Lawchan marine tank part 2

lawchan77

tank hasnt been doing well since the blister. a series of bad luck including the temperature sensor went haywire for a week. lost MANY colonies.

finally things start to get stable again..

some new additions to start over.

IMG_3256_zps072dd6c9.jpg

IMG_3259_zpsa5d2f193.jpg

IMG_3260_zpsa7c24a67.jpg

IMG_3236_zpsfc067f6e.jpg

IMG_3257_zps167bc4e3.jpg

Time to get an aquarium controller bro. One that has a kill switch that kills all buttons once temperature runs up to an unbearable high.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

hhaha.. quite the opposite.. the temperature went lowww,,,

i usually keep 25 ~ 26 degrees and tank will only fog up during rainy and cold nights.

but it kept fogging up during the day and the weather was so hot and humid the past couple of weeks i thought it was the weather.

i decided to check it out when the floor started to get soaked due to the condensation (i thought there was a leak..with my luck i won't be surprised).

started to lose one colony after another and couldnt figure out why so keep thinking its the blistering incident.

then finally asked compressor guy to check the sensor out... turned out that the water is too cold. :shock: :shock:

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

• SRC Member

Learn something new today, sps too cold also cannot. Btw, it went down to how cold?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

hhaha.. quite the opposite.. the temperature went lowww,,,

i usually keep 25 ~ 26 degrees and tank will only fog up during rainy and cold nights.

but it kept fogging up during the day and the weather was so hot and humid the past couple of weeks i thought it was the weather.

i decided to check it out when the floor started to get soaked due to the condensation (i thought there was a leak..with my luck i won't be surprised).

started to lose one colony after another and couldnt figure out why so keep thinking its the blistering incident.

then finally asked compressor guy to check the sensor out... turned out that the water is too cold. :shock: :shock:

ouch ><

anyway bro, please monitor your kh and ca. your colonies tt big is gonna hurt your ca and kh levels.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Nearly lost this ssc colony due to the blister episode. Turned brown overnight and now recovering. Colour still have not as good as previously but at least it's holding strong now. Heng har..

null_zpse4b73dbc.jpg

• SRC Member

Some new additions null_zps2014d9e5.jpgnull_zps0b0a912f.jpgnull_zps0099645d.jpg

Never fail to amaze with your new additions!! :D

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

hhaha.. quite the opposite.. the temperature went lowww,,, i usually keep 25 ~ 26 degrees and tank will only fog up during rainy and cold nights. but it kept fogging up during the day and the weather was so hot and humid the past couple of weeks i thought it was the weather. i decided to check it out when the floor started to get soaked due to the condensation (i thought there was a leak..with my luck i won't be surprised). started to lose one colony after another and couldnt figure out why so keep thinking its the blistering incident. then finally asked compressor guy to check the sensor out... turned out that the water is too cold. :shock: :shock:
The sps colonies are amazing! Hope all's well now that the mystery of the dying colonies is solved.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

As many of you know, I've been battling skin problem on my hands for almost a year. Each time I touch sea water or handle corals, I get a real bad reaction to the point of having no fingerprints, swollen fingers and extreme pain. The reaction is now spreading to my arms (past the wrist) and in desperation, I've finally gone to see a dermatologist today. Cost me $500 but came home with a bag full of medicine and hand wash and cream. Most importantly, I have a diagnosis. It's not allergy but a chemical reaction to sea water. i have hand ezcema. According to the doc, its a common problem amongst marine and freshwater reefers. See the hands of a fishmonger and you will know what i mean. Sea water is full of abrasive chemical esp when we dose chemicals like calcium, magnesium and sodium bi carbonate. Short term abrasion with chemical will damage the first layer of skin which is a protective film. But it heals quickly. However, consistent contact with these chemicals will not allow the healing and the 2nd layer of skin will be affected. After some time inflammation will take place. The whole process will take about 18 months before it get noticeably uncomfortable. Now I'm on steroids and off limits from sea water unless wear LONG gloves. You know how inconvenient that is.... My next follow up is a week later. I'm sure alot of reefers have this problem but never voice out. After all, guys will be guys.... Our egos do not allow us to whine about such little discomfort. But take heed that it is a disease and if left untreated will continue to attack your nails and spread all the way up to the underarms. So that's my story. Feel free to contact me if u have the same problem. I'll be most willing to share.
Oh my gosh. I'm speechless. This can happen to anyone but I guess it inflicts more on those with sps since there are more chemicals and dosing involved? Incidentally, are there anyone who suffered really bad allergies after handling some corals? I hope your condition is better now. Take care.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

Nice deep water sps that you have just acquired. Hmm...with Dragons in your reef castle, both of you will soon be known as The Medieval Knight and Lady .<br />On a more serious reef mode, I find deep water species very intriguing.<br />I like the form and their slow growth rate suit me as well.<br />That's where my direction will be. To lookout for some unknown deep water sps.<br />Cheers<br />YT.

Looking really good!

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

The sps colonies are amazing! Hope all's well now that the mystery of the dying colonies is solved.

its still a mystery... never found out what triggered the blister.

Oh my gosh. I'm speechless. This can happen to anyone but I guess it inflicts more on those with sps since there are more chemicals and dosing involved? Incidentally, are there anyone who suffered really bad allergies after handling some corals? I hope your condition is better now. Take care.

yes, you're absolutely right. fiddling with dosing and mixing the salt will worsen the condition.

and that will enable corals to sting easily as the skin loses the protective layer and thinned down.

• SRC Member

Nice deep water sps that you have just acquired. Hmm...with Dragons in your reef castle, both of you will soon be known as The Medieval Knight and Lady .<br />On a more serious reef mode, I find deep water species very intriguing.<br />I like the form and their slow growth rate suit me as well.<br />That's where my direction will be. To lookout for some unknown deep water sps.<br />Cheers<br />YT.

haha.. dragons difficult to keep. hopefully they wont be extinct soon. i'm new with these deepwater species and still testing out their characteristics. so far i've placed them at the bottom half of the tank and still observing.

much to learn from you uncle mikey.

• SRC Member

just to share..

getting rid of algae can be quite a pain.. using a manual toothbrush knocks down surrounding corals in tight places.

i use an electronic toothbrush and it makes cleaning much easier. of cos getting rid of the algae in 1 place is just a temporary solution and the real concern can be other water parameters which is the root cause. but still, this is really a good tool to have.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

bro, nice idea of using electric toothbrush to clear algae.. this make the job so much easier.. but will the toothbrush last as soak in sea water?

Any new update for ur tank?

still got kopi session at ur place?.. I m interested to join in.. :eyebrow:

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos