new to marine fish

Haha. I, myself got problem and need help from brotherhood.. lol. See she say 20 over fishes all ok.. Veron : now only Apr.. 1 more month to go. I also side bet your seahorse. Wahaha

• SRC Member

Hi Veronica > care to share n show some pics of the filter system u have for ur tank? Long period before doing partial water change is possible... provided one has a huge or very "superb" filtration system if not it's going to be detrimantle to all the LS in the tank. I personally do not do much water change for my mixed reef tank (2-3 times or less a yr) but I do have a refugium tank that is almost half the main tank (not the best size, will be better if the refugium can treat twice or more the total volume of the main tank though). ROF (rate if flow) is ard 10x. Even with my system n method of husbandry, I must say the corals won't or aren't really growing as well as I hope for. So do give attention to those advice given by some of the "seniors" in this forum... They meant well n I'm sure they r sharing with u some mistakes that they too had went through n wanna save u from one of those bad experiences.

• SRC Member

Do also take care not to do more than 30-50% water change with LS in tank if ur tank had already been stabilized for more than 1yr or more. It can do more harm that way too. Unless water change of more than 30-50% had been the norm since day one of set-up, then that shd be ok. If not I strongly advise against that ya. Also to take note not to replace all filter media/FR media etc. plus water change at one go. It's a disaster waiting to happen! Trust me, I've done that 2 time (already proven) in my yrs of reef hobby n it's a painful lesson. Dun think this is one lesson that all new reefer shd go through if possible to avoid.

• Like 1

Tangs r prone to ich especially pbt. Water condition is key, take care of the water and the water will take care of the fish.

anyway i already pass to my friend.. will update pic of my new art work.. (done by uncle colin) did some redo on the rock till to too high...

Hi Veronica > care to share n show some pics of the filter system u have for ur tank? Long period before doing partial water change is possible... provided one has a huge or very "superb" filtration system if not it's going to be detrimantle to all the LS in the tank. I personally do not do much water change for my mixed reef tank (2-3 times or less a yr) but I do have a refugium tank that is almost half the main tank (not the best size, will be better if the refugium can treat twice or more the total volume of the main tank though). ROF (rate if flow) is ard 10x. Even with my system n method of husbandry, I must say the corals won't or aren't really growing as well as I hope for. So do give attention to those advice given by some of the "seniors" in this forum... They meant well n I'm sure they r sharing with u some mistakes that they too had went through n wanna save u from one of those bad experiences.

i don have pic... sry.. anyway thanks for the advice

Do also take care not to do more than 30-50% water change with LS in tank if ur tank had already been stabilized for more than 1yr or more. It can do more harm that way too. Unless water change of more than 30-50% had been the norm since day one of set-up, then that shd be ok. If not I strongly advise against that ya. Also to take note not to replace all filter media/FR media etc. plus water change at one go. It's a disaster waiting to happen! Trust me, I've done that 2 time (already proven) in my yrs of reef hobby n it's a painful lesson. Dun think this is one lesson that all new reefer shd go through if possible to avoid.

nah... i never change the media just add some media in only... never really take care of the tank as i am goin to change my tank soon ....

• SRC Member

Veronica > care to share ur design of the new tank? Some helpful reefers here might give good inputs for ur considerations. Since u r upgrading, it really no harm reading up, asking or looking ard for ideas n good practices to factor into ur tank design. Rem if u can afford, do go for a sump/refugium tank system which is as big as possible if u really want to take the route of "minimum water change" in this hobby. Best is volume in sump/refugium is 1:1 or 2:1 or even more as compared to the main tank. There is another system but not much ppl had try it... That is having 2/3 or 1/2 the total main tank volume being channeled into a sump/refugium allow it to be "renewed" for 6-12hrs before being pump back slowl into the main tank. Can only go into details with u in this if u really keen on such a system of filtration as it's too much to write it here.

• SRC Member

Nitro: I guess some ppl will only "listen" and "trust" ppl who had the easy way out. Advices has always been given by reefers here to anyone who is in doubt. Information and etc are over the wired technology. Last decision lies on the owner itself. No offense to anyone. :)

Just my 0.25cts worth.

• SRC Member

ViperR > agreed, end of the day it's the individual decision cuz it's their tank n their choice on how to best spend their monies. So I think no one shd be offended in this tread as advices have been given out of each best knowledge n have also been accepted to the best of the individual abilities. Whether these sharing had been taken n put into actions is the freedom of each one. End of the day, the reefing community shd be a friendly n forgiving one cuz reefing to all of us is meant to be a relax n chill hobby ya.

• SRC Member

ViperR > agreed, end of the day it's the individual decision cuz it's their tank n their choice on how to best spend their monies. So I think no one shd be offended in this tread as advices have been given out of each best knowledge n have also been accepted to the best of the individual abilities. Whether these sharing had been taken n put into actions is the freedom of each one. End of the day, the reefing community shd be a friendly n forgiving one cuz reefing to all of us is meant to be a relax n chill hobby ya.

Livestock are living things and are scarce natural resources. Reefers choosing to bring them home should afford the best possible care and environment for the well being of these precious creatures.

• Like 2

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Veronica > care to share ur design of the new tank? Some helpful reefers here might give good inputs for ur considerations. Since u r upgrading, it really no harm reading up, asking or looking ard for ideas n good practices to factor into ur tank design. Rem if u can afford, do go for a sump/refugium tank system which is as big as possible if u really want to take the route of "minimum water change" in this hobby. Best is volume in sump/refugium is 1:1 or 2:1 or even more as compared to the main tank. There is another system but not much ppl had try it... That is having 2/3 or 1/2 the total main tank volume being channeled into a sump/refugium allow it to be "renewed" for 6-12hrs before being pump back slowl into the main tank. Can only go into details with u in this if u really keen on such a system of filtration as it's too much to write it here.

my tank is a cube tank :D 2ft cube tank.. will update pic soon as i am busy with my tank ><

i have a qusetion to ask u guys...wat type of light should i use??? i am nw usin T5 light 2 whtie 2 blue but the light don look great in my tank ..so i hope to chagne to led light tat come with purple light and sunset and sunrise with those tat can set timing and off the light too ... i am nt keep any sps but wish to have the lighting only.

but maybe will keep some monti lol

• SRC Member

Veronica > if ur budget allows, I advise u to go for the mid range/value for money LED system such as Maxspect Razor 120w. Price is not on the high end n yet it allow reefer with the option of setting dusk till dawn photo period. Setting the timer do need some logic though...haha. If u really need help in ur new tank, PM me or WhatsApp me at 97437071. Eh dun apps me between 9pm to 9am though. That is my rest time.

Kelvin > u do have a point that reefers shd try to replicate as close as possible to nature for the LS in the tank. I'm sure all beginners have that intentions ya

Veronica > do u have any help in setting up ur tank? Rem to allow ur new tank to set-in for at least 3-6 weeks or more. I know during these period it's very tempting to throw in LS but do think abt the amt of money u can saved in accidentally wasting any LS n by doing the above u r also adopting a good animal husbandry skills. Something that u'll learn to enjoy in this hobby if u wanna go a long way.

i cant wait for 3 to 6 weeks so usin i use nsw.. ><

• SRC Member

i cant wait for 3 to 6 weeks so usin i use nsw.. ><

Using nsw DOES NOT significantly decrease cycling time. Please read up on the threads on teaching newbie how to properly setup a marine tank. You owe it to the animals now under your care.

Here the link if you a unable to find it.

• Like 1

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)