Bristle Worms - To keep or not to keep

• SRC Member

after doing an overhaul, i caught almost 40 of these, the pic are the 'bigger ones' ... now when i look at my tank, i just see around 5 or so ... throw these back or :rip: ? thanks

post-17191-0-57431400-1342321714_thumb.j

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Damned wicked looking.

For me, I won't keep these. I won't want any accidental contact with any of them when I dip my hands into the tank!!

I'll make sure they're properly dead before disposing them too. Don't want to harm anyone else too.

• SRC Member

Fish bait?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

The bluish grey ones will pack a punch, I will throw them away.

The smaller pink ones are ok and are great detritus feeders, they will keep your sand bed churned and clean.

HTH

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

how did you catch them? amazing!

is there anyway not to kill, maybe release them somewhere which is safe and yet not harmful to the environment?

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

That place sounds like the sewer

Mandai mud flats - the migratory birds will love to have them for lunch! lol

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

The bluish grey ones will pack a punch, I will throw them away.

The smaller pink ones are ok and are great detritus feeders, they will keep your sand bed churned and clean.

HTH

Thanks. I guess just throw em away ... still have some I see during lights out anyway :heh:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

how did you catch them? amazing!

is there anyway not to kill, maybe release them somewhere which is safe and yet not harmful to the environment?

Did a major overhaul, so I had to remove all LRs ... after leaving the LRs out of the water for an hour or so, they came out, so just tweezed them with my 1-foot tweezer. Now during lights out, I still see over 10 or so (big ones that are obvious), so past 2 nights with the same long tweezer I just grab them and pluck them out. So far caught another 5 big ones .... :superman: the smaller ones I see i just leave them ... hard to catch anyway.

Release ? I don't think so ... For one I don't think they will survive unless you release them in the sea ... which also won't be a wise choice I guess.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Mandai mud flats - the migratory birds will love to have them for lunch! lol

lol ... better watch em get eaten ... otherwise if not, some kid might suddenly pick them up ... OUCH !?!?! :chair:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

How in the world it gets that much? Wicked.

not sure as well ... unless there are certain conditions that they will motivate them to multiply so much, andthere are no predators for them in my tank

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Throw throw. I also agree the big fat ones look gross... those small ones stil in tank left them but haha...they should multiple fast again.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

seriously .... tonight i was moving my gonio (rock base was about 2.5"), after lifting it off the sand bed, bristles started scrambling ... grabbed my long tweezers and got all of them. 4 of them 2-2.5" long, and 2 1", and another 3 baby ones (about 1cm). after my first posting here and, including this new catch, I've removed another ~30 .... is this really normal ? seems my tank is a good breeding ground for bristles ! I usually observe them when I turn of the wave, then they strat to come out, really creepy coz a lot ... but i haven't really seen them do any harm .... but still ... sigh ...

25 Gal Micro Ocean