high nitrate , help!

i've done 30% WC, and my nitrate is still very high. what do i do now? the reading is about 80mg/l . how do i reduce the nitrate levels? do i have to remove the fishes in my tank ?

• SRC Supporter

Maybe u can give more Info about your tank.

How many fishes u have? What tank size you kept? What water did you use for your water change?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe u can give more Info about your tank.

How many fishes u have? What tank size you kept? What water did you use for your water change?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Added 4 fishes in today,tank size is 3x1.25x1.25 . used distilled water mixed with red sea salt for WC.

Maybe your nitrate start with 100ppm. Changing 30% with salt and di water will lower it to 70ppm. If u change with tapwater, it will always be about 70ppm. U can do small water change to lower down the nitrate. There are a lot of method u can employ Algae scrubber Biopellet Upgrade skimmer Plants But I guess water change is the only one suitable for u

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Maybe your nitrate start with 100ppm. Changing 30% with salt and di water will lower it to 70ppm. If u change with tapwater, it will always be about 70ppm. U can do small water change to lower down the nitrate. There are a lot of method u can employ Algae scrubber Biopellet Upgrade skimmer Plants But I guess water change is the only one suitable for u

Do i do a WC with di water with salt or what? If i keep doing di water with salt then it's gonna used up alot of my salt..

Bro dream, how many fish you have in your current tank. What skimmer are you using? How much do you feed your fish?

Method to bring down no3:

Bio pellet & bacteria dosing

Bacteria & vodka dosing

Fastest way water change 50% if worry salt use up too fast can purchase sea water from LCK, iwarna, ah beng. $2 for 20L.

Bro dream, how many fish you have in your current tank. What skimmer are you using? How much do you feed your fish?

Method to bring down no3:

Bio pellet & bacteria dosing

Bacteria & vodka dosing

Fastest way water change 50% if worry salt use up too fast can purchase sea water from LCK, iwarna, ah beng. $2 for 20L.

Which is the fastest way to lower them without doing WC? What type of bacteria must i dose?

Bacteria dosing need strong skimmer. I change water with salt and di water. That's how the hobby is? If not? All method take time. Except water change . Instant change in parameter

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Bacteria dosing need strong skimmer. I change water with salt and di water. That's how the hobby is? If not? All method take time. Except water change . Instant change in parameter

Means if i do a 50% wc im gonna use up alot of salt right? Wow that's gonna cost quite alot for 50% of the water for WC.

• SRC Member

After ur cycling is complete, u need to do a major water change to export the high amount of nitrate accumulated...

No doubt salt and di water is costly but if u compare the cost i think its still cheaper. Not to mention effective. Water change is very essential in our hobby.

Base on ur tank size, ur gross water vol should only be about 125litres. 50% water change is approx 60+litres. for DD salt, recommended is 1kg of salt per 25litres of DI water. So u would probably only need 2.4kg of salt. That would cost u less then $30 for the salt mix!!

Compared to the below:

1)Algae scrubber - even diy would cost u ~$100 for setup

2) biopellet - fr + biopellets ~$100

3) bac dosing ~ quality bac cost you $30 at least per bottle and its for long term application

4) carbon dosing ~ long term application

Do the math, you know u need a water change now.

Btw, on top of regular water change u still need to employ 1,2,3 & 4 (not entirely) over the entire span of your tank's life AND more forms of denitrification methods to keep ur nitrates low too...

Your tank your choice....

:: just a noob ::