my DIY acrylic tank

^GeNoME^

after 2 years of researching on www.reefcentral.com. i finally embarked on my journey to make my own acrylic tank.. just to share.. :)

I tried various shortcut in the past to prep the edges till the point where i finally decided to do it the "right" way/... and that is to build a router table!

IMG_20120306_200518.jpg

followed by trimming of the edges by routering 1mm away at each side at a time until all edges were smooth and straight..

IMG_20120306_200547.jpg

this is the saw cut edge..

IMG_20120306_203834.jpg

after routering..

IMG_20120306_203803.jpg

preparing the acrylic for glueing..

IMG_20120307_101450.jpg

my glueing rig.. essential for supporting the vertical pc and making sure that it is at a right angle..

IMG_20120307_102326.jpg

IMG_20120307_102336.jpg

i am using 25G needle to space the acrylics apart so that my glue can melt the surfaces before joining..

I am using weldon 4 for this application..

applying the glue..

IMG_20120307_103508.jpg

slight overhanging end is needed to facilitate glueing.. after while it can be router away to make it flush..

IMG_20120307_124654.jpg

i waited for 4hrs before moving the jig and proceed to the other side.. after 2 days.. got all sides to stick!

IMG_20120307_162820.jpg

IMG_20120307_162829.jpg

router the overhanging ends away before glueing the top the bottom pcs..

IMG_20120308_120120.jpg

I need to make proper top out of a whole pc of acrylic with curved ends so that it will be the strongest..

should have made a template instead of cutting it 1 side at a time.. this process nearly killed me..

DSC06785.jpg

DSC06786.jpg

finaly product..

DSC06787.jpg

glueing the top the bottom on using the same pin method..

IMG_20120308_131152.jpg

water testing! :yahoo:

IMG_20120312_122230.jpg

take a look at the seams! it needs to be completely transparent so that it will be the strongest..

DSC06777.jpg

this is an example of a glue edge with edges not routered.. full of bubbles.. truely unsightly

DSC06783.jpg

actually cast acrylic has got a compression force of 1ton per cm^2 so it is really strong if u engineered and made it well. nothing to worry about. just that normal people perception abt plastic is weak!

Yes, it's true but if you are the first timer to engineer your own acrylic stand, then I would advice you to think twice. The weight of the water and LR is no joke, so better to be safe than sorry :rolleyes: .

Btw, nice tank :welldone: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Hi bro...

May i know where you get the router bits and what is the price?

Thks,

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

kudos to this project. As i have worked with 3mm acrylic and invest in some equipment namely dremel, accessories like bit and etc. I only use cut and snap method for the 3mm acrylic, and find it difficult to achieve a true straight edge. Looking at the thickness, minimium should be 6mm if not more, whole lot of other equipments come in play like the saw with special saw blades, router and bits, working bench and etc...

u can start taking order for acrylic tank and accessories, haha.....

The equipments invested is certainly more than buying the tank itself BUT the satisfaction probably is priceless.

• SRC Member

The acrylic stand DO looks weak. I really think you need more reinforcement. Better do reinforcement now, then later when tank is up, then realise that problems with stand starts.

Well done.. Very well made.. I'm sure the satisfaction of making your own tank is priceless!

The stand is alright n fully functional.. juz bcos it is made of plastic n pple perception is so negative..felt so demoralised.. if u take a took at those normal wooden stand.. barely few pc of wood supporting n it is already strong.. chingchaigot a nano tank with stand made fr acrylic.. pls take a look as well

Thx for the few positive comments.. the satisfaction is certainly much more than ordering it ready made..nthis tank is 10mm all rounded

• SRC Member

Bro, I think you misunderstood our intentions. Most of us have safety in mind, and we tend to swing to the "better be safe than sorry" side. If you are really confident that it is strong, durable, and can take not just vertical, but horizontal displacement, go for it! All da best! ^_^

looks like your project is looking pretty good! i do hope that i would get the courage and skill to make my own tank myself,. hoping to get some ideas here so i went throuhg this post. i reckon thatt the information here may also be helpful when i start on my own project although i still have a lot of reseasrching to do hopefully i will be able to get some good materials as well and be able to save up that buy the already made ones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dude may i know where you got your acrylic from and for how much? and also what glue you use? for my acrylic tank i used WELDON 3, wondering what you used. I have a new project in mind again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...