Successfully kept cleaner wrasse  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Successfully kept cleaner wrasse

• Kept for at least 3 months
    • Kept for at least 6 months
    • died shortly after in tank
    • Died afew months after in tank.

• SRC Member

They are very active fishes so requires frequent feedings to maintain - 2 or more times a day. Success rate is not high. For every success, there are many failures.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Thanks guys for all your feed backs, just bought one pair ytd from CF. Feeding well on frozen food. cleaning my tangs too. really cute to have! hopefully can survive.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Thanks guys for all your feed backs, just bought one pair ytd from CF. Feeding well on frozen food. cleaning my tangs too. really cute to have! hopefully can survive.

Cleaner wrasse are hard to pair,if you really get a pair - congratulations! If not, you will soon be left with one.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Well not really a pair yet. I admit I only researched that they are hard to keep but didn't encounter anyone mentioning they should be kept single until I bought 2 back. Right now the bigger fella is chasing the smaller fella once in a while but no serious fight. I hope I won't have to separate them.

Well not really a pair yet. I admit I only researched that they are hard to keep but didn't encounter anyone mentioning they should be kept single until I bought 2 back. Right now the bigger fella is chasing the smaller fella once in a while but no serious fight. I hope I won't have to separate them.

They are super aggressive once introduced into our tank. I believe CW's territory is much larger than any typical tanks thus unless it is a proven pair, its hard to pair them in our tanks.

Several attempts has been made to pair them but to no long term results, initially some feels that they are sexually dimorphic, i.e. male with golden head. I have tried and have failed. Without more proven results, I refrain from encouraging reefers to try to form pairs with CW.

Let's not forget, CW was considered a "no no" fish to keep several years back and it was only the recent 5-8 years that we are having good results.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Hey guys, wanna know how many of you actually successfully kept a cleaner wrasse for at least 3 - 6 months?

Please vote..

thanks.

How come don't have more than 2 years??? lol

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

"For every success, there are many failures."

Fully agree with this ... me have keep more than 3yrs b4 but not every time success and mostly not more than 2 weeks .

Anybody success with Hawaii cleaner wrasse ?

• SRC Member

They are super aggressive once introduced into our tank. I believe CW's territory is much larger than any typical tanks thus unless it is a proven pair, its hard to pair them in our tanks.

Several attempts has been made to pair them but to no long term results, initially some feels that they are sexually dimorphic, i.e. male with golden head. I have tried and have failed. Without more proven results, I refrain from encouraging reefers to try to form pairs with CW.

Let's not forget, CW was considered a "no no" fish to keep several years back and it was only the recent 5-8 years that we are having good results.

sorry for the late reply, so far my "pair" of CW appears to have drawn their own territories. the larger fella gets the front portion and the smaller fella gets the back. The larger fella will only chase the smaller fella if only he comes to the front. But no serious fight. Both eats greedily like pigs.

How come don't have more than 2 years??? lol

i think after 6 months should be no problem liao :D

sorry for the late reply, so far my "pair" of CW appears to have drawn their own territories. the larger fella gets the front portion and the smaller fella gets the back. The larger fella will only chase the smaller fella if only he comes to the front. But no serious fight. Both eats greedily like pigs.

i think after 6 months should be no problem liao :D

:thumbsup:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

hawaiian cleaner wrasse is almost impossible to keep alive. no one, in general, has success that i know of.

to be frank, all other species of Labroides are very difficult. the only one with limited success is L. dimidiatus, the normal cleaner wrasse. as such, if you really desperately need to try a cleaner wrasse species, just go for the normal cleaner.

i think hawaiian cleaner, if i'm not wrong, was banned at some point even, and recently only they re-appear again.

• Senior Reefer

imo the most beautiful "cleaner" 1 could ever own

too bad it doesnt do well in captive

yes indeed.

the purple is really spectacular! but i don't know of anyone with long term success with this fish. not even overseas.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

my cleaner wrasse who was healthy and eating greedily for 2 months suddenly passed away this morning. He was still fine during ytd's feeding. No injury seen on body.. seems like a sudden death to me. sigh..