TOTQ - SPS biased?

Firestarter

How is it unethical if the masses do not know the criteria of being a TOTQ? Who exactly are the judges of the TOTQ? How is the process made? I guess something strike a nerve with those in this thread that this question surface. Can you guess what this is? Is it unethical to seek an answer by questioning? Can we local members ask question or do we want to wait until some foreigner mock us? Just asking only if you don't mind. :)
Agree. Many of my queries are still unanswer or at least tell us where to find the info if any . Thanks and cheers!

• SRC Member

An ex-reefer once told me that the winners are always reefers within 'their own circle of friends'.

How true is that I really don't know, but I trust the panel to maintain fairness to all.

Just sharing the opinion of others. Maybe there could be more transparency.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

It is obvious that many do not read before you post... There is a brief criteria thread and even a nomination thread for member to nominate fellow reefers. Member also have say in nominating fellow reefer or even their own tank but the nomination threads posted, I can count with 2 hand.. So is it our fault for looking for our own choices and not waiting for nominations when the is 3 months for members to nominate.. :dunno:

The last decision will be done by admin and mods group which comprises of reefers who have liking for different theme tank and have kept different theme tank before and I think it is fair enough. Getting members to vote is going to cause a lot of trouble and inconvenience to us, such as gathering member to vote for own friends and getting friends to join just to vote.

This TOTQ is done just to showcase nice fellow reefers tank and to share knowledge on husbandry skills and help reefers to get more information on keeping the different corals.. Recognizing these reefers is to give them a appreciation of their willingness to share and take the time to do the write up for the benefit of other fellow reefers.. We are bringing back this to give reefers more ways to get information rather than to scan through all the chit chat in tank thread to get some information.

And I dont know why is this taken as a competition and getting all railed up over it..

And please, with only 5 TOTQ and say bias toward SPS tank? Take a look at RC TOTM, I believe after a few SPS tank you will only get to see one or two other theme tanks.. SPS tank is the main corals that most reefers are keeping and the easiest to create a nice tank, Lps also... It is difficult to find a nice and eye pleasing soft corals tank due to the color scheme that soft corals come in and the nice color soft corals are difficult to find in Singapore.. If you come across any nice tank, you are more than welcome to make a nomination.

And come on, we do not owe everyone an explanation on why are they reject or why are the winners selected. This is up to us to decide. Cant we just accept it with a open heart,if you think you have better tank, you are more than welcome to nominate yourself. We live in a unfair world, it is not possible to please everyone in the world.

In the designing and photography world, judging is also very subjective as every judge perceive nice and beautiful in a every different way..

The TOTQ is still in the budding stage, if it is causing so much distressed to members and so much jealousy among reefers, we are open to bring it down again and back to minding our own business and not providing a way for reefers to share their successful tank and knowledge with the community. We share so that we can improve and progress as a community, but here people are doubting if everything is fair and wants everything to be transparent, not everything can be transparent..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Very pap

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Funny la u all... Cmon guys... Lets be cool k. Tis is jus a hobby. Lets enjoy it. As long as e totq or totm is nice n stunning, we jus appriciate e moderator decision k. Unless e winner tank is ugly or not to e standard, then we all can question the mod k. Till then, lets jus chill out bros... Cheers...

Very pap

Would you please "enlighten" me on which part is very pap.

I might be just starting my own career but these few year be it private sector or government sector, SME or MNC, when the management makes a decision without any giving the masses any way to voice their suggestions, who are you to question it, if dun like it, either you leave company or you suck thumb.

We have given the masses ways and informations for TOTQ but no one is bothered about it and when we chose our own selection you grumble.

Yes, you have a right to voice out but make sure you have gotten your facts right before trying to whine and complain.

Member of:

• SRC Member

An ex-reefer once told me that the winners are always reefers within 'their own circle of friends'.

How true is that I really don't know, but I trust the panel to maintain fairness to all.

Just sharing the opinion of others. Maybe there could be more transparency.

maybe can make the nomination thread readable to the forums members and then the mod can create a voting thread .... who shall be the next totq next round...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Ah, I've found the page but something weird.

We welcome every members to share with us some of the worthy TOTQ winner you might came across. If you see a tank that you think is worthy, and the husbandry skills of that members is worth sharing, you can now nominate it for Tank of the Quarter quite easily .

You can start to norminate a member by creating and submitting / posting a new topic under the new dedicated "Winner nomination" section ( http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/forum/146-winner-nomination/ )

Please kindly provide more information on the following during your recommendation Posting ;

1 ) Member nick name of the nominated :

2) Estimated Tank size

3) Types of tank ? SPS tank, mixed reef tank ect ...

4) Years of experience in reefing

5) Do you feel the tank a good example for others to emulate and learn from the reefer, thus qualifying as a future Tank of the Quarter ?

All nominations will only readable by the SRC staff; that particular forum is set to "post-only, so you will only be able to "Start a new Topic" and see your own posting. All other members would not be able to read or see your posts, but not those made by others. The staff will then further discuss among the team for the winner.

There are no cut off date from one entry to the other.
Nobody knows who voted for who. So, if the number of mods outweigh the number of voters, the tank the mods choose would be TOTQ right?

It is obvious that many do not read before you post... There is a brief criteria thread and even a nomination thread for member to nominate fellow reefers. Member also have say in nominating fellow reefer or even their own tank but the nomination threads posted, I can count with 2 hand.. So is it our fault for looking for our own choices and not waiting for nominations when the is 3 months for members to nominate.. :dunno:

The last decision will be done by admin and mods group which comprises of reefers who have liking for different theme tank and have kept different theme tank before and I think it is fair enough. Getting members to vote is going to cause a lot of trouble and inconvenience to us, such as gathering member to vote for own friends and getting friends to join just to vote.

This TOTQ is done just to showcase nice fellow reefers tank and to share knowledge on husbandry skills and help reefers to get more information on keeping the different corals.. Recognizing these reefers is to give them a appreciation of their willingness to share and take the time to do the write up for the benefit of other fellow reefers.. We are bringing back this to give reefers more ways to get information rather than to scan through all the chit chat in tank thread to get some information.

And I dont know why is this taken as a competition and getting all railed up over it..

And please, with only 5 TOTQ and say bias toward SPS tank? Take a look at RC TOTM, I believe after a few SPS tank you will only get to see one or two other theme tanks.. SPS tank is the main corals that most reefers are keeping and the easiest to create a nice tank, Lps also... It is difficult to find a nice and eye pleasing soft corals tank due to the color scheme that soft corals come in and the nice color soft corals are difficult to find in Singapore.. If you come across any nice tank, you are more than welcome to make a nomination.

And come on, we do not owe everyone an explanation on why are they reject or why are the winners selected. This is up to us to decide. Cant we just accept it with a open heart,if you think you have better tank, you are more than welcome to nominate yourself. We live in a unfair world, it is not possible to please everyone in the world.
In the designing and photography world, judging is also very subjective as every judge perceive nice and beautiful in a every different way..

The TOTQ is still in the budding stage, if it is causing so much distressed to members and so much jealousy among reefers, we are open to bring it down again and back to minding our own business and not providing a way for reefers to share their successful tank and knowledge with the community. We share so that we can improve and progress as a community, but here people are doubting if everything is fair and wants everything to be transparent, not everything can be transparent..

Yeah, I did not read. But I read this and wonder.

Why ask us to vote and turn around and tell that IT cause a lot of trouble and inconvenienced you? Accusing us of " gathering vote for own friends and getting friends to join us to vote ". Sorry to ask you of this but where is the proof? Are all reefer crooks? On my end, I would not ask friends I know to vote for TOTQ as that is considered as wrong.

Reefers are passionate about their hobby. But only a few of us ask some question, we were not " getting railed up over it ". Just asking to get answer. If we keep quiet, we don't learn anything. Jealousy? No, not from me, my tank sucks big time. Honestly, been in this hobby for 6 years but have not reach levels where reefer can admire.

I count only 19 reefers participating in this thread. They are-
Firestarter,
Solo77,
Harlequin Mania,
Sherman,
Myself ( BFG ),
Mokyc,
YellowTang,
I love angel,
Spkentchai,
Clownfish forever,
Gouldian,
Baincoral,
Flamey,
Coolguy,
Uncle Jon,
Marcovan,
EvolutionZ,
TerryZ ( yourself ).

Some are just giving feedback and suggestion. I believe none are distressed or jealous, just sharing ideas but hey, if by asking question bothers you, feel free to do as what you feel is right, " bring it down again ". I don't feel comfortable being blanketly accused of something I didn't do. Is there any room to negotiate Terryz? :dunno: :dunno:

:dunno:

All previous TOTQ & TOTM are deserving showcases.

They are not winners in any competitions, but recognized passionate reefers with a tank to show and experience to share.

This is my underlining belief and I have learned and benefited from these reefers.

The organizers put in hard work to achieving this and I take the opportunity to thank them.

Reefers should suggest with concrete ideas for areas of improvement and these are definitely welcome.

To hint at other negative issues are counter productive and the time is better spent by doing tank maintenance or visit CoolGuy's wonderful Zoas kingdom Tank.

My final parting shot: Chill and enjoy Reefing.

Cheers

YT.

• SRC Member

Actually reefing is a personal hobby. Enjoying and appreciating the personal effort put into the hobby.

There could be times when the hobby starts to be fuelled by monetary & other forms of external factors such as recognition of personal effort by others & earning some $.

When such external factors outweigh the personal passion for reefing, it complicates the hobby.

For me, TOTQ which showcases sps dominated tank don't really thrill me. They are pretty and colorful. But I just find tat putting few fishes, tens of colored sticks in a hundred plus gallon of water, is like putting $ in a saving account. But to each his own. It's afterall a hobby. 个花入个眼。whoever gets the award doesn't matter to me.

If u ask me what I hope to see for award winning tanks, it would be a tank that replicate a part of the real reef.

To me, this is like putting yr $ in shares, where there are so many multiple factors involved.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

Would you please "enlighten" me on which part is very pap.

I might be just starting my own career but these few year be it private sector or government sector, SME or MNC, when the management makes a decision without any giving the masses any way to voice their suggestions, who are you to question it, if dun like it, either you leave company or you suck thumb.

We have given the masses ways and informations for TOTQ but no one is bothered about it and when we chose our own selection you grumble.

Yes, you have a right to voice out but make sure you have gotten your facts right before trying to whine and complain.

very pap can means its good wo.

i know solo ish a pappy supporter le

Don't mix up, TOTQ is commercial. It takes effort and $$$, and I can also see sponsors' products are (purposely, I presume) shown at prominent position.

Since its commercial, and this is a commercial forum after all, the owner shall have every right to decide on the format. All we scan suggest is to make the competition format fair and transparent. What do you think?

• SRC Member

Do the winners get prizes from sponsors? I would like to know that because what the mod's reasoning seems rationale, unless if the winners get prizes from sponors (if any). Just to be sure.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

I asked simply just want to know more and understand what is going on. I got friends in Betta club also interested to know and thought I can share with them how good we are. But very disappointed. People accusing each other and saying things like if you don't like we can bring it down .... and what nots. Think is very childish. Anyway, just want to continue my more than 10 years hobby including fresh water fish , planted tank and marine tank. Cheers!!!

Ah, I've found the page but something weird.

There are no cut off date from one entry to the other.

Nobody knows who voted for who. So, if the number of mods outweigh the number of voters, the tank the mods choose would be TOTQ right?

There is no cut of date because the nomination is depending on when you post we will take into consideration.. But since you stated it out, we will make the some amendments and add in a cut off date, we will normally discuss the nominations if any and if not we will find some tank thread and compare them before deciding the winner.

There is no voting done due to many implications.

Yeah, I did not read. But I read this and wonder.

Why ask us to vote and turn around and tell that IT cause a lot of trouble and inconvenienced you? Accusing us of " gathering vote for own friends and getting friends to join us to vote ". Sorry to ask you of this but where is the proof? Are all reefer crooks? On my end, I would not ask friends I know to vote for TOTQ as that is considered as wrong.

We are asking you to nominate and not vote for the winner. I did not say you will, it is listed as examples, but seen that a lot of times already be it Facebook "Like" competitions, TV voting, which of these are not based on the number of friends you can gather.. Some of them might not even know what they are doing, just voting as requested.

Reefers are passionate about their hobby. But only a few of us ask some question, we were not " getting railed up over it ". Just asking to get answer. If we keep quiet, we don't learn anything. Jealousy? No, not from me, my tank sucks big time. Honestly, been in this hobby for 6 years but have not reach levels where reefer can admire.

Yes, we all are.. Because a lot comments seems to be doubting if the TOTQ should be TOTQ and always SPS and not other theme and the tone is implying that they have no voice in the nomination of the TOTQ...

I count only 19 reefers participating in this thread. They are-

Firestarter,

Solo77,

Harlequin Mania,

Sherman,

Myself ( BFG ),

Mokyc,

YellowTang,

I love angel,

Spkentchai,

Clownfish forever,

Gouldian,

Baincoral,

Flamey,

Coolguy,

Uncle Jon,

Marcovan,

EvolutionZ,

TerryZ ( yourself ).

Some are just giving feedback and suggestion. I believe none are distressed or jealous, just sharing ideas but hey, if by asking question bothers you, feel free to do as what you feel is right, " bring it down again ". I don't feel comfortable being blanketly accused of something I didn't do. Is there any room to negotiate Terryz? :dunno: :dunno:

:dunno:

There is only a number giving feedback but the number of views from other members who are seeing this post and not posting? I believe you are around long enough to know there are such black sheep reefers around who harbor those thoughts, just that not to put it bluntly and point out. All are listed as example there is no finger pointing or directed at anyone but as a whole issue.

Of course we will give it some thought about the comments given but some details that we are no obligated to reveal to members such as why is he the winner and others rejected and few months later they become TOTQ because there will be questions and it will endless.

We will take all the suggestion into consideration and implement if possible, just that it is just to fast to pass any judgement at this point. We have only 5 TOTQ and there is not enough evidence to show we are SPS bias. But bottomline if you have a better tank to nominate we are welcome...

Member of:

Don't mix up, TOTQ is commercial. It takes effort and $$$, and I can also see sponsors' products are (purposely, I presume) shown at prominent position.

Since its commercial, and this is a commercial forum after all, the owner shall have every right to decide on the format. All we scan suggest is to make the competition format fair and transparent. What do you think?

I dont have enough authority to answer this to prevent any complications

Commercial or not, will leave it up to you to decided after reading this.

All the equipments are being retail in almost all the sponsors, the leading brands are those few, if we are not using those brands and equipment, can you enlighten me what equipment are we supposed to use? Or we omit all the equipments used in the article even better no trouble of being seen as commercial.. Import equipment from US and China and absorb the shipping yourself? Go thru all the trouble.

Member of:

Do the winners get prizes from sponsors? I would like to know that because what the mod's reasoning seems rationale, unless if the winners get prizes from sponors (if any). Just to be sure.

This one I need to double check with Larry

Member of:

I asked simply just want to know more and understand what is going on. I got friends in Betta club also interested to know and thought I can share with them how good we are. But very disappointed. People accusing each other and saying things like if you don't like we can bring it down .... and what nots. Think is very childish. Anyway, just want to continue my more than 10 years hobby including fresh water fish , planted tank and marine tank. Cheers!!!

Like I say there is no finger pointing or directed at anyone.

We bring back this to benefit us.. we could have just leave it to die in the forum.. Taking the time to go thru the nominations, deciding who we should chose for the TOTQ and larry have to find photographer, the winner have to come up with the write up trying to meet the deadline. There is a lot of coordination to do.

There is a easier way out without getting so much doubt that is to stop TOTQ. No trouble no question no doubts. We will take all suggestion in consideration but it will be a slow one to see the effects of variations as there is only 4 TOTQ per year.

The marine scene have already detoriated to a point where it is no longer like the past we choing shipment in a civilised way, you see all the ugly true colors of reefers during shipment days. You can see ppl throwing bag of coral around if they dun fancy it. It is like a hungry ghost festival. At least last time we will put the corals in the holding tank if we dun fancy it..

Member of:

• Moderators

Like I say there is no finger pointing or directed at anyone.

We bring back this to benefit us.. we could have just leave it to die in the forum.. Taking the time to go thru the nominations, deciding who we should chose for the TOTQ and larry have to find photographer, the winner have to come up with the write up trying to meet the deadline. There is a lot of coordination to do.

There is a easier way out without getting so much doubt that is to stop TOTQ. No trouble no question no doubts. We will take all suggestion in consideration but it will be a slow one to see the effects of variations as there is only 4 TOTQ per year.

The marine scene have already detoriated to a point where it is no longer like the past we choing shipment in a civilised way, you see all the ugly true colors of reefers during shipment days. You can see ppl throwing bag of coral around if they dun fancy it. It is like a hungry ghost festival. At least last time we will put the corals in the holding tank if we dun fancy it..

What we need is constructive suggestions. And we do appreciate those who can come forward with them.

And we don't need comment like childish, etc. This is totally uncalled for and not productive.

It take someone like this to make such comment. :peace:

Tom

LOL....

Ooopss... not sure should laugh or cry...

Lets all repent!!!!!!!!!!

60% of us in this thread, REPENT

more good years ahead!!!!!

on a side note, lets move on, we came here to learn from one another, we might have differences, we might have questions, but we are all here cause we love fishes and corals to begin with

• Moderators

At least that is what I feel!

LOL... i rest my case if u said so. :)

P.S. I don't need to tell people how many years experience i have in the aquarium hobby.

Lets all repent!!!!!!!!!!

60% of us in this thread, REPENT

more good years ahead!!!!!

on a side note, lets move on, we came here to learn from one another, we might have differences, we might have questions, but we are all here cause we love fishes and corals to begin with

Thanks Bro! :thumbsup:

Tom

Things I like:
1) This forum. It's free and informative. Without it, local reefers will be in the dark ages.
2) TOTQ, it's a bonus.
3) The management soliciting for sponsor prizes, I doubt they get anything out of it.
4) This thread and others like it.
5) Bro BFG being Robin Hood, bro thomas_lim and bro Terryz_ tearing everyone else a new one. About once every 6 months.
6) Between that, the occasional upside down photograph of algae infest tubs shot with 1 pixel camera phones.

Things I ambivalent:
1) Huge Polyp Lab Reef-resh or Zeovit tanks. I like how it makes things beautiful easily as long as you have the dough but dislike how it is no longer old school (pre 2005). At least biopellet pisses you off because you need to tweak it.
2) Post 24. I like how it comes to the defense of TOTQ but not at the expense of the person's right to ask.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.