Bubble tip anemone just died

dnwolf

whyyyyy??? My water was good ..

ammonia : undetectable

nitrite : undetectable

nitrate : undetectable

My Alkalinity is 10dKH and my salinity is 1.023....

I don't see why my bubble tip anemone would just die like that...

Is it because of the temperature? I haven't got a pump for my hailea 150 chiller so the temps around 29-30 degrees , but it seldom fluctuate ...

I've removed the anemone but its stinking flesh was ripped apart so easily... Now my tank is full with bits and pieces of flesh... I'm afraid of the sudden spike of ammonia and nitrite

so I did the emergency dosage of seachem prime to my tank.. The inhabitants still look healthy though...

So sad... The decomposing smell was smellier than anything I've ever smelt and it became gooey after i removed the main body from the tank..

I'll be monitoring the ammonia and nitrite levels to make sure they don't spike up too much...

My Red sea max 130 is currently running on 3 packets of carbon , 2 packets of ceramic rings and has a tunze 9002 upgrade(haven't broke in yet though) , will that be enough to clear up the mess and

make it suitable for my future bta ?

Thanks in advance guys!

• SRC Member

How old is ur tank when u added in ur bta? IMO anemones need mature tank to thrive, even parameters look fine but if it's too young the anemone will not be able to take it. Ur probably gonna experience a crash for ur tank.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

bro what lights are you using and what's your photoperiod? The main culprit in your case could be temperature swings or insufficient light. Was the bta full bloom 1 day and gone the next day or died a slow death? Mine slowly melted away when my lights went kaput and I didn't do anything for quite sometime due to work commitments.

The good news is my tank didn't crash. All fishes still healthy and going strong, only my snails up lorry, probably more sensitive to changes. zoas, shrooms and other soft corals also not affected. I don't really think the bta death had much detrimental effect to my tank.

The bad news is your tank volume is smaller than mine, so that may affect how well your tank copes as well. To play safe, I suggest running chemical filtration such as chemipure as a temporary stop gap, and do more water changes over the next few weeks.

• SRC Supporter

you may have gotten an unhealthy anemone or perhaps your tank is not in good condition or too new.

bta are pretty hardy, its not easy to get them rotting off like that.

dump in some carbon to save the situation and please do lots of water change,

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Well my tank is 2 weeks old and it finished cycling just a few days ago...

I've read articles online and they said that the green bubble tip anemone are really hardy

so i've decided to get my hands on one... The first day it was relatively ok , for the first few hours

it was well inflated , didn't move that much and was looking really healthy . Then later at night ( the lights are still on)

it sorta became deflated and shrivelled up. The next day i found it on the sand bed , over turned. So i used my bare hands to place it back into the hole

i previously placed it in and it was still shrivelled up . It kept flipping over for no good reason so i just let it be . Then today , its leg which once looked healthy ,

became thorn and ragged and i knew something was wrong . When i removed it , the tissue ripped apart so i quickly threw it away and ran carbon . I also dosed 5x the recommended

dosage of prime to help with the decaying tissues . Now the clown , blenny and hermits are looking healthy but the mushrooms are sorta shrivelled up like how they do at night.

• SRC Member

I experienced once, my purple tip anemone died during temperature fluctuation the first time I was testing my old tank with a chiller. They seem to be sensitive to temperature spikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• SRC Member

29-30 temp is definitely too high for anemones. Mine is kept at 26. I have 2 bta and 2 mini maxis.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Supporter

i have kept anemones between 26-28 degrees before and had kept afew BTAs at 29-30 on fan for months as well.

did you acclimatize it properly? perhaps it wasnt a healthy specimen. temperature shouldnt kill it off that easily.

many anemone were exposed under hot sun during low tide period with small puddle of water which warms up easily without any issue.

do let us know if you ever get your hands on another and keep us updated.

also do ensure to select anemone that are sticky and have no injury or torn foot.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

BTAs shouldn't just die like that in a very short time. Highly possible as already mentioned above, might have not been a healthy specimen when you got it. Your may need to do some water changes.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Im using API test kits ... I think maybe because of the temperature ... Anyone knows what pump to use together with a hailea 150 A chiller? I cant use an ehiem 2213 coz the tube won't fit ... Also , the pump must be able to fit into the filter compartment of a rsm 130 .. Someone help!

The light period of my tank is from 10 am - 10.30 pm . Im using the stock lighting from the red sea max 130 , so if im not wrong its 4watts per litre . The tunze 9002 haven't broken in ... the temperature in the tank is 29-31 degrees .

Im not using RO/DI water , instead im using tap water and seachem prime . The tanks diatoms issue has lessen since it last finished its cycle. I have 1 yellow striped blenny and 1 small clown . Someone please help mushrooms.... They look all shrivelled up and their mouths are opened T.T The fishes however are looking great ... im not sure why... did the toxin not kill them? LOL

Hmm i just checked my water parameters :

Ammonia-0 (Surprisingly it did not spike)

Nitrite-0 (Same for this)

Nitrate-0 (Same for this)

pH-8.2

Alkalinity-10dKH

Calcium- I'm not sure lol but i use reef salt , no other additives.

Phosphate - I'm not sure too but I use Prime treated tap water

Salanity-1.021 ( It dropped ! Im not sure why either ... The water level seems the same to me)

Could it be , because of my tank water movement ? I once saw it floating around and flipping itself again

Or could it be because of my tank inhibitants ( Suspects : Blue legged hermit , Yellow striped blenny )

Im afraid my tank would crash because of the toxins the anemone would release when its dying... Good thing i remove it soon after it passed away...

@RedDevils : The anemone was definitely looking healthy when i first bought it from Pasir Ris.

I think its because i did not acclimate it well... I let the bag float around my tank for around 5 minutes , but i did not drip acclimate . Instead , I let the a stream of water in every 5 seconds or so ...(I think this may be it)

Also i did handled it with my bare hands when it flipped over ...

@comycus : There doesn't seem to be extreme temperature swings but the salinity did change. Also the first day it was looking healthy in my tank for around an hour , then it deflated and shrivelled up ... The next day it flipped over and was still shrivelled up .. And then it died on the third day..

Anyways , someone please give me tips on saving a my mushrooms and gsp , i think the toxins are affecting it ...

• SRC Member

Bro, my two cents worth it looks like new tank syndrome most reefers would have experienced. Just let the tank run for a few weeks and then change 10% water. add good bacteria. keep temp down and constant but this should not kill tough gsp and mushies.