Peacock mantis shrimp tank.

FD2R

Yeah i did, that's why i find em so amazing. Am gonna use an acrylic tank for him/her. So i guess only coral farm has em? and how much are we looking at? Thanks!

• SRC Member

I hope you're not planning to keep one in an IQ5 as it is too small for a peacock mantis...

Just some things you need to consider before keeping one:

1. It has the potential of breaking glass (and as mentioned above, acrylic as well), so getting a tank with thicker walls should help.

2. There is certain risk in putting your bare hands in the tank, so precaution has to be taken. If you plan to add corals, do it before you add the mantis. I would stick a note beside the tank to serve as a reminder as well as to warn others about the danger.

3. Tank maintenance may be a problem, so a magnet cleaner would help.

4. Bio load may be high depending on what you feed, so be prepared for regular water changes.

i do water changes every week at least once. Am planning to get a better tank so yeah. Am im aware of the above mentioned. So where can i get one from? which LFS? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of misinformation in this thread. I was interested in this some time ago.

Peacock mantis' are one of the biggest mantis shrimp. Nonetheless, there are no documented accounts of glass breaking, much less acrylic(bends, doesn't quite break) in captivity.

These are hardy creatures, their bio load is relatively high but they do not die easily.

They can be an issue to feed.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/index.html#directory

Look for Odontodactylus scyllarus.

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/faq.htm

General FAQ.

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/care/maintain.htm

General Caresheet.

When you want to keep something, do it right.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

There are two types of mantis, one the smasher and the other the spearer.

The way the two catch their prey are different :)

smasher goes for crabs more than fishes while the spearer goes for fishes more than crabs :)

Im current keeping a juve peacock for 3mnths liao... Easy to keep, eats anything that hits the water. Mines a 1.5 ft tank. Do consider a mat under ur substrate if u intend to keep one. They smash bottom tank more than the sides

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 years later...