Bubble algae infestation!

• SRC Member

first time encounter this and i popped them in my tank now they're like wild fire. is there anyway to remove it?? other then the legendary emerald crab? help needed!

wat color, red or green?

yr top up water maybe not pure enough.

never pop a bubble as it will spread. the emerald crab will surrender first n they might not eat what u want them to eat. search on net n u find answers like taking yr liverocks n scrub them.

maybe adding a uv lamp will help to kill the pores.

buy sea urchin n try out.

or just wait for them to die off.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

wat color, red or green?

yr top up water maybe not pure enough.

never pop a bubble as it will spread. the emerald crab will surrender first n they might not eat what u want them to eat. search on net n u find answers like taking yr liverocks n scrub them.

maybe adding a uv lamp will help to kill the pores.

buy sea urchin n try out.

or just wait for them to die off.

u mean leave it and slowly it will go away.

• SRC Member

u mean leave it and slowly it will go away.

I've try tat red bubbles, those spikey sea urchin where sushi shop open them up to see them, will eat them. but green ones they dun care. tuxedo also dun eat the green ones. I also have green bubble. So I do wat it shows on YouTube, use a plastic tube to dislodge n suck it down into my filter bag in my sump. tat way yr water level maintains. only issue is the pores will get released bck. maybe hook up a uv lighting in line with the hose can help... hmmm.. should get a uv unit now for me...

last I read tat yellow tang will pick at them, but not good idea as they will release the spores.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member
I've try tat red bubbles, those spikey sea urchin where sushi shop open them up to see them, will eat them. but green ones they dun care. tuxedo also dun eat the green ones. I also have green bubble. So I do wat it shows on YouTube, use a plastic tube to dislodge n suck it down into my filter bag in my sump. tat way yr water level maintains. only issue is the pores will get released bck. maybe hook up a uv lighting in line with the hose can help... hmmm.. should get a uv unit now for me...

last I read tat yellow tang will pick at them, but not good idea as they will release the spores.

Even if you do nothing to them, it will eventually release spores. It's just a matter of time. The best way is to solve underlying issue than to use predators. Predators will just increase your bioload, further worsening the problem. Solve the water quality issue. You may get rid of bubble algae now with predators, if underlying issue not resolved, other pests may come (eg hair algae, cyano, diatoms/dinos). Eventually, your tank will be hosting all sorts of predators.

• SRC Member
Agree. Is a painful lesson for me. I have to empty my tank and rebuild everything to 99% remove all the visible bubbles algae.

For reef, u got to measure and check all the parameters regularly and partial water change. That's the only solution.

I also do have some hair and bubble algae. I am currently using them as free test kits for my carbon and phosphate remover dosing. I do notice them turning white upon addition of new remover and turning green when I overfeed. Think of them as seachem ammonia alert, instead, they measure phosphate and nitrate.

• SRC Member

I also do have some hair and bubble algae. I am currently using them as free test kits for my carbon and phosphate remover dosing. I do notice them turning white upon addition of new remover and turning green when I overfeed. Think of them as seachem ammonia alert, instead, they measure phosphate and nitrate.

Suggest u start to remove them now before it spread like wild fire. For my case, I saw one in my tank 1 yr ago and it cover almost all my live rock within months. Very scary.

• SRC Member

Suggest u start to remove them now before it spread like wild fire. For my case, I saw one in my tank 1 yr ago and it cover almost all my live rock within months. Very scary.

Not really. Mine just died off yesterday after I added rowaphos the day before. Reappeared today after I overfed yesterday. My tank is small anyway, easy to decontaminate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

erm. i remove the whole rocks to remove it and washed it with nsw. currently using salt mix alrdy. after few months t came back again but just a small very small amount. i remove the rock and handpluck it again. from what i know green bubble algae wont die off themself

• SRC Member
erm. i remove the whole rocks to remove it and washed it with nsw. currently using salt mix alrdy. after few months t came back again but just a small very small amount. i remove the rock and handpluck it again. from what i know green bubble algae wont die off themself

They do when you fixed the nutrient issue. Not that easy as they are rather good in using a variety of nutrient sources

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

valonia algae always exist in my 10years+ reefing the only way to remove is restart everything even LR bleached with chrorox still will come back ... rabbit, naso, chevron, foxface, lopez, vlamingi do consume valonia but not 100% depend on how hard working the fish and after they go crazy with pellet food they become very lazy to pick on valonia anymore ... my tank always at ultra high nutrient level due to heavy feeding but few times slowly adjusted to ultra low nutrient level and valonia still growing crazy or even growing more from my experience ... some time ie: replace rowaphos, wc etc u will found most valonia looks like dying away all bubble pop out left over the outer shield but actually is spreading will have more tiny valonia later ... the best fish is Sailfin tang (Zebrasoma desjardini) will consume non stop until empty but actual they are still present somewhere we or the fish kenot see or reach ... for me , there is no any method to settle so the best way is to prevent just inspect all LR and corals b4 put into the tank ...