New Polyplab Bio Sphere vs Nitra Guard Bio Cube

NemoFinder

Sharing my experience here with fellow reefers on my experience and comparison between the both products. Recently finish my first 250 ml of Nitra Guard Bio cube and bought a new bottle of Polyp Lab Bio sphere to tried it out since the price is much cheaper .

After opening the bottle of the New Polyp Lab Bio sphere, i was surprise to find that the shape of the cube is different from Nitra guard which i used previously. The color of both product look rather similar though which is clear white.

post-6776-0-82559100-1368018349.jpg

Opening up the bottle

post-6776-0-70982500-1368018275.jpg

Above is the photo of the Polyp Lab Bio sphere.

post-6776-0-12864800-1368018317.jpg

Comparison between the both in term of the shape.

My past experience with my first bottle of Nitra guard Bio cube last me about one month after using the " Bomb" method which bring down my nitrate level from 30ppm to 10ppm. However, i notice that it take about one week before i start to see reduction of N03 on my test kit.

i was also told that the Polyp Lab Bio sphere will last longer due to it;s shape and size and cant wait and see.

How do u use the bio sphere ??

System 45 - 1.5 ft cube with sump

Vortech MP 10

Maxspect Nano Razor 60W

BM Nac 3.5 Skimmer

BM MF70 reactor - Rowaphos

Phosban reactor 150 - NP Biopellet

Hailea chiller HS 28A

Newbie_David

Do update and give more review about this product. Heard it last longer then bio pellet and better then bio pellet. Anyone who using this please feedback. Intend to try out this product if it good.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Do update and give more review about this product. Heard it last longer then bio pellet and better then bio pellet. Anyone who using this please feedback. Intend to try out this product if it good.

I am now trying out another method of placing just the Bio sphere in a bag in sump without using air stone to see if it last longer.

From what i read, Bio pallet is more of a carbon source dosing whereas no one really know yet how this new product works but i think this is suppose to be another products which ultize carbon dosing as well to reduce nitrate.

i prefer Bio sphere than bio pallets since it is easier to work with without any use of any reactor and it doesn't get crumble up together unlike bio pallet . Just throw in , wait and see..

• SRC Member

Great bro. Looking forward to ur result. I am using it also. But put them in my skimmer where got flow and oxygen. <br />This product is both carbon source and bacteria house from my understanding.

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

Below photo is the left over of the Bio cube using the " Bomb" method taken with my HP two week ago . The cube is almost dissolved. So i could say that 250 ml Bio cube will last 4 week with a low stock level of 4 fish and normal feeding.

post-22764-0-22699800-1368523044_thumb.j

The new Bio Sphere is placed in the sump now just letting water passing through it, the amount used is about the same but since it is bigger in size the bag is bigger. Will monitor and see if result is the same for N03 as well as consumption of the cube.

post-22764-0-65767900-1368523345_thumb.j

Just an observation to the users,

do you notice any increase in skimmate in your skimmer throughout the process of this bio cubes?

In my understanding, if the cubes do indeed breed good bacteria or utilise yeast to discard nitrate, their by products should go somewhere right?

And now its mentioned and understood that the cubes dissolve after some time, where did all these yeasts and nitrate go?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• 1 month later...

Some update and observation i had with the Bio Sphere. After experiencing with Biosphere for quite some time, i find Bio sphere to be very effective in bringing down high nitrate level when using the " Bomb Methid" or placing it inside the skimmer with lots of air bubbling . However it also mean a faster dissolve rates of the media.

So if you are facing a high nitrate level in your tank, you can use the "Bomb" method with air stone to bring the high nitrate down or if you only wish to maintain or slowly bring down the nitrate level in your tank and prolong the dissolve rate of the cube, you can leave it in an area of high flow .

For a sensitive SPS setup, you might need to be careful as bringing the nitrate level down too fast might stress the corals.

I also observe thicker and darker skimate being produce by my skimmer when i started to introduce the Bio Sphere Cube into the system, but not too much change in the amount of skimate produce.

In weighting between the Bio pallet and Bio Cube/ Sphere , i feel Bio pallets can last longer . However, the downside of using bio pallets include cloudy tank, and the need of running in a reactor ect make running cost higher. Whereas the Bio Cube /Sphere is a much more simple and easy to use solution.

In weighting between the Bio pallet and Bio Cube/ Sphere , i feel Bio pallets can last longer . However, the downside of using bio pallets include cloudy tank, and the need of running in a reactor ect make running cost higher. Whereas the Bio Cube /Sphere is a much more simple and easy to use solution.

In the long run, will bio-pallet more cost saving even those reactor is needed?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

If nitrates are very high, your phosphate levels can be the limiting factor. Nitrates will not drop if you have insufficient phosphates. If goal is to remove nitrates, I would suggest removing any phosphate removal media. Once nitrates are 0 or neglibible, then work on reducing phosphate levels by adding back phosphate removal media.

I've been running solid carbon for months and nitrates has always been above 50ppm, while phosphates is a remarkable 0.00ppm via Hanna checker although I am not running any GFO or dosing LaCl. In this scenario I seem to need to add phosphates in order to push the nitrates to drop further.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 3 weeks later...