Tofu's 4ft Reef tank

tofubox

Some other changes:

1. Removed 4 blue eye anthias + 2 chromis, hoping i can trap out my yellow tang soon.

2. Installed a gyre xf150, love it so much, everyone shld have one. haha. kicks up everything, and provides a wide flow from front to back

3.  Changed my light combi, running double AB special next to each other right in the middle. 

4. Resuming back full Zeovit regime as I'll have more time on hand now. Neglected the corals for too long. 

Daily - Zeostart3 0.3ml Am/PM
Spongepower - 3 x week 4 drops
Monday - Bbalance - 20ml
Tuesday - Biomate - 5 drops
Wednesday - Amino acid - 5 drops
Thursday - Iron - 6 drops
Friday - Zeobak - 5 drops 
Even week monday - Zeolife - 5ml
Odd week tuesday - Zeozym - half spoon 
20th each month - Zeospur macroelem - 20ml
20th each month - Iodine - 5 drops

This pic was on a full zeovit regime, Im hoping I can get it back.

IMG-20150514-WA0071.thumb.jpg.02aca4864d

Edited by tofubox

I Love Stagsss

any videos with the gyre installed ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

Did a nice good clean up of the tank glass. Here's a clearer pic of the new scape. 6039727829d9e15c5cbeed7d9bafbabc.jpg3c14c4008bd953e3de7942db0c24fd79.jpg

Also really impressed by how well the gyre picks up crap from the sand. Surprised by how white my sand was.

14c25bdd665fd6c06c4eca94311b0412.jpg2cd8db1065e10b7b6210c4451454b47c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I Love Stagsss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Gong Xi fa cai everyone! 

This year will be a pretty busy year for me. Hence I may be deciding to decomm (sps only) soon. 

I guess the main consideration will be time. Currently working a double job, day and night : 11am till 1am in the night. And hopefully later this year, I will be travelling quite often.

As disheartening as it is, I may have to switch over to lps or just FOWLR as I have lost a couple of my sps recently just mainly due to my negligence and lack of time.

I thank everyone sincerely for your support over the last years. Updating this thread and sharing my experience with everyone has been one of the most exciting thing for me in this hobby

I will not be closing this thread or stopping the updates. Instead, i will be updating the changes in my tank, and some of my future plans which will be less demanding overall. Maybe it may be helpful to those who are looking for a less demanding marine system. 

Do look out for my sps sales post which will be coming up. Seriously quite depressed to sell all my beautiful stags which i have grown over the year, from little frags to giant colonies. Do support my sales if ur keen!

I wish all a very happy lunar new year! HUAT AH!

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Happy new year bro! Kinda sad to see you decom your beautiful sps. Def will support your sale and looking forward to see you come back stronger when you have more time too!

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• 3 months later...

Thank you everyone for all the support I've received over the years, and to those who have followed this thread from day 1. I really appreciate it =D

As most of you would know, I will be taking a break from reefing and focusing more on my job and other life commitments. The main reason I have to stop reefing is because I couldn't find the time and money to maintain and upkeep a reef tank. This includes simple task like changing water or monitoring parameters. Many would say that its a result of a bad system (rumor says zeovit is not sustainable, I think u know who that person is) or just laziness, but i assure u, its more about me not waiting till disaster strike before making a decision. 

Heres a typical example, though not similar in situation, its similar in the end results.

So instead of waiting for a disaster to strike, I decided to sell of my corals whilst they were still in great health. And in fact, I dont think i profited from the sales. As i sold either lower than what i paid for, or i increased the price only slightly due to the extreme growth the coral had. It would be a waste to see my sps just wither and die.

I Love Stagsss

As for those who are interested on Zeovit. Heres my honest opinion about the system. I wasn't sponsored by zeovit nor any LFS to advertise for their products.

1. Zeovit was the most successful system for me, amongst my entire reefing journey, trying out all different methods. 

2. Zeovit allowed me to really understand my corals and their reactions.

3. Its not a fool proof method, it takes plenty of understanding and testing. I would never recommend a newbie to use zeovit.

4. The basic 4 indeed does help, but you do have to understand that there are basic guidelines that needs to be fulfilled.

5. The fact that you require daily dosing is a bitch. But its like feeding a dog or having any other pet. 

6. I had my fair share of failures and of course not every blue bottle worked like it says on the label. Some don't even have any reactions after dosing, but i still dose anyways.

I guess the golden question is...is zeovit sustainable? Well, of course, just do a simple search on google and you would see zeovit tanks that are many years old. Personally, I did still be on zeovit if i hadn't choose to decomm, and I'm sure it would have still been my choice for many years.  Again, I decomm due to the lack of time and commitment for these beautiful animals, not because the system failed on me.  At my 1.5yr mark, here is what i got from the buyer that took over my coral during my decomm.

download (1).png

As I have mentioned many times in this forum....

Does it work? Yes it does

Is it the only system out there? Hell no.

Its disheartening to hear rumors about some things that are not even true. Don't let these narrow minded people affect your judgement in this hobby, as not everyone has the same system for reef keeping. Keep an open mind. 

Happy reefing everyone! 

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Supporter

Very disappointed to see you decomm bro. I've seen your tank from new to awesome to decomm.. From reefer's point of view, your tank at its peak is truly the best I've seen. That kind of convinced me to start using some zeovit stuff.

Anyway, as always, some dudes are just too free, too jealous, too narrow minded to appreciate.

Really hope to see you back soon. All the best to whatever you need to do for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Member
As for those who are interested on Zeovit. Heres my honest opinion about the system. I wasn't sponsored by zeovit nor any LFS to advertise for their products.

1. Zeovit was the most successful system for me, amongst my entire reefing journey, trying out all different methods. 

2. Zeovit allowed me to really understand my corals and their reactions.

3. Its not a fool proof method, it takes plenty of understanding and testing. I would never recommend a newbie to use zeovit.

4. The basic 4 indeed does help, but you do have to understand that there are basic guidelines that needs to be fulfilled.

5. The fact that you require daily dosing is a bitch. But its like feeding a dog or having any other pet. 

6. I had my fair share of failures and of course not every blue bottle worked like it says on the label. Some don't even have any reactions after dosing, but i still dose anyways.

I guess the golden question is...is zeovit sustainable? Well, of course, just do a simple search on google and you would see zeovit tanks that are many years old. Personally, I did still be on zeovit if i hadn't choose to decomm, and I'm sure it would have still been my choice for many years.  Again, I decomm due to the lack of time and commitment for these beautiful animals, not because the system failed on me.  At my 1.5yr mark, here is what i got from the buyer that took over my coral during my decomm.

download (1).png

As I have mentioned many times in this forum....

Does it work? Yes it does

Is it the only system out there? Hell no.

Its disheartening to hear rumors about some things that are not even true. Don't let these narrow minded people affect your judgement in this hobby, as not everyone has the same system for reef keeping. Keep an open mind. 

Happy reefing everyone! 

Bro take care . Sad u have to leave

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kelvin, zeovit doesnt have a specific line of "colour elements". They offer a different way of colouring corals, through multiple means, such as Coral vitaliser, amino acids, B balance and Pohl's Xtra. Than u can take it a step further to get more brighter corals using zeospur. 

Personally, my opinion is u can start of with the basic 4, than start with CV and AA. Subsequently, base on your coral colours, use b balance or xtra as requried. Xtra if u wan a darker looking coral, B balance if u wan lighter and brighter. Last step is to go with zeospur, only if ur corals are in healthy conditions. 

Since u just cycled the tank, my advise is to stick to the basic 4 for now, and upkeep good husbandry. 

Hope this helps.

I Love Stagsss

Also have many queries on my lighting bracket...

The bracket was diy with parts purchased from prestech, http://www.prestech.com.sg/ , they have a walk in shop at kakit bukit. 

I cant remember the model numbers, my suggestion is to bring ur hanging kit there, than test on the spot, cos I remember i had to have a part of the profile filed off in order to insert the hanging kit. They will do this for u without extra cost. 

FYI, you can even customise a standing hanging kit if you require. 

Sorry i can;t help much here, as its been some time since I had the brackets done. 

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member
Hi Kelvin, zeovit doesnt have a specific line of "colour elements". They offer a different way of colouring corals, through multiple means, such as Coral vitaliser, amino acids, B balance and Pohl's Xtra. Than u can take it a step further to get more brighter corals using zeospur. 

Personally, my opinion is u can start of with the basic 4, than start with CV and AA. Subsequently, base on your coral colours, use b balance or xtra as requried. Xtra if u wan a darker looking coral, B balance if u wan lighter and brighter. Last step is to go with zeospur, only if ur corals are in healthy conditions. 

Since u just cycled the tank, my advise is to stick to the basic 4 for now, and upkeep good husbandry. 

Hope this helps.

Thx bro I'm thinking about the xtra. But I see the zeo spur can pump up yellow colour . I will try that advice that u give . Cause your sps colour looking good . Hope I will get same colour as yours .

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...