post-1182-0-60664400-1333117029_thumb.jp

It is often amaze to see a frogfish as one of the most unquie sea animal found in the ocean and in our aquarium. The frogfish is amazing able to blend itself perfectly with their surrounding in the ocean. Some of the frogfish have fleshly flaos that mimic algae, while others are covered in a warty texture which look identical to sponges or rubble.

post-0-0-03981700-1333117134_thumb.jpg

Frogfish are shallow water fish, living in a variety of substrates from algal flats, to rock strewn slopes, and sandy plains.Frogfish also vary greatly in size, from the size of your thumbnail to a slightly deflated soccer ball. They can perch themselves in uncanny positions and remain there for extended periods of time.

A video of the frog fish feeding.

A frogfish attracts and snags fish with the use of an illicium, a rod-and-lure-type spine that protrudes from the animal's forehead and dangles over its mouth. Once the prey approaches and attempts to bite on the tip of the illicium, the frogfish quickly opens its mouth wide and sucks in the animal. Because frogfish don't have teeth, the chemicals in their digestive track do most of the work of breaking down their prey.

While Frog fish can be a very interesting ,fascinating and beautiful fish, it is not recommended for those new to keeping saltwater aquariums mainly due to it's diet. Live feed is necessary to get it to feed initially and slowly switching over to frozen food to remove it;s dependency on live feed.

• Haha 1

is it common to see fish farm selling captive bred frog fish which is readily feeding on frozen food?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Recommended to keep in shallow tanks for easy feeding.

It is truly an amazing fish. Feeding can be quite expensive if you use chromis or damsels etc.

Problem with molly or ghost shrimp is that they do not last long in saltwater and you will have to clean the dead leftovers later.

This is a fish to keep in isolation..remembered gobbled one of my 2 inch tomato clown in a single gulp....

I had one that ate my pellet-trained mandarin goby which was 1.5 bigger than the frog....managed to train him to eat chopped market prawn after 2 weeks... Sadly, he still prefer the big mandarin....

I've seen a few from time to time at CF. Considered having one in a tank by itself, but not sure if I want to try to maintain two tanks. Great info. Thanks.

I had one that ate my pellet-trained mandarin goby which was 1.5 bigger than the frog....managed to train him to eat chopped market prawn after 2 weeks... Sadly, he still prefer the big mandarin....

I hear mandarins are toxic. Did the frogfish get a tummyache?
Not so sure about the tummyache, but i managed to keep him for another 2 mnths before it dies, not sure why also... Probly the slow acting poison from the mandarin!

Nice fish to watch in the sea instead of in the tank..

my brother in law has one of the common one frog fish. feeds its guppy and silver fish...love to see the eat!!!

pretty amazing fish