Where to buy chaeto?

• SRC Member

Hey brothers,

Just want to know which LFS carries chaeto for sale? Thanks.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

I got spare can pass to u, if u stay near my place buangkok crescent.

Gary

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

I got spare can pass to u, if u stay near my place buangkok crescent.

Gary

Thanks bro, I am actually very near in Sengkang. I will arrange to collect them within the next few days :D

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

if got extra, can I have some? :D:D

Thanks bro, I am actually very near in Sengkang. I will arrange to collect them within the next few days :D

Yup I got More then enough for u all, whatsapp or SMS me to arrange for collection.

• Like 1

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

If they is light, they will survive, but not sure whether the cheato will be suck down by the return pump.

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• 1 month later...

Excess nutrients viz. phosphates and iron (imo) are one of the causes of red slime besides wrong light spectrum. Mine did very well under two of the ordinary Phillips 840 T5 slim 2feet tubes. U can use amoxicillin tablet, just one will do, to knock out the slime (if u can get hold of the tablets) or else painfully hose away the red slime n siphon them off. It may take some effort till ur tank's biosystem is regained.

Good luck

The light mentioned is not the usual 'daylight bulb' which has a code 54 or the warm white tube. Phillips also make T5s with code 865 which gives off a ghostly white hue. The light mentioned has been used successfully by Dutch aquarists in the '60s n featured in a magazine called Today's Aquarium (don't know if it's still in circulation). And I'm still using them in my sump (thank Phillips for its availability). Do remember that the tablet mentioned will show very rapid result but the slime will regenerate if the current problem is not rectified. The skimmer is totally hopeless in this case. Also, I presume, u run a chiller?

Okay, most electrical shops will have stocks. The paper holder will show 'cool white'. Only thing is 2 make sure the colour code is 840. In fact Osram, Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic, etc., also have cool white tubes. But I'll stick 2 Phillips. The last current price at most shops at Kelantan Lane (off Jalan Besar) is around $4 to $5 for a two-footer but those in housing estates tend to charge more.

The Dutch guy's tank featured a few types of caulerpas (macro algae) a pair of pyjama cardinals(S. nematoptera) and a huge bubble coral. The whole scenario was like an outdoor scene lit by sunlight. Basically, corals need a different setting viz. HO tubes, metal halides or some of the latest leds (I'm not buying at the moment 'cos the market's dishing out new designs at quite a fast rate). Having gone thru' the gauntlet of available lights in the past, I guess i'll just wait and see for the time being.

So the light mentioned is strictly for the chaeto. But if u want a more stable enviro, it's best 2 go for an ATS. And that's what I've done. Do check Santa Monica's postings for more details. I recently gave up on the chaeto and my set-up has never been healthier. BTW my tank is a 20yr-old four-footer and houses a few types of mushrooms, an Asfur, a pair of pygmy bi-color angels, three blue-eyed cardinals , a pair of black perculas, two ocellaris, a pair of pyjama cardinals and two rainbow wrasses (T. amblycephalum). They eat like pigs and have been around for close to a year. (NB. My main tank lights r nothing to yak about s they r a pair of T8s and some wrongly bought led tubes (15w and 18w respec.)

Like I'd said earlier, no more buying till the dust has settled...Par 38, next Radion, next Pharos, Ophek, Beamworks....Mazzara....gosh!!

Lol! If u read carefully, there's nothing fantastic about my tank. All that I'm saying is that if u r going high-tech n is willing 2 spend $xxxxx...inclu. getting someone 2 service ur tank or tanks regularly, u can sit back n relax. That chap will trouble-shoot everything 4 u. In my case, it's experience teaches a fool. And I've found the ATS (diyed it myself based on IT gleened info.) very workable although sceptics (it's 2 cheap 2 to be true) will still run huge skimmers with filter socks n weekly water changes, activated carbon, vodkas,FL filters, calcium reactors,etc...to produce the ultimate scenarios.

At the end of the day, we work with what we r comfortable with n enjoy what we can afford.

Hope I haven't use any vocab. wrongly n point u in the wrong direction.

• SRC Member

haha well said i think im more incline to ur thinking

keep it low cost and will b happy if i discover something low cost and effective

and mayb share with reefers like you

can u show me pic of ur ats ? im thinkin of constructin one

• 1 year later...