Lugol's solution and iodide additives?

Jakuson

Hi all,

Between lugol's solution and iodide additives, what is the difference? Is it essentially the same thing and works the same? I am thinking of trying to dose iodine to see if my corals will grow better and faster. I went through many different brands on the internet and they have lugol's solution as well as iodide additives to supplement the reef tank. For example, kent marine's lugol's solution and kent marine's iodide, which will be better? Which is better for a beginner like me who have never dose additives before despite having kept a reef tank for quite some time already.. :blush:

careful when you dose iodine because iodine is actually toxic if overdosed. you dont really have to dose iodine if you do regular water changes. Your corals should grow well if your lighting is adequate and you feed regularly.

Tank : 2.5 x1.5 x 2

Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC3.5

Lighting : Maxspect 110W

Chiller : Hailea 150 @ 27Deg

Salt : TropicMarin

careful when you dose iodine because iodine is actually toxic if overdosed. you dont really have to dose iodine if you do regular water changes. Your corals should grow well if your lighting is adequate and you feed regularly.

So iodine is actually more toxic than iodide? Does that mean if I use iodide it will be much safer compared to dosing iodine(lugol's solution)?