food for seahorse

acidjc

hi all,

may I ask what is the alternate food for sea horse beside live food??

cos live food not always available.. hence thinking of giving food like frozen mysis etc..

if only feed with frozen mysis or brine shrimp..it is goo for seahorse in long run?? will they enough nutritious??

please advise me .. thank you very much.

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

• SRC Supporter

you need to enrich the frozen food with Selcon, vitamin ect to feed your seahorse. Try Feeding PE mysys which is better enriched frozen food and cleaner than the normal mysis shrimp , frozen food is a better alternative than live foods i feel.

can try Frozen copepods. They need slow water movement. They will "follow" the food slowly before eating. Its best if you have live pods for them to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you need to enrich the frozen food with Selcon, vitamin ect to feed your seahorse. Try Feeding PE mysys which is better enriched frozen food and cleaner than the normal mysis shrimp , frozen food is a better alternative than live foods i feel.

thank you bro for the info.. may I know where to get the above mention items???

frozen copepods, Selcon and the PE mysis..

I know know hikari mysis which I used to feed my freshwater fishes.. sorry the noob

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

Most marine shops should stock them. Try those that are nearer to you. give a call before going down as they may not be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank.. my nearest is ML, so maybe drop by there look see look see

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

Ts-may ask what sort of live food you feed to your seahorse? What specis of seahorse you keeping? Transiting them to frozen be good for long run.

Hi hi, I have not been keeping seahorse for donkey years..my last seahorse was in my teenager time, those days no experience and only try to feed with brine shrimp, at the end seahorse die of starvation..

Now thinking of keeping again, and with the new technology, I believe the succes rate will be higher

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

Feeding frozen is okie, mine used to do well , breed regularly with just frozen diet. Of cos the frozen food must be enrich/marinated before feeding. The only problem is to train them to frozen ..... :)

so may I ask how you train them?? strave them for a few days and then spray the food infront of them? I rem try this last time, it did not work and at the end all seahorse up lorry :(

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

• 3 weeks later...

I tried once and all 4 died from starvation too. I am still harbouring dreams of keeping a tankful of a variety of seahorses and am still keen to try if there is a solution to the feeding problem. This makes me wonder how the commercial display aquariums worldwide e.g. Underwater World, keep them alive and breeding. They must know or have something we don't.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

Commercial aquariums have their own cultures of live mysis shrimp that they feed their seahorses or they have a stable supplier who supplies them regularly. But rearing live mysis is difficult for most of us hobbyists. I guess a large aquarium with lots of macroalgae harbouring pods would do the trick IF a few seahorses are the only inhabitants but that is also not the case for most of us. So abit difficult la. But still! Anything is possible for the determined!

2u72lqx.gif