Fluval Spec 5 marine tank seeking for advise

Hi pros, am thinking of getting a Fluval Spec 5 and making it my first marine tank. Is there anyone who can advise a step-by-step idiot's guide? I hope to get to a tank with all the bright colors of and bustling marine life!

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Firstly, after getting the tank, do i need to change the factory default light to get it to the marine kind of lighting which can support coral and fishes. Do i need to add anything to the default filters etc? (specs of Fluval Spec: http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Starter-Kits-Desktop/10516)

2. So far my plan is to get some LR, and arag LS, with half or 1 market prawn to get the cycling started. Which test kit is a good starter kit to buy?

3. Once that is done, i will need to introduce cleaning crew first? For a 5G/19L tank, how many and what kind of cleaning crew should i introduce

4. After cleaning crew is in, do i introduce corals or fishes first? Am advised to get Hammers and Mushrooms as a starter coral as they are hardier, but the colors are duller, so am seeing if there are other brighter, more colorful corals that I can be suggested.

5. Am thinking of introducing clowns but am not sure i should due to the tank size.

Thanks for your valuable inputs!

Hi, what are the live stocks u intend to keep? From the spec alone, I do not think you can keep any life stocks for long as one of the most important piece of equipment is missing, protein skimmer that is.. If there is space for skimmer, u may keep a few fishes with LR. If you intend to keep corals, chiller is a must.. read more, think more and plan more before you commit into anything! 2cent worth, hope it help..

Thanks sunny..yes..am reading n reading first before plunging in..barrier of entry for marine is so tough..haizzz..totally different from my fresh water experiences where things are so much simpler..and everything just survives..lol!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Is easy if have enough budget (:

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Very beautiful n sleek tank..I like the outlook..I think its best place in office with air con..the evaporation will b lesser n water parameter will b more stable..for marine, the most important is good live rocks..there's successful setup with live rocks n cheato in sump only..temp wise range from 28-31°c..give it a try but spend within ur budget..happy reefing

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Thanks for the comments. .This will be my first real tank after like 20 yrs. .tot of an Aquascape tank after reading the intricacies of marine tank..but after reading up on aquascaping. .not that simple too..haizzz. .need to think carefully before committing. ..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...