My plankton culture station

Cookiemunster

• SRC Member
Hi Cookiemunster,

Nice setup.

Can you tell me the type of light that you are using? And where did you get the nice bottles?

Thank you.

Thanks guys,

yes I do have excess bottles of phyto each time I harvest, every 10 days. I only need 5 bottles so I have 2 bottles extra each time.

Dradttg,

those are normal flourescent daylight tubes. Phyto dun need very strong lights. But just make sure you have 16hrs of light each day.

Thanks guys,

yes I do have excess bottles of phyto each time I harvest, every 10 days. I only need 5 bottles so I have 2 bottles extra each time.

Dradttg,

those are normal flourescent daylight tubes. Phyto dun need very strong lights. But just make sure you have 16hrs of light each day.

:eyebrow::eyebrow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

where did you get those bottles from?? very useful bottles... Prevent water splashing out when using airpump... The pipes are purely for oxygenating the water right? WHat plankton you culture? Can just dump a bit of DT's in the ater then let it grow? then I won't have to buy DTs anymore... can?? Can teach me how to do?

Live and Let Live

Ryz, you can't use DT's for culturing. In the past you could, when they had just Nannochlropsis algae. Now they mix up 3 different types inclusive of freshwater Chlorella, making it very hard to culture a pure strain from DT's.

You're better off buying seperate cell cultures.

Suggest you read the pinned up threads if you want info on how to culture your own phyto.

I used to do it in the past... have used Instant Algae before, tried DT's and now trying out liquidlife Bioplankton.

• SRC Member
where did you get those bottles from?? very useful bottles... Prevent water splashing out when using airpump... The pipes are purely for oxygenating the water right? WHat plankton you culture? Can just dump a bit of DT's in the ater then let it grow? then I won't have to buy DTs anymore... can?? Can teach me how to do?

You can get the bottles from IKEA. But I got mine at a cheaper place for only $1.50 each.

Setchi Stick can be purchased from Reborn.

And as AT mentioned. Kindly read up about the pinned threads on culturing.

However, I did succeed with DT. In fact my cultures are from DT. The new type with mixed cultures.

I am culturing nannochloropsis. Its sediments are a golden brown and suspension is deep green.

Yup the bubbling is to have some movement in the water and to provide aeration.