other, kind to each other. And not just tonight but all year long"

Best wishes to your hand and your tank! I am sure your will overcome it soon.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

have been away for 2 weeks in USA and came back to see one of my mandarin goby dead. socks choked up so water quality not as ideal as i would like it to be. a quick check on water parameters revealed that only PH a little high but other than that, all is well.

heng ar...

cant seem to figure out what happened to the goby though... i've had her for a year plus. fat and dancing every night with her mate.. no apparent injuries on her body that seem to cause her demise. i will miss her... their nightly dance have added many hours of entertainment. this is a video in memory of her..