Chiller setup: Return to Display or Sump?

momopeach

Curious as to how the bros/sis(s) here setup your chiller returns, to the main display or back to sump.

Back to display seems the more logical way, but with all the extra pipings/tubings running around, not the prettiest of way.

However, returning the chilled water back to the sump to be chilled again also seems odd, unless the chiller is configured to have an external thermostat taking temperature direct from the main display.

Also saw from online that returning to main display causes a cold spot in the tank, which might not necessarily be good.

Any thoughts/advise?

• SRC Member

I prefer pumping the chilled water back to the main as it could act as a backup would the return pump failed

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

Return pump to chiller to display. You don't want the chill water to cool down your return pump first before going back to display. Besides, you will want your tank temp to be as close to your chiller temp where the thermostat is.

• SRC Member

Return to display for maximum efficiency. Returning to sump lets the water gain some amount of heat. Electricity is not cheap.

• Like 1

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Sucks. When I set up my tank, I didnt take in to this chiller piping or route into consideration. I think best practise is get a slightly overpowered return pump.

Then do this: return pump ==> chiller ==> main tank

Currently, mine is just : return pump ==> main tank.

Without any consideration for the chiller.

Now headache liao, thinking if I should

(1) engage the piping guy to come by and redo the pipes? Means pay some more $$$ for the work.

I am v poor in DIY, wouldnt be brave enough to DIY something as critical as pipings.

Or

(2) buy another pump just to pump to chiller and then back to main tank... messier and ugly and yes, one extra pump, one extra heat and electrical bill.

Sianzzz....

• SRC Member

bro, suggest buying another pump to chiller and back to DT.

One of the disadvantage of pumping to chiller and back to DT compared to back to sump is you need a stronger pump due to head loss when travelling back to DT. If back to sump, can use a pump with smaller footprint.

I have heard that the Europeans favour the 'closed loop' system. Water is drawn directly from DT, pumped into chiller and back into DT. This is a separate loop and water doesn't go to the sump. Advantage is your chiller can still operate when you are doing maintenance in the sump, and less head loss due to no head loss from the "suction and pressure side". No idea what it means, maybe the engineers can explain.

i did an experiment with my 3 footer previously

using resun cl650

return to sump, cool faster, kick in faster

return to main, cool longer, kick in slower

using arctica 1/3 or 1/4

no significant difference

prefer to main as it double as a return pump and create more flow

I prefer chiller back to sump .Let the return pump move the chill water back to display.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 6 months later...

My views on the two methods

1. Return to sump, cool faster and kick in faster maybe due to the actual cooling of the water within the sump only and some additional water flowing into the sump while the kicking in faster is due to the fast replace of the Display tank water flowing into the sump. This may need a smaller capacity chiller as the amount of water to cool is relative lesser than the display tank capacity.

2. Return to main, cool longer and kick in slower, cools the water in the display tank fully so takes longer time to cool and kick in slower

As for the idea of using the water from the display tank -> chiller -> back to the display tank seem interesting to try out.

:cheers:

• SRC Member

The ' display tank to chiller and back to display tank ' might be due to reefer not using sump but with overflow filtration system in the display tank. If using a sump and doing the above, kinda waste electricity as the operation of 2 pump would increase the electricity cost.

I prefer return to sump although chiller kick in faster.

In my view, return to main, with additional pipe to the main tank is quite messy in outlook

To pump the water to the main tank, required a longer pipe, therefore a bigger chiller pump may be required. ( height )

This increase power consumption and more heat regenerate in the tank.

My 2cent

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I have heard that the Europeans favour the 'closed loop' system. Water is drawn directly from DT, pumped into chiller and back into DT. This is a separate loop and water doesn't go to the sump. Advantage is your chiller can still operate when you are doing maintenance in the sump, and less head loss due to no head loss from the "suction and pressure side". No idea what it means, maybe the engineers can explain.

Noted that with such setup, the disadvantage is that water flowing to the cooling chamber is not pre-filtered. Your chiller will then lose cooling efficiency sooner due to deposits and will need more frequent flushing/cleaning.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

For me i'm going to connect both my return pump and chiller pump together back to display tank. Reason being to enhance the water flow. Will that be good? I haven't get it done yet as my chiller haven't arrive. Newbie here kindly advise.

• SRC Member
For me i'm going to connect both my return pump and chiller pump together back to display tank. Reason being to enhance the water flow. Will that be good? I haven't get it done yet as my chiller haven't arrive. Newbie here kindly advise.

Not advised. 2 flows converging into 1 pipe of all similar size only will cause a restrictive bottleneck at the t-joint. The one joining at the middle joint at the t-joint suffers the most blockage.

Unless if u want to have 2 return pipes going separately back into display.