TOTQ - SPS biased?

Firestarter

• SRC Member

Firstly, I don't know if this is the correct forum to discuss this. But I'll post it here anyway.

Has anyone here observed that the TOTQ winners are always SPS / SPS dominant tanks?

Does one have to keep SPS to qualify to be TOTQ?

There are many reefers who have very nice LPS/soft coral tanks that deserve to be qualified for TOTQ.

I hope the judges can break this cycle and feature more LPS/NPS/FOWLR tanks. I really hope that TOTQ is not biased towards SPS tanks.

What do you guys think?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Supporter

Firstly, I don't know if this is the correct forum to discuss this. But I'll post it here anyway.

Has anyone here observed that the TOTQ winners are always SPS / SPS dominant tanks?

Does one have to keep SPS to qualify to be TOTQ?

There are many reefers who have very nice LPS/soft coral tanks that deserve to be qualified for TOTQ.

I hope the judges can break this cycle and feature more LPS/NPS/FOWLR tanks. I really hope that TOTQ is not biased towards SPS tanks.

What do you guys think?

Hi bro,

Thanks for the suggestion, it will not be biased only toward a SPS dominated tank . In fact there had been a few mixed reef winner keeping successful SPS and LPS corals. The reason why most of the time a SPS tank get to win ( Not only in our forum as well as oversea forum if you observed ) is mainly due to the reason that up-keeping a successful SPS tank required more Challenges , knowledge and husbandry care. I think many those who keep SPS can be able to testify on that .

Of course, we will keep a look out for other LPS/NPS setup . But for a FOWLR tank, it is a little bit difficult to judge, maybe some of the members can contribute and share upon what we can judge on a FOWLR setup ?

If anyone had seen a nice tank, don't forget to vote for that member in this section here ; http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/forum/146-winner-nomination/ .

• SRC Member

Hi Larry,

I fully agree that successful SPS tanks require knowledge and husbandry care, and I wholeheartedly congratulate the winners for their beautiful tanks.

Just want to see a change instead of always having SPS dominated tanks featured TOTQ all the time.

Cheers.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

I think most of the time is mix tank.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

I disagree that fowlr is less challenging. there are corals gurus out failing in this. agrees the criteria and rating can be further improved.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

How long should a tank run before it is considered to be TOTQ?

Few months, a year or 2?

Maintained by oneself or others?

Does the forum contact the tank owner or the tank owner contact the forum ?

Do the forum member nominate the tank?

How many tanks were rejected to be TOTQ?

How long should a tank run before it is considered to be TOTQ? Few months, a year or 2? Maintained by oneself or others? Does the forum contact the tank owner or the tank owner contact the forum ? Do the forum member nominate the tank? How many tanks were rejected to be TOTQ?
Are requirements as above pertaining to the participation available ? Any closing period or anytime can submit? How to submit? How is the judging process? Must be nominate by forum members only? So new member who do not have many supporting khakis will not have much chances? Is there a eliminating process if more than one submission? Sorry asking a lot because is good to let everybody know. Thanks and cheers!

Changes.. Changes... The Reefers want Changes.....

East to West.... North to South.... Arab Spring.... Reformasi ... Workers Party ...Hammer firmly pound down the ground...Earth shattered..Cracks of Change. unstoppable..

Reefers want a change of TOTQ..

They want to see and hear a winner talking about challenges of keeping various soft corals, the placement of zoas and how to feed them. They are sick of stn, rtn. They want acans , Prata, blastos, cloves, clams etc... and their successful keeping and farming..

They are tired of 5 footer, 6 footer winner. They want 2 footer beauty, at most 3 footer classic winner. Winner that keeps the animals that they can relate to.

The wind of change is blowing, Larry.

Put up your mast, and ride the current.

Go with the wind... The wind of change...

bigmike.

Let have winners in each sections, FOWLR, sps tank, Lps tank, nano reef, nps tank.

This will increase the awareness from the public and promote interests. Hoping more lfs will emerge and lower the costs of equipment and fishes and coals like hong kong :)

• SRC Member

East to West.... North to South.... Arab Spring.... Reformasi ... Workers Party ...Hammer firmly pound down the ground...Earth shattered..Cracks of Change. unstoppable..

They want to see and hear a winner talking about challenges of keeping various soft corals, the placement of zoas and how to feed them. They are sick of stn, rtn. They want acans , Prata, blastos, cloves, clams etc... and their successful keeping and farming..

They are tired of 5 footer, 6 footer winner. They want 2 footer beauty, at most 3 footer classic winner. Winner that keeps the animals that they can relate to.

bigmike.

I think what the reefer wants is not to bias towards soft or lps tank.....nor they want to see the bias going towards SPS tank.....

What I think the current reefers want is to have clarity in the selection criteria in the TOTQ....example....

- Selection Panelist

- Specific selection criteria, age, colour, maintenance

- I think the most important factor is on the Education part....when I started my journey in reefing...i look up a lot on TOTM (RC) to know how they do certain things.

- The TOTQ winner should always be sharing their knowledge, experience and important frags(^^) with the mass reefer out here.

IMO, with the combination of some the elements above, no reefer would say that it is bias to anyone.....just my 2 cents

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• SRC Member

bigmike.

Kinda agree that there has been too much emphasis on SPS although no doubt SPS dominated tanks require more stingent husbandry.

As said, it is always the huge SPS aquarium that gets the limelight...it may makes reefers who keep LFS and softies shy away from showcasing their aquarium...because lesser people appreciate a softie aquarium.

Having said, whether softie, LPS or SPS, it is the reefer own choice. I guess we should agree that keeping a piece of ocean is more than just winning TOTQ. So dont be discouraged because your aquarium is not being 'recognised' - it is as long as you love it yourself :)

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• SRC Member

As the threadstarter, I would like to clarify that in no way am I discouraged or want my tank to be 'recognised'. The purposed of this discussion is to point out that other types of LPS/NPS/FOWLR tanks have TOTQ material and TOTQ should not emphasis on SPS tanks all the time..

• SRC Member

I fully support the TOTQ and am grateful to Larry and team for bringing the TOTQ (used to be TOTM) back. While it may not be intentional or even coincidental that the past few featured were SPS dominated / mixed reef tanks, I hope non SPS reefers would not be shy to showcase their tanks, share knowledge and husbandry skills so that we all learn as a community, and not have the 'I need to keep SPS to be worthy of TOTQ' mindset.

As the threadstarter, I would like to clarify that in no way am I discouraged or want my tank to be 'recognised'. The purposed of this discussion is to point out that other types of LPS/NPS/FOWLR tanks have TOTQ material and TOTQ should not emphasis on SPS tanks all the time..

Bro, you are not only the threadstarter but also the firestarter!!! :angry2:

No la, I think your points are valid and I am sure Larry will look into it and revert soonest. ;)

Happy reefing.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

very interesting topic. My take, to answer the threadstarter's qn, of course its biased.. Why? Because the (reefing) community perceives SPS dominated tanks to be holy grail of reefing. Rightly so or not, its really up to individual's perception aint it?

Like a few mentioned above, for non sps lovers, pls dont be discouraged by it.. Ultimately, we're all in this hobby bcoz we appreciate the marine world and want a slice of it in our living room.

Just to share, imo, an absolute gem of a tank.. im sure its been shared before..

http://fish-etc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/cp-farm-japanese-reef-tank.jpg

One man's meat is another man's poison..

Yub............I think its sided more towards the SPS side.............I thought I am the only one who noticed it but apparently it isn't...........I am not on this forum long enough but it seems there is TOTM last time.........is it a lack of sponsors such that TOTM becomes TOTQ? It would be nice to have winners in a few categories every qtr but I guess we need sponsors for prizes...........

Selection process need to be transparent. Panel of judges profile could be made known and the criteria assessed. Is it possible for reefers who have been on this forum for at least 6 months to vote (or minimum no of posts) on the winner and this weightage is say 50% and the panel of judges get 50% as well?

Fowler tanks can be judged on scaping, lighting, combinations of fishes, diets of fishes and parameters of water (high nitrates!)......

My 2 cents worth.............but I guess it is very hard to please everyone in competitions like this............

Kudos to the management though.............

• SRC Supporter

bigmike.

Yes Uncle mike, the voices here had been heard. This is also our first time running this TOTQ , and there is definitely alot of rooms for improvement, but i am also glad that we are getting alot of good respond and feedback on it. The main idea of the TOTQ is to inspire reefers to be as well as giving recognition to the effort that the reefers had put into the hobby .

The reason why we did it quarterly is because there is alot of works to be done trying to look out for a good tank, getting sponsor for the prizes and appointing some one to visit the winner tank to take good photos ect ect.. So you guys can imagine the work involved . Hopefully one day when our time allow, and we have enough good tank locally to be able to featured each month to show to the world .

We have only 5 winner for TOTQ so far, but definitely looking into other great setup .

Keep your suggestion coming... :cheers:

To open a can of worms, why no nano tank featured? Can we have one?

Not many people understand the challenges of a nano tank but those who do can find an abundant resources of nano tanks qualified for TOTQ. Somemore some of these can easily pawn any of the featured tanks hands down.

It's always a money game ain't it? So its somewbat inclined to be biased.. aint it so?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

MarcoVan, you are right.

Seems that TOTQ are always showcasing the bigger players 4-6ft tanks.

It would be nice to feature nanos as well. Good suggestion.

To open a can of worms, why no nano tank featured? Can we have one?

Not many people understand the challenges of a nano tank but those who do can find an abundant resources of nano tanks qualified for TOTQ. Somemore some of these can easily pawn any of the featured tanks hands down.

It's always a money game ain't it? So its somewbat inclined to be biased.. aint it so?

" To open a can of worms", that's too strong and unnecessary opening statement .

It's right to request change but wrong to hint that the previous selection is unethical .

Respect the past winners for they are truly deserved to be crowned,

Looking forward to a wider range of Reefing TOTQ winners.

YT

• SRC Member

" To open a can of worms", that's too strong and unnecessary opening statement .

It's right to request change but wrong to hint that the previous selection is unethical .

Respect the past winners for they are truly deserved to be crowned,

Looking forward to a wider range of Reefing TOTQ winners.

YT

How is it unethical if the masses do not know the criteria of being a TOTQ? Who exactly are the judges of the TOTQ? How is the process made?

I guess something strike a nerve with those in this thread that this question surface. Can you guess what this is? Is it unethical to seek an answer by questioning? Can we local members ask question or do we want to wait until some foreigner mock us? Just asking only if you don't mind. :)