Is poly filter good for nano tank without skimmer?

jackiee

Need to change frequent as they cloaked easily and become a nitrates factory.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Once every 1-2 weeks.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Use old tank water to wash during WC will be better.

• Like 1

IMO, protein skimmer is a must. However, if the tank cannot accommodate it, you should have a good chemical and biological filtration plus a routine WC.

For chemical filtration, my best recommendation is Chemi-Pure Elite (available in FreshNMarine, MadPetz, Clementi shops).

For biological filtration, my suggestion is Bio-Home.

WC should be 10% per week.

The reason why majority of people considers the protein skimmer as the heart of the tank filtration is because it is the only filtration available that can take organic/non-organic compound that we don't want out of the tank physically and fast. Other filtration system, filters some stuff but is still exposed (if it doesn't work through chemical reaction) with the tank water. And some even leaks, back to the tank, if are over used.

So without protein skimmers, the best bet is WC. My suggestion is you pre-mix your replacement water by bulk. This is to prevent water parameter change shock to the corals, critters, and fish in the tank every time you are dosing back water to the tank. You will have a consistent SG, etc on each replacement.

• SRC Member

Protein skimmers also introduce air into the tanks. That is why marine tanks don't use air pumps & air stones to introduce air like fresh water tanks because the protein skimmers already take care of that.

• SRC Member

http://www.aquariushobby.com.br/ecommerce_site/arquivos4140/arquivos/1328708176_2.jpg

I bought from a LFS in tampines, he had to specially go to the supplier to get it. not many left.

Just saw one bro selling his IQ5, think that is the same skimmer can ask him if he wants to let go the skimmer only

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

If the poly filter becomes hard. Does it means it's time to change or wash will do? Sent from my iPhone using http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1'>Tapatalk
The abdorbent efficiency will drop once it's used and even after wash, it's not as efficient as new ones. I will suggest change a new one.

• SRC Member

Best is to change it every month as the filter's does not cost much.

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer