What chiller size?

Evolutionz

• SRC Member

Hey guys,

im planning a 90x60x36cm (LxBxH) tank which is a 170L and a 30L sump (3/4 filled) so total is around 180-190L..

which chiller size should i go for? 1/10 hp seems to fit in well. But lets say for example, if i were to get a Resun CL-650, which is rated for much higher volume.. when it runs at 650W, it should take much lesser time to cool down my tank, in comparison to a CL-280 (280W), it will take a longer time to chill the tank. End of the day, i would like to know which chiller will save me more electricity bill and last longer?

Or getting a oversized chiller simply is a waste of electricity?

Thanks!!

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Check if the following site will help you..

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.sg/2013/04/what-size-aquarium-chiller.html

1/10 hp would appear under powered; a 1/4 hp would be too big..

Manufacturers often suggest one to size a chiller to run a total of 8 hours per day.. too big a size will cool faster but will consume more energy because it seldom run at full load when the motor is most efficient... slightly underpowered chiller will be more efficient and save electricity but it may not give enough power for cooling during hot weather. Normal advice is to up a size larger to allow additional equipment and take care of degrading performances..

There are freon and Peltier chiller. The latter is an electronic chiller which is less efficient in term of energy consumption.. the following website compare them

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8360208476930679953#editor/target=post;postID=1066339280847409995

happy reading..

just to share, my 100G is using 1/4hp, takes, 1 hr when activated, rest for 2 hrs. bills is $210-$220. (temp at 27)

then I change to 1 hp, activate for 40mins, rest for 5hrs. bills at $160. (temp at 26)

thereafter, I believe in using an oversized chiller.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

just to share, my 100G is using 1/4hp, takes, 1 hr when activated, rest for 2 hrs. bills is $210-$220. (temp at 27)

then I change to 1 hp, activate for 40mins, rest for 5hrs. bills at $160. (temp at 26)

The amount doesn't suggest from the chiller itself? IMO.Base on above activate time, It suggested 1hp still higher tariff but not much significant. May be some other factor overlook? Cheers and Happy Reefing.

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

I believe the different brand chiller differs too right? Say a resun/haliea vs teco/article, the latter will sure cool more efficiently thus reducing electricity bill

you are correct, they are different brand.

my 1/4 is a teco. the 1hp is a hailea.

note they are of significant size difference.

Yes, i think they (US/EURO brands) are more effective when comparing their chiller of the same size.

but, in this case, as much as choosing the right size of chiller for the same tank. i had proven for my case, using a oversized chiller in account to the specifications of the chillers is a good move.

The spirit of sharing...

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

you are correct, they are different brand.

my 1/4 is a teco. the 1hp is a hailea.

note they are of significant size difference.

Yes, i think they (US/EURO brands) are more effective when comparing their chiller of the same size.

but, in this case, as much as choosing the right size of chiller for the same tank. i had proven for my case, using a oversized chiller in account to the specifications of the chillers is a good move.

You already define the activate time, meaning you have define the working efficiency factor. base on your input.

teco 1/4hp is 8hrs per day (working hours)

hailea 1hp is ~3hrs per day (working hours)

For Chiller Horse Power, the convention shld be the same. 1HP is 4 time powerful than 1/4HP, in other words ~4 time more power consumption with the same working time. For your case the working hour only improve slightly more than double per days. The ratio doesn't match for the saving of SGD50-60? may be some other factor?

Cheers & happy reefing.

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

I noticed different power rating too. For example, resun cl-650(1/4hp) runs at 650W.while teco tr15 (1/5hp) only runs at 350W.resun is only slightly bigger based on hp. So I'm guessing teco will be more energy saving?

I noticed different power rating too. For example, resun cl-650(1/4hp) runs at 650W.while teco tr15 (1/5hp) only runs at 350W.resun is only slightly bigger based on hp. So I'm guessing teco will be more energy saving?

Electrical input wattage and refrigeration capacity wattage are two different thing. Resun is showing refrigeration capacity wattage and Teco using Electrical input wattage. Some brand using BTU/hr. Cheers

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

i see. i didn't notice the difference type of wattage consumption from the labels on the chillers.

anyway, no changes i did to the tank during the change of chiller. whatever the case is which might be saving the bills as well... i'm satisfied with the results. :D

The spirit of sharing...

• SRC Member

i just did a test run with my Teco TR15 (1/5hp), a big tub of water (im guessing 20L) to cool from 30C to 25C it took only 7 mins. air coming out is not hot at all, just slightly warm..

i wonder if i were to placed it in my cabinet but with doors open for ventilation, issit ok?

• 2 weeks later...

Pluzzled by your description. The rest period should be about the same unless the tank was not operating under the same conditions or one of the temperature settings is not correct; also the electricity bills cannot be too far off if your tank is the same unless your newer chiller is much much more energy efficient. Think you are taking off the SingPower electricity bill.. that can be affected by weather, pattern of electricity usage etc.

u mean both chillers should rest the same hours which is 2hrs base on using the 1/4teco.

i m no aircon man but the only reason i can think of is that the coils or reserviour is maintained at the chilled temp more effectively for a longer period using a bigger sized chiller.

u can come to have a tea and sit for few hours to help solve the puzzle.

and do anyone notice got condensation form up at the glass of the tank? weather has been rather hotter than usual. my neighbour face this too, anyone else? (temp set at 26) night time rest hours still maintain, daytime shorten >_<

The spirit of sharing...

Just like airconditioner cooling your room. The heat load is the same irrespective of whether the airconditioner is a larger or smaller. The bigger the capacity, the quicker will be the time to cool. Once the set temperature is reached, the airconditioner will be switched off. The cooled air will then dissipate through the walls and pick up the human loads, therfore, the time to dissipate the cooling load does not depend on the size of the airconditioner. Note that you have set the new chiller to cut in @ 26C, 1 C below the old chiller.. If the new chiller cut out at same temperature at the old one, say 29C, the extra 1 C may lengthen the turn off time. Have a feeling that your old chiller is not working as efficient and the new one.

u mean both chillers should rest the same hours which is 2hrs base on using the 1/4teco.

i m no aircon man but the only reason i can think of is that the coils or reserviour is maintained at the chilled temp more effectively for a longer period using a bigger sized chiller.

u can come to have a tea and sit for few hours to help solve the puzzle.

and do anyone notice got condensation form up at the glass of the tank? weather has been rather hotter than usual. my neighbour face this too, anyone else? (temp set at 26) night time rest hours still maintain, daytime shorten >_<

The thumb rule for airconditioning outdoor unit is to have about 600 mm clearances from the walls with no air obstruction at the air outlet grilles. As the 1/5 hp aquarium chiller unit is about 1/20 the capacity of an ordinary aircond unit, an all round clearance of 300 mm from the walls or sides of cabinet should be sufficient provided the outlet grille is facing out and is as close as to the edge of the open door to ensure no air short circuiting..

i just did a test run with my Teco TR15 (1/5hp), a big tub of water (im guessing 20L) to cool from 30C to 25C it took only 7 mins. air coming out is not hot at all, just slightly warm..

i wonder if i were to placed it in my cabinet but with doors open for ventilation, issit ok?

These chillers sometimes have very different meaning for watts. On one chiller, it refers to cooling output watts and on the other chiller, it could mean electricity input watts; for example, resun's 650 watts refers to cooling output watts whereas Teco's 350 watts refers to electricity input watts. I have measured performance of resun 1/4 hp, it consumed about 495 watts of electricity so that COP(coefficient of performance) is about 650/495=1.33. On the other hand, 1/5 hp teco will have an cooling output of 2,800 watts/hp or 560 watts. With electricity input of 350 watts, the COP is about 560/350=1.6.. one can therefore say the teco chiller is slightly more efficient and hence, commands a higher price.

wow, cool man!

ur explaination of the new chiller running 1degree lower than the old one strikes me.

(let me try running it at 27 over the weekend and see how it goes.)

The spirit of sharing...

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

i agree with angmoh. Go with artica if cost not an issue. If cost is an issue, go for haliea 1/2hp. Teco performance is good but abit noisy IMO.. reliability wise should be artica first, then teco and haliea.