hawaiian strawberry crab's 2nd pregnancy

demonsori

• SRC Member

2nd time this mama crab got pregnant, 1st batch of est 200 larvae lasted 8 days floating around..

fed with frozen rotifiers n liquifry.

Estimate one more week before tiny eyes appear?

what shld i feed this batch of larvae? probably wil split into 2 gallon jars this time for cleaner water

• SRC Member

2nd time this mama crab got pregnant, 1st batch of est 200 larvae lasted 8 days floating around..

fed with frozen rotifiers n liquifry.

Estimate one more week before tiny eyes appear?

what shld i feed this batch of larvae? probably wil split into 2 gallon jars this time for cleaner water

post-14689-0-03575600-1338392612_thumb.j

post-14689-0-63622900-1338392617.jpg

post-14689-0-25388000-1338392684_thumb.j

post-14689-0-64070900-1338392919_thumb.j

post-14689-0-67977300-1338393000_thumb.j

Well done. Singapore strawberry crabs are borned.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Well done. I could never get mine to have eggs although I have like 10 of them. Looking at the larvae reminds me of harlequin shrimp larvae. You should consider live rotifers in the beginning for about 10 days and start feeding newly hatched artemia after that. Dead food tends to foul the water and success rate is greatly diminished as they lack the enzymes that live prey carry which is crucial for larvae.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Well done. I could never get mine to have eggs although I have like 10 of them. Looking at the larvae reminds me of harlequin shrimp larvae. You should consider live rotifers in the beginning for about 10 days and start feeding newly hatched artemia after that. Dead food tends to foul the water and success rate is greatly diminished as they lack the enzymes that live prey carry which is crucial for larvae.

don't have any experience nor time for culturing live rotifiers, would a larger raising tank with frozen rotifiers be fine? Have another female in 2.5ft tank but cant trap it out. are you having any females now ? only found 2 from AM so far out of 30 over they had... i'm looking for more females..

• SRC Member

I'm not aware of any crustacean larvae being reared successfully 100% on frozen prey. I think I might have 4-5 females. The males have larger claws.

generally larger claws, blacker tips on claws...

Only sure sign is bottom of belly sharp or rounded.. intend to let go some females? pass u some larvae to try if u have time to try them out?

if this batch hatches well-- female kept in gallon jar as i'm awaiting new 2 ft tank setup this sunday,

less water volume less stability

• SRC Member

Bad news-- eggs nt turning darker this time round.. 90% of eggs released from abdomen..

Unfertilised or due to my constant spying n shining led torch into tank? On leave n too curious n impatient.

Females supposedly able to store sperm like guppies to fertilise a few broods without mating..

post-14689-0-28778300-1339016446.jpg