Frozen krill for lionfish, where to buy???

Slayer213

Hi, just got myself a baby lionfish. Im currently feeding it frozen mysis shrimp which he readily accepted. Since its still a baby, i figure mysis should be sufficient. However, when i grows i think mysis will be a little too small for a juvenile lion. Any suggestions? I thought about silversides from the market, but those tends to be too big for a juvenile lion, maybe when it reaches adult, that will be ok. But what do i feed juvenile lions? Im not very keen and comfortable on feeding live food, so mollies, ghost shrimps and goldfish are out. Anyone know where can i get frozen krills? I know hikari actually do produce them but haven seen any lfs selling it... Please advice.

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Hi, just got myself a baby lionfish. Im currently feeding it frozen mysis shrimp which he readily accepted. Since its still a baby, i figure mysis should be sufficient. However, when i grows i think mysis will be a little too small for a juvenile lion. Any suggestions? I thought about silversides from the market, but those tends to be too big for a juvenile lion, maybe when it reaches adult, that will be ok. But what do i feed juvenile lions? Im not very keen and comfortable on feeding live food, so mollies, ghost shrimps and goldfish are out. Anyone know where can i get frozen krills? I know hikari actually do produce them but haven seen any lfs selling it... Please advice.

Maybe can look around in wet market, normally I buy from wet market for fishing.

• SRC Member

Maybe can look around in wet market, normally I buy from wet market for fishing.

I once bought mine from wet market too.

But the problem is the wet market seldom have them.

I remember like I only saw 1 to 2 times out of my numerous visits....

Which market always have them??

• 5 years later...
  • SRC Member

If you're not squeamish, what you could try (I did this for my other predators, not lions though) is to buy live feeder shrimp, gutload them with some pellet food, then quickly put them into a plastic bag and throw into the freezer. The freezing will kill any parasites in the shrimp. For added guarantee, you can add seachem garlic extract to "marinate" the frozen shrimp later on to entice your lion to eat. When you need it, just pick one or two shrimp out of the freezer bag, shrimp defrosts quickly.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I have also done this with feeder fish also, except for fish I try my best to euthanize them quickly by shocking them to death in ice cold water, then removing the obviously diseased ones before I finally marinate with garlic extract and freeze them.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app