Problems with keeping sps

• SRC Member

It's been said that leather secretes toxin that is harmful to sps, retard the growth of sps. U can only run more carbon if u wanna keep softies and hard corals together.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Do you dose any trace elements bro?

I once overdosed iodine and cause bleaching.

Browned SPS is easier to fix, it is normally due to insufficient PAR.

It sometimes not visible for our eye. E.g. T5 tubes got to change every 8 months; once I wanted to experiment and intentionally didn't change it after 1 year and to me the light looks the same but it was very obvious that the coral started to brown out and some started closing polyps and some started showing STN. Then I believe, and changed the tubes. Within few weeks everything went back normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Just sharing.

About leathers, I have 2 leathers for almost a year. No issue so far, one is a big piece side by side to SPS.

I have Xenia to help consuming NO3. By monitoring Xenia growth I likely know how nutrient rich or poor my water is. My feeding is quite heavy and now especially with anthias. No issue also with SPS although some reference says that they can produce toxin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleBurger, yah, i heard about leather releasing. But i can't bear to remove this leather as it has been w me for 2 years and has grown very nicely. So i did some reading on internet and some sites say finger leathers are the more dangerous ones. Toadstools are alright. Is this correct?

Solasido, saw your posts after posting my previous comment.

Good to hear that you have no issues with leather n sps together.

Does Xenia help to consume NO3? If so, i would love to get some xenia!

No, i don't dose any trace element. My T5 is newly bought.

I really hope someone here can help me identify the source of my problem so that a solution can be applied. Sigh...

May I recommend you to pay this reefer a visit ? His nick is Yellowtang , well received by reefers for his straight talking ( constructive comments )...yet fatherly loving by nature. You will benefit to a certain extent by talking to him.

Cheers!

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

I used Red Sea phosphate-nitrate remover... Works for me in pushing both elements down within a few days to almost unnoticeable levels before I allowed my skimmer and chaeto to do their job of maintaining those baddies...

Angel Keeper, you mentioned Red Sea phosphate-nitrate remover. Does it work the same as Carib Sea Phosbuster Pro?

I have that already and my nitrate is now about 0.5ppm, so I guess my Chaetos are doing their job well. Left with phosphate. Though I am running rowaphos in a FR, maybe po4 is still leeching from my rocks that rowaphos is not sufficient. Thinking of dosing Phosbuster to supplement. Any advise?

I recent come across the name of another type of algae - bryopsis algae. I suspect those in my tank is this rather than green hair algae. Does this indicate anything specific other than po4 leeching from rocks?

Is there any natural eater of bryopsis algae that I can get to rid of them? They are very difficult to remove manually.

IMO your water perimeter is ok. Perhaps u hv dose too many chemical to reduce/up this n that particularly cyano where antibiotic is added. I recommend to do a major water change ie 50% with red sea pro salt n do another 50% a week later allowing u to correct 75% of water. Thereafter start yr rowaphos to keep po4 in check . yr cheato should hv slow growth n if not meat that yr rock is leeching po4.

• Like 1

IMO your water perimeter is ok. Perhaps u hv dose too many chemical to reduce/up this n that particularly cyano where antibiotic is added. I recommend to do a major water change ie 50% with red sea pro salt n do another 50% a week later allowing u to correct 75% of water. Thereafter start yr rowaphos to keep po4 in check . yr cheato should hv slow growth n if not meat that yr rock is leeching po4.

Blank tank, i suspect my rocks and sand are leeching nutrients. I have been doing 10% water change, twice every week for the past month. I.e. 20% per week. Thinking of doing this for the rest of this month and by then, I should have changed about 75% of my total tank volume.

Would this be ok?

• SRC Member

Bryopsis is one tough algae high up on the list. I rather get cynao anytime than bryopsis. Manually removing them will only help to spread its spores. Not many fish will eat them as it taste is nasty. Read that raising mg will help. If only one rock has them, I suggest you ditch that rock before it spreads.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

Major water change is more effective. For instance, if u do 50% change, u remove 50% nutrient a 1 go. 7 days later u do another 50%, u remove 75% of unwanted water n left 25% of untouch water.

However, if u change 20%, u left 80% nutrient. Next week u do another 20%, u effectively remove 20% of the 80% water meaning u left 64% untouch water.

At the end u need 6 water change to acheive the same result n off course less stress to occupants n salt money.

Bryopsis is one tough algae high up on the list. I rather get cynao anytime than bryopsis.Manually removing them will only help to spread its spores. Not many fish will eat them as it taste is nasty.Read that raising mg will help. If only one rock has them, I suggest you ditch that rock before it spreads.

Yah, bryopsis is nasty. Got some seahares. According to FuEl, seahare eats bryopsis. Hope they can help me get rid of those nuisance algae.

Major water change is more effective. For instance, if u do 50% change, u remove 50% nutrient a 1 go. 7 days later u do another 50%, u remove 75% of unwanted water n left 25% of untouch water.

However, if u change 20%, u left 80% nutrient. Next week u do another 20%, u effectively remove 20% of the 80% water meaning u left 64% untouch water.

At the end u need 6 water change to acheive the same result n off course less stress to occupants n salt money.

Yes, black tank, you are right. But unfortunately, due to work and family commitments, and lack of huge containers for large volume of new salt water, I have to do smaller volume change with higher frequency.

I did an approximate calculation, by the end of this month, I would have changed approximately 75% of the tank water. That is after a total of 14 water changes over a 2-month period. Challenge is whether I can persevere till end of this month!

• SRC Member
Yah, bryopsis is nasty. Got some seahares. According to FuEl, seahare eats bryopsis. Hope they can help me get rid of those nuisance algae.
Bro,seahare eat bryopsis?Pls kindly update if proven I should get one for myself too.Thanks

Bro,seahare eat bryopsis?Pls kindly update if proven I should get one for myself too.Thanks

3 days after adding the seahares, although I see them munching around, but really don't know what they are eating. Because I still see those hairy algae in their paths.

Will update here again if I see them attacking the hairy algae.