EvolutionZ's Shallow reef build.

Evolutionz

Update:

Got 2 of this lovely tuxedo urchins! superb at eating brown algae (which is currently blooming in my tank) however its been attaching to some of my zoas frag and carrying them around..

2013-05-07201445_zps2a0ab262.jpg

Nice tank layout and scaping. Didn't know that urchins like brown algae.

Like ur yellow carpet lobo. Nice pc u hv got.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Update: new corals addition.. corals and fishes are doing very well.. been doing Microbe-lift Nite-out II daily and also Red Sea Reef Energy A & B (2.5ml daily). probably will give grotech line a try after my red sea finishes. Some corals pics : pink tip elegance. 2013-05-07201251_zps3a437524.jpg zoas 2013-05-07201246_zps5436fa50.jpg green Brain coral.. this particular piece had become everyone's favorite coral with its bright luminous color! getting a red one soon! 2013-05-07201237_zps20a16146.jpg New addition added just one hour after placing in tank.. Yellow Lobo.. adds a spark of yellow to my tank! DSC03099-1_zpsa57472e0.jpg GSP glued to overflow box.. hopefully will spread fast and cover the whole box! 2013-05-07201422_zps67040676.jpg Got this birdnest from a kind reefer when i bought his elegance, he fragged most part away so trying my luck with the remaining ones. doing pretty well with nice PE.. hopefully its color will retain.. DSC03122_zpsbab2e54c.jpg top view 2013-05-07201534_zpsa111206d.jpg Livestock! Banggai Cardinal.. 2013-05-07201456_zpsc9d41f28.jpg my mandarin from my old 34L.. much more pods for him! 2013-05-07201517_zpsb83d7447.jpg Got 2 of this lovely tuxedo urchins! superb at eating brown algae (which is currently blooming in my tank) however its been attaching to some of my zoas frag and carrying them around.. 2013-05-07201445_zps2a0ab262.jpg My sump tank.. Deltec MCE 600 (great skimmer) on the left, eheim 1260, Rio pump (chiller and 2 TLF 150 reactor feeder pump). Currently only running rowaphos.. will be running biopellets once more livestocks go in.. chaeto in a breeder's net but im thinking of DIY-ing a partition using eggcrates. 2013-05-07201711_zps26be5a06.jpg FTS. added a SunSun 3000l/hr wavemaker blowing at the back.. thinking of changing to 5000l/hr model instead.. still waiting for my universal laptop adapter to come so i can run W1 or ELSE mode on my wp40 at lower flow.. DSC03082_zpsc4cdf04d.jpg angle view DSC03089_zps849a5d10.jpg Light is currently 10" above water level.. running 9 hours but mainly the blues and some white. rest of the whites only comes on for 2 hours a day now.. worried my corals may bleach. 2013-05-07201409_zps841a4417.jpg simply switch on feed mode on my wp40 and enjoy the top view.. DSC03096_zps2c6f0abe.jpg Thanks for viewing!
I love the rock works and there are many spots for coral placements. Excellent! Am I seeing some diatoms towards the back of the tank in the last photo?

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

beautiful!

Thank you!

tank looking good :groupwavereversed:

can i check the width of yr outside compartment of overflow box? tks

I'll measure and get back to you later on.. But its one of the thinnest overflow box i've seen.. but the intake box is larger then normal overflow box too.

Nice tank layout and scaping. Didn't know that urchins like brown algae.

Thanks! i bought them because they look so cute! they literally made my brownish live rocks purple again.

Like ur yellow carpet lobo. Nice pc u hv got.

Thanks bro, i love it too!

Nice. Like the new tank.

Thanks!

Cool man. Gonna be a nice reef. Can't wait for my turn to get one. In the planning stage now.

Thanks.. do remember to post.. going shallow too?

I love the rock works and there are many spots for coral placements. Excellent! Am I seeing some diatoms towards the back of the tank in the last photo?

actually im starting to find i may have too much rocks.. yes. currently diatom bloom which is normal for new set up.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Freshwater cabinet are not meant to withstand the weight of saltwater tank. From the front view, the cabinet thickness is way too thin. Take a look ard reefers tanks and see how thick their support beam is. Also not sure if your cabinet wood can tahan saltwater bo. Since everything is not set up, why not do a proper tank cabinet. When u fully stock up your tank, it will not be fun anymore when your whole tank come crashing down.

heard any horror stories of the entire tank come crashing down before?

Nice tank bro! Good job! However, if possible slow down a little, don get over excited and stock up too quickly. U mentioned that the skimmer doesn't skim out much, this could be a sign of skimmer not kick in and may not be skimming effectively. No matter how clean ur tank is, if the skimmer is working fine, it will pull out tons of 'shit' from the water. I suggest not to turn of the skimmer and continue let it run to observe. Cheers

• SRC Member

nice tank bro ! i see a pasar malam section on the left back side :lol:

Thanks! hahaha DIY frag rack!

Like your brain coral,swee :thumbsup:

Thanks bro i love it too!

Nice tank bro! Good job! However, if possible slow down a little, don get over excited and stock up too quickly. U mentioned that the skimmer doesn't skim out much, this could be a sign of skimmer not kick in and may not be skimming effectively. No matter how clean ur tank is, if the skimmer is working fine, it will pull out tons of 'shit' from the water. I suggest not to turn of the skimmer and continue let it run to observe. Cheers

Thanks! yeah man im trying hard to slow down haha.. forgot to update about the skimmer, for the past 3 - 4 days i've turned it on again and still playing around with the tuning. after 3 - 4 days of dry skimming, managed to get a very dark green skimmate (smells really weird though..). I must say the deltec MCE 600 skimmer is really good!

• SRC Member
updates on water parameters :
SG 1.025 ( Refractometer)
Taken with API :
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
pH : 8.2
taken with Salifert :
nitrate : 1ppm ( low range reading method)
Phosphate : 0
Calcium : 400
mg : 1400
Alk : 7.8
few days ago nitrate was around 2.5.. after adding Chaeto and running reserve lighting cycle.. seems like it helped to reduce my nitrate..
Ca and Alk seems a little low.. got to start dosing 2 parts.

• SRC Member

Your Ca & KH is ok. KH maintain this value should be good enough for ULNS. Ca is ok but u can raise it higher if u dun feel confortable.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

• SRC Member

tank looking good :groupwavereversed:

can i check the width of yr outside compartment of overflow box? tks

Hey bro, sorry for replying late.. forgotten about this.. the width is 8cm.. pretty thin for a overflow box!

• SRC Member

Your Ca & KH is ok. KH maintain this value should be good enough for ULNS. Ca is ok but u can raise it higher if u dun feel confortable.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Thanks for your reply! my ca and kkh is at 400 and 8.6 now.

• SRC Member

Some updates!

a green gonipora i got over the weekend. opening beautifully!

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03132_zps2e9de28a.jpg.html'>DSC03132_zps2e9de28a.jpg

Close up

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03168_zps6e28dd58.jpg.html'>DSC03168_zps6e28dd58.jpg

pink tip elegance.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03156_zps6209c90e.jpg.html'>DSC03156_zps6209c90e.jpg

green brain, notice the feeding tentacles.. was feeding the tank with brine shrimp and rotifers..

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03151_zpse8941f1b.jpg.html'>DSC03151_zpse8941f1b.jpg

GSP mat! noticed i have 3 GSP type here..

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03172_zps141ea687.jpg.html'>DSC03172_zps141ea687.jpg

yellow lobo

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03169-1_zpsffd4de96.jpg.html'>DSC03169-1_zpsffd4de96.jpg

emerald green zoa

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03181-1_zps7d94ad29.jpg.html'>DSC03181-1_zps7d94ad29.jpg

anyone fancy a heart shape zoa?

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03183_zpscb7e8f3a.jpg.html'>DSC03183_zpscb7e8f3a.jpg

SPS i got from another bro, PE is good and coloring up well.. can see some new growth.. notice the monti on the left growing too..

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03173_zps538d7526.jpg.html'>DSC03173_zps538d7526.jpg

another 2 mini acro frag.. got it yesterday. slight PE as of now.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03186_zpse7311d5d.jpg.html'>DSC03186_zpse7311d5d.jpg

a pair of True perc i got from CF.. really like the pattern. really greedy whacking both normal or algae pellets like as if they have not been eating for a long time.. However they have been hanging out on the top left corner for the past few days since i got them. Hope they'll move near the rocks soon.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03158_zps2fbb758c.jpg.html'>DSC03158_zps2fbb758c.jpg

Banggai cardinal..

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03188_zpsce1bac11.jpg.html'>DSC03188_zpsce1bac11.jpg

FTS.. pardon the container on the top right.. was feeding my sun coral.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03198_zps34907b62.jpg.html'>DSC03198_zps34907b62.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

How's the xenia doing? Hope the acro will color up with better pe as well. :yahoo:

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Woh..... Very Nice Shallow Tank you have :thumbsup:

Thanks!

wah! very nice! :thumbsup: feel inspired to rescape my own shallow tank :big_boss:

please do post if u happen to rescape!

How's the xenia doing? Hope the acro will color up with better pe as well. :yahoo:

Xenia opening great. infact if im not wrong, i think i seen some growth! i hope they acro wont die in my hands!

Good job bro!

Is there cyno or diatom on the sand? Watch out No3 and Po4 ya.

Control ur feeding, or the diatom will grow crazy.

IMO feed as little as possible, let ur get to stable further :thumbsup: Nice tank :cheers:

Thanks! thats mainly green hair algae, i found out my hector's goby love them so i decided to leave it. my no3 is 0.5 and po4 is 0..

diatoms are slowly going away already..

im trying to feed very little too.

thanks for your great advice bro :D