WTB Harlequin filefish(blue colour yellow spotted) feeding on Pellet/D

CalebNg

• SRC Member

Thanks for the well-wishes and advice Bulldozer, much appreciated bro. :cheers:

Yes, Harlequin Filefish are undisputedly in the higher tiers of the more difficult-to-keep fishes. This is due to 2 factors. The first is that they are obligate coral feeders, and are difficult to wean unto eating prepared foods. The outcome of this is the unfortunate event is usually death by starvation. Also, these filefish are extremely shy fish, slow-moving and extremely vulnerable to attack by more aggressive fishes usually present in most reefers' aquariums. Thus, the slow moving filefish are susceptible to being bullied, might die from excessive bullying, plus the existence of the problem that they are not able to feed enough to sustain them as they are very, very slow eaters.

I plan to keep the fish in a pair, in a proper sized tank where they are the only fish. I hope that I can get a specimen that is already feeding on prepared foods and will only try to keep these fish if they are already feeding, as the responsibility of getting them to feed is mine, and I do not excel in getting fish to feed on prepared foods.

• SRC Member

Much thanks to bulldozer for taking time and effort to advice me , imo it is such graciousness and willingness to help others that makes src such a good platform for reefers to come together and learn from one another , especially for beginners such as myself ! We are all learning in this hobby, together ! Cheers ! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

just last Sunday bro slayer posted a pic of a pair of this fish at Iwarna. your best bet would be ah beng. regularly have them actually.they would be in the tanks beside the small trigger and lionfishes. ignore this if you already know but to sex the fish, look at their black belly pouch. the difference in number of white spots should help you differentiate between a male and female.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Special thanks to bombom for his advice on how to sex the fish, and of course i appreciate him taking the trouble to show me the photos! This hobby is really a learning journey made easier by helpful reefers !