New nano tank owner

Hi all,

I just started a nano tank 1 month ago and everything seems well...until yesterday one of the anemone (I'm a newbbie, appreciate if can enlighten me on its name") just decided to shrink dramatically. All the other "frag" are doing just fine except for this.

I have a bubble coral which seems to be doing just fine. I would like to save it but other than feeding it is there any other way?

I changes 40% of the water weekly.

Fishes are:

Blue damsels

Black and white (extremely notorious, really looks like a thug from its stripes)

false anemonefish

All the other I dunno their name. Opps...

Trying to be a responsible keeper, so appreciate a hand, any hand :)

14131505053_f71472c00b.jpg

14111434225_f7966e43c8.jpg

14131505033_fa15370828.jpg

14108168571_6cae0869ec.jpg

Hi, bro, that looks more like a torch coral you are referring to. I don't see an anemone in there. Since you do frequent water changes, i will think its something besides the water parameter. Firstly, check if you have gotten the right salinity for the tank, basically this is beacuse for a small nano, with no chiller, evaporation rate is insane, and when u add more salt water, the salinity just keeps rising. Bubble corals are very hardy and can accept wide range of parameters, the torch coral not so. Next, it might be the temp of the water, you wanna try keeping it under 29 degrees. Check out these 2 and let us know.

Btw, thats a bloody innovative looking tank + stand. Can i put a $1 and twist for a nemo?

I Love Stagsss

+1 on lighting, didnt notice. haha. Invest in a single par38 with gooseneck holder. The tank will be beautifully lit and sufficent light + par to cover entire tank. Keep it some distance from the top of the tank and you can keep more variety of corals.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

+2 on the lights.....your corals need proper spectrum of lights not just any lights.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

I love the creativity. Reminded me of some tank maker show on tv.

From past experience, poor lighting is the cause of my coral's death.

need to balance lighting and temperature. :D

I really like the innovativeness!:D

• 4 weeks later...

The base was sourced through a fellow selling candy machine. Than I retrofit the tank through a glass maker at Kelantan.

It comes with a top, and its not really that filmsy, unless you shake it, but who will go shake their own tank, yeah?

Went to get a better lighting, but after some consideration, decided to convert 3ft fresh tank instead and place it in my study room.

Now the fishes are in QT until my 3ft stablized.

Converted this tank to a freshwater for 1 x betta.

Will post the pic again.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

hi ...i'm got a nano tank that cycle for just two weeks...thinking of putting carol in it too but according to some article..tank will be ready for carol only after 6 months at least ? true ?

A tank without chiller, will the carol be able to survive ?

@SteveS, i think it all depends on the type of coral you are keeping and also whats the temperature of your water. Many did not do with a chiller. Just that with chiller will have better colors for your fishes and coral.

Soem can thrive at 29c