A 3ft tiny piece of ocean in my living room

danccy

Was in this hobby for the last few years. Started with a normal open top tank ( left over from keeping gold fishes) with an external Ehiem filter and airstone skimmer and overhanging T5 lamp.

The results were not too bad for about 2 years than had a sudden cyno-bac bloom and crashed the tank. Than moved house and bought a red sea 130D, thought an all in one system will be ideal but it needs more maintenance than I thought and every 6 months or so there will be an algae bloom. I was later told that for that system, there is a need to change 10% of water every week and wash the sponges frequently as everything is in the tank.

For both tanks, I was using tap water to mix the salt in , later realize that was a bad move as it contributed to all the Cyno-bac and algae bloom plus over feeding and bad maintenance. :(

Recently about 3 months back I invested in a proper tank with a overflow box and chiller. Costs me a bomb but figure this will be the last shot at giving this hobby a try. Hopefully with my previous experience and all the advice I got from this forum the stability of the tank will last for many years to come ^_^

Specs:

- 15mm Glass open top with cabinet ( 3ft x 2ft x 2 ft)

- Sump tank with Bio tower filled with Bacteria King medium

- Schuran Jetskim 150 Skimmer

- Ehiem 1264 Main Pump

- Arctica DBA-200 Chiller and Accessories

- Ehiem 1260 Chiller Pump

post-18443-0-98234500-1351253581_thumb.j

Finally got the lights up and running after 3 weeks. I Bought an AI Sol for the tank after reading quite good reviews of it but worried that the false ceiling may not be able to take the weight :fear: and was contemplating if I should get a tank mount instead but could not find a decent one within my budget or met all my criteria of ht above the tank the length of the light etc. So decided to just take a chance with the hanging kit and surprisingly the false ceiling is very stable and solid. :D

post-18443-0-69729900-1351255221_thumb.j

Very detailed and neat setup. :goodjob:

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Is it recommand to keep AT in 3ft tank? Because they need bigger place to swim.

Very nice tank and neat. Like your scaping. Alot of people give up this hobby due to tank crashing, alway start right is very important in this hobby.

I am looking for a small AT about 2-3 inches (really hard to find) . After about a year I may upgrade to a larger if this tank goes well ^_^

Nice tank bro, i saw one small AT arou 3" at LCK last friday. Cheers,

• Like 1

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Hi

I have been getting a few request for the details of the lighting.

It was bought a few months ago in June from www.saltysupply.com

During that time there was a promotion whereby the light + hanging rail + controller was on sale for USD500. With shipping its about SGD780.

So far the corals seems quite happy and open up nice and big during the day. At night the royal blue really makes the colours on the corels pop.

The controller is really cool as it has a built in timer, moon phases and a lightening function.

Each individual LED colour can be controlled. Mine is only at 60% intensity and its already super bright.

For full specs you can visit www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

Hope this is helpful!

• 3 months later...

Happy Year of the Water Snake to all fellow reefer :heh:

Did a clean up of my tank to prepare for the new year, added some SPS but the colours are not great yet after 1 month.

Any ideas what can be done to improve the colors? :unsure:

post-18443-0-57353700-1360519536_thumb.j

GFO = Granular Ferric Oxide (most popular brand is Rowaphos) -- removes phosphates, use a media reactor like Phosban

In order to avoid brown outs, when keeping SPS it is recommended that you keep your phosphates at 0.03 or below. Unless you have a massive tank, it seems like everyone who keeps nice SPS with fish needs to use GFO to maintain a low level of phosphates. I'm just a beginner but that's what I've learned talking to the more experienced reefers. High phosphates also inhibit growth and cause a greater incidence of STN. If you are feeding a lot, that should also be reduced.

If you decide to get media reactor, try not to overdo it by bringing the phosphate down too quickly. As they say, "Only bad things happen quickly in a reef tank."

Oh I see.. I do run a bag of Rowaphos under my skimmer outlet (not in a reactor). Is it better to be in a reactor? Afraid may not have enough space to have so many reactors as my sump area is not very big. This is a picture of my tank in the daytime. The one above is taken at night under blue lighting.

post-18443-0-52118500-1360592759_thumb.j