Lawchan marine tank part 2

lawchan77

• SRC Member

Swee!

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

thanks bros.. i like this scape more also.. makes housekeeping so much easier.

water flow is better and coagulates at the 2 front corner of the tank. very easy to remove.

but still not ideal yet cos still got some spaces for nice colonies.. walt smith shipment delayed again and again. sigh...

Super nice,bro can u share how you feed your super sun?

my supersuns are located at the corner where the debri will accumulate.. so there usually alot of 'nutrients'.. :blush:

sometimes i will also feed small pcs of market prawn directly into the mouth.

other times i will use a syringe to feed mysis shrimp to target feed.

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

thanks bros.. i like this scape more also.. makes housekeeping so much easier.

water flow is better and coagulates at the 2 front corner of the tank. very easy to remove.

but still not ideal yet cos still got some spaces for nice colonies.. walt smith shipment delayed again and again. sigh...

my supersuns are located at the corner where the debri will accumulate.. so there usually alot of 'nutrients'.. :blush:

sometimes i will also feed small pcs of market prawn directly into the mouth.

other times i will use a syringe to feed mysis shrimp to target feed.

Clean and tidy scaping with more room for SPS coral growth!

Haha I am in the same impatient boat as you regarding the long awaited walt smith fiji sps coral shipment. Any particular species you are aiming for?

• SRC Member
Clean and tidy scaping with more room for SPS coral growth! Haha I am in the same impatient boat as you regarding the long awaited walt smith fiji sps coral shipment. Any particular species you are aiming for?
No particular species lah. I'm bad with names.... I'm interested in stags & plates and unique / unusual sps colonies in general. Wait till neck long long...

• SRC Member

Didn't get to post these from Iwarna last Australia middle of the night shipment.

Yellow stag (I think)

Funny... But these stags polyps grow in the form of 'little flowers'.. Very unique.

EDBD89A4-02F8-4FB6-BAE9-CC72124E66B4-240

Purple blue stag.

04E09318-6B82-4383-94C6-3404E0A442E7-240

Light green almost yellow monti

DCFA7650-5E3D-4E46-B10B-F6A8A54C8C6C-240

• SRC Member

And this from joe_p

Acropora lokani

Purplish blue body with red polyps

31AC71A1-7499-4EB0-B874-540BE9186DB7-240

• SRC Member

Alot of exotic sps in your tank :)

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

• SRC Member

my collection is still a far cry compared to senior reefers like uncle mike and honkit's.

still waiting for your gem too.. haha..

• SRC Member

That purple acro with blue polyps dont think is a gem lah. My tank is back to normal now, if you free tomorrow night 10-12am can come over :)

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

No particular species lah. I'm bad with names.... I'm interested in stags & plates and unique / unusual sps colonies in general. Wait till neck long long...

Ya and am still waiting on my side too lol.

The blue polyps on your yellow stag is very pretty! Was this picked up from a Fiji shipment?

• SRC Member

That purple acro with blue polyps dont think is a gem lah. My tank is back to normal now, if you free tomorrow night 10-12am can come over :)

bro.. u mean 10pm ~ 12am (midnight) or 10am ~ 12pm (noon)? I can only come during the night leh.

Ya and am still waiting on my side too lol.

The blue polyps on your yellow stag is very pretty! Was this picked up from a Fiji shipment?

picked that up from the recent australia shipment.. the polyps should be yellow. must be the lights...

• SRC Member

Ya might 10pm to midnight.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

As many of you know, I've been battling skin problem on my hands for almost a year. Each time I touch sea water or handle corals, I get a real bad reaction to the point of having no fingerprints, swollen fingers and extreme pain. The reaction is now spreading to my arms (past the wrist) and in desperation, I've finally gone to see a dermatologist today. Cost me $500 but came home with a bag full of medicine and hand wash and cream. Most importantly, I have a diagnosis.

It's not allergy but a chemical reaction to sea water. i have hand ezcema. According to the doc, its a common problem amongst marine and freshwater reefers. See the hands of a fishmonger and you will know what i mean.

Sea water is full of abrasive chemical esp when we dose chemicals like calcium, magnesium and sodium bi carbonate. Short term abrasion with chemical will damage the first layer of skin which is a protective film. But it heals quickly. However, consistent contact with these chemicals will not allow the healing and the 2nd layer of skin will be affected. After some time inflammation will take place. The whole process will take about 18 months before it get noticeably uncomfortable.

Now I'm on steroids and off limits from sea water unless wear LONG gloves. You know how inconvenient that is....

My next follow up is a week later.

I'm sure alot of reefers have this problem but never voice out. After all, guys will be guys.... Our egos do not allow us to whine about such little discomfort. But take heed that it is a disease and if left untreated will continue to attack your nails and spread all the way up to the underarms.

So that's my story. Feel free to contact me if u have the same problem. I'll be most willing to share.

• SRC Member

Hope you will recover from this allergy soon. What I practice is everytime I contacted my tank seawater, I will rinse my hands with running tapwater and wipe dry. Wont let the chemical stay too long on the skin. So far has been lucky.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

As many of you know, I've been battling skin problem on my hands for almost a year. Each time I touch sea water or handle corals, I get a real bad reaction to the point of having no fingerprints, swollen fingers and extreme pain. The reaction is now spreading to my arms (past the wrist) and in desperation, I've finally gone to see a dermatologist today. Cost me $500 but came home with a bag full of medicine and hand wash and cream. Most importantly, I have a diagnosis.

It's not allergy but a chemical reaction to sea water. i have hand ezcema. According to the doc, its a common problem amongst marine and freshwater reefers. See the hands of a fishmonger and you will know what i mean.

Sea water is full of abrasive chemical esp when we dose chemicals like calcium, magnesium and sodium bi carbonate. Short term abrasion with chemical will damage the first layer of skin which is a protective film. But it heals quickly. However, consistent contact with these chemicals will not allow the healing and the 2nd layer of skin will be affected. After some time inflammation will take place. The whole process will take about 18 months before it get noticeably uncomfortable.

Now I'm on steroids and off limits from sea water unless wear LONG gloves. You know how inconvenient that is....

My next follow up is a week later.

I'm sure alot of reefers have this problem but never voice out. After all, guys will be guys.... Our egos do not allow us to whine about such little discomfort. But take heed that it is a disease and if left untreated will continue to attack your nails and spread all the way up to the underarms.

So that's my story. Feel free to contact me if u have the same problem. I'll be most willing to share.

Bro please note that the steroids doc gave only solve the surface issue. Did doc advise to slowly wean off and allow your skin to recover the layer and produce natural oil by itself?

Ive similar problem but more of foot rot than hand rot tho once awhile my hands do peel after touching dusty stuff or sweating too much.

What I do is to wash them with a mild soap throughly (ie. cetafil) then apply vaseline. both you can find in guardian or ntuc.

Complete your doc's medicine and at the same time do some 保养 here and there.

hope these help

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member
Hope you will recover from this allergy soon. What I practice is everytime I contacted my tank seawater, I will rinse my hands with running tapwater and wipe dry. Wont let the chemical stay too long on the skin. So far has been lucky.
Ya that helps if the first layer of skin hasn't been eroded yet. I practiced washing hands after contact with sea water too but didn't do anything for me. The reaction start with first contact with sea water that contains CA, MG and KH. Even freshwater also contains these chemicals but lesser. Doc advised me no contact with shellfish, raw food, even prolonged contact period with freshwater no swimming...

• SRC Member
Bro please note that the steroids doc gave only solve the surface issue. Did doc advise to slowly wean off and allow your skin to recover the layer and produce natural oil by itself? Ive similar problem but more of foot rot than hand rot tho once awhile my hands do peel after touching dusty stuff or sweating too much. What I do is to wash them with a mild soap throughly (ie. cetafil) then apply vaseline. both you can find in guardian or ntuc. Complete your doc's medicine and at the same time do some 保养 here and there. hope these help
You are right. I am given only a week of steroids till I see him next week again. The key now is to control the swell and inflammation before starting the skin starts to heal. By the way, I also have foot rot for many years. I soak my feet in hot water + dettol every day after I return home. It seemed to help. Took the opportunity to consult the dermatologist too. Apparently foot rot can be CURED. It's basically a fungal infection unlike my hand and treated with antibiotic.

I'm also experiencing some skin problems with my skin. Everytime I do tank maintenance my right hand will end up with rashes. The rashes was so itchy, I couldn't sleep at night unless I apply so antiseptic. I've been looking for suitable long gloves but so far only the tunze one is suitable but they are expensive. so the search continues. good luck to you!

• SRC Member
Bro, once better, avoid using steroids as it will also thin ya skin. Moisturizer will slowly help to recover. Take care manz!
Yes, you're right. Doc says steroids is only prescribed to me for 5 days till I see him again a week later. Long term steroid usage can cause other problems like cataracts. But my condition is chronic so have to use steroids first to control. Now my hand getting better and I've managed to avoid touching salt water so far. Although still cracked and dry at least no more pain and swelling has subsided significantly.

• SRC Member
I'm also experiencing some skin problems with my skin. Everytime I do tank maintenance my right hand will end up with rashes. The rashes was so itchy, I couldn't sleep at night unless I apply so antiseptic. I've been looking for suitable long gloves but so far only the tunze one is suitable but they are expensive. so the search continues. good luck to you!
After my experience, I've realized that it is such a common problem but so under discussed... Heard from a fellow reefer that Home Fix store sells long gloves too by the brand called Sally I think. I haven't checked it out yet but I will. And I'm now using a hand cream and soap called 'cetaphil'. It's quite effective and doesn't sting cracked skin, ultra moisturize without being oily. Check it out. According to my doc, the more you scratch the worse the damage. Abrasion, inflammation, itch and swell. It's a vicious cycle.

Just to share my experience.

I started my marine fish two year ago before that in freshwater aquarium.

Mine is a fowlr tank. Initially I use nsw for water change and I have no problem with the skin at my right hand fingers. Due to parasites in the nsw, I start to use salt mix. Every thing go well, then I started to develop dry skin and crack on my right hand fingers, started this problem about 9 month ago. I have used salt mix for more tthan 1 and half year. I suspect it is due to the brand of the salt mix. I been change different brands of salt mix along way. But laterly, stick to one brand about 1 year ago. Before this brand I have no problem with my fingers.

Now, I have recovered almost 90%. Still have a bit of dry skin and peel.

Do you know about marine TB, mycobacterium marinum. It is very dangerous. It is bacteria. The tank may look free from ich. But it is more difficult to tell it is free from bacteria. Search the name, you will know why.

Can you pm me the salt mix that you are using now if any. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
  • Like 1