Urgent guidance needed with New Reef tank

Hi, I am new to Singapore and new to Reef tank hobby. (Have long experience with freshwater). I need urgent guidance on Coral.

16-August : bought a 18" acrylic tank with IOS from Jireh Marine. Loaded with RO water, salt mix and live sand.

23-August : loaded Live rock and 5 mushroom corals in tank.

26-August : changed 20% water

Till yesterday everything was fine. Today my tank covered with a reddish Algee and my corals are dying.

What should I do?

Temp 28

pH 8

Salinity 1.026

post-23791-14092267342587_thumb.jpgpost-23791-14092267476577_thumb.jpgpost-23791-14092268119411_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

on top of that u added ur liverocks only a few days back. there might be die offs from it causing a spike in ammonia. may i ask did u receive any advise about adding life stocks so soon

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• SRC Member

bro, you shall test at least the following water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, NO3 and PO4 and if your live rocks start to become dead rocks, then all these para will only shot up... keep doing partial water change and hope that your filter will be established before any more bad things happen

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Bro,

For emergency

Quickly buy Seachem reef safe to neutralize ammonia as soon as possible

Buy Microbacter to add bacteria

Do not feed anything

Monitor salinity as water evaporated into air.

Notice that you do not have chiller, need to ensure max. Temperature of max 29 deg Celsius for LPS ideally <=28 cel ours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm. Feeling bad for the poor corals. My mistake cost their life.

I bought a Nano 11x17.25x13" = 8.15 gallon or 31 liter tank. It has IOS filter and a Venturi protein skimmer. Added 10 KG Live sand and 9 KG Live Rock.

I am using a Dymax fan but the Temperature is around 29 degrees.

-> Do I need a chiller?

-> Bought two 18" LED lights (white and blue) from Jireh. How would I know if the lighting is not sufficient?

-> Bought 6 additives(Magnesium, Iodine etc etc) from Jireh for adding to water, do I really need them?

Thanks for your patience.

• SRC Member

must see how many watts ur lights is. Also if u keep zoas, if they stretch their heads out when ur lights is on that means its insufficient.

what 6 additives did u get do share. for such a small tank if you keep soft corals only u dun need those. just change water every week.

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

If you intent to keep this hobby for a period of time, i think the chiller is a must . The trouble of topping up of freshwater from the evaporation as well as the possible algae problem that come with it might make you give up this hobby pretty fast.

Think about saving on the few bottle of addictive might be enough for a mini chiller.

• SRC Member

Bro,

I used to keep 1.5ft cube nano without chiller for about 1.5 years.

I used 2 dymax fan. I put the tank on the coolest spot (no air conditioning, just a windy spot with never got sunlight at all even the nearby window). I could maintain my temperature around 27-28 Celsius. On wet season it could be down to 25-26. On hottest day max it was only 29 Celsius.

But evaporation is high and need to auto top up water .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Bud, I don't understand... You have much experience with freshwater... Cycling both freshwater and saltwater is about the same...

Secondly, you were sold live sand... If it was indeed live, you would not be facing that much of a problem... Live rocks also comes with bacteria as well... So nitrifying bacteria should have been present...

Looking at your present situation, it's best to find someone to save your fishes and corals... While your tank cycles...

I live near that area. And normally i go pasir ris farm. Maximum 10mins by driving. Alot of good shops there like iwarna, pinnacle or ah beng. If coral, GO at junction of upper serangoon road and bartley road. End of upper paya lebar road opposite upper serangoon shopping centre there is aquarist chamber.

• Like 1