Tank for Shark

noboni85

Definitely need a round/circular tank or the shark will get stressed from bumping his nose at the corners and they always need to keep swimming to keep breathing unless you're looking at bamboo or banded-something shark... But yea.. Its tough to find a good home for sharks...

• SRC Member

Hello! So if you wanna start a new shark tank, you must first decide on what shark to get.

I would suggest getting benthic sharks ( bottom-dwelling ) like bamboo sharks and cat sharks as they are more adaptable to the aquarium life. In my opinion, the whitespotted bamboo shark would fit perfectly in this category for reasons being that I have been seeing them appearing more frequently for sale at our LFS and also because they grow to a moderate size of around 3 feet.

Although a juvenile can fit into an aquarium less that 180 gallons ( a normal 5 foot rectangular tank ) it is not recommended to keep any sharks in an aquarium smaller than this. Do also note that these bottom dwellers need more floor area to swim at the bottom of the tank than do they to swim up and around the tank. So if you are customising your tank take note. Although you will probably be getting young juveniles from our LFS you must note that sharks grow very quickly. so try not to put them in small tanks and wait for them to grow out. Note that although a circular tank is always recommended for a shark tank, benthic sharks do not have such strict requirements on tank shape because they do not need to constantly swim to breathe and have the illusion of infinite space.

Set-up requirements

Sharks need a system that has a highly efficient filtration system which is able to remove wastes and nutrients quickly and efficiently. Because they grow to a relatively big size and they are messy eaters, water quality will always be a pressing issue.

A large and efficient skimmer would be of paramount importance in such a setup. Then, a very good mechanical and biological filter will also be required. There are various mechanical and biological filtrations available now. So do read up. Lighting will not be an issue as well as sharks do not need special lighting. But do provide many hiding spots as they are nocturnal and prefer to hide during the day.

Care

These sharks are pretty hardy and require very little care in my opinion. They eat various fresh and frozen seafood like clams and cockles and other fishes. Feeding should be done in the dark preferably as these sharks are nocturnal. They are fairly hardy and will not easily succumb to common illnesses seen in other marine fishes. A proper and balanced, varied diet is all that is needed to ensure the good health of your fishes.

I believe I have provided you enough information to start your own proper shark tank. Please avoid keeping blacktip reef sharks and other pelagic species ( non-stop swimming). They will require much more care and will not fare well. Leave these to the public aquariums. :)

Cheers!

• Like 1

2u72lqx.gif

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
Hello! So if you wanna start a new shark tank, you must first decide on what shark to get.

I would suggest getting benthic sharks ( bottom-dwelling ) like bamboo sharks and cat sharks as they are more adaptable to the aquarium life. In my opinion, the whitespotted bamboo shark would fit perfectly in this category for reasons being that I have been seeing them appearing more frequently for sale at our LFS and also because they grow to a moderate size of around 3 feet.

Although a juvenile can fit into an aquarium less that 180 gallons ( a normal 5 foot rectangular tank ) it is not recommended to keep any sharks in an aquarium smaller than this. Do also note that these bottom dwellers need more floor area to swim at the bottom of the tank than do they to swim up and around the tank. So if you are customising your tank take note. Although you will probably be getting young juveniles from our LFS you must note that sharks grow very quickly. so try not to put them in small tanks and wait for them to grow out. Note that although a circular tank is always recommended for a shark tank, benthic sharks do not have such strict requirements on tank shape because they do not need to constantly swim to breathe and have the illusion of infinite space.

Set-up requirements

Sharks need a system that has a highly efficient filtration system which is able to remove wastes and nutrients quickly and efficiently. Because they grow to a relatively big size and they are messy eaters, water quality will always be a pressing issue.
A large and efficient skimmer would be of paramount importance in such a setup. Then, a very good mechanical and biological filter will also be required. There are various mechanical and biological filtrations available now. So do read up. Lighting will not be an issue as well as sharks do not need special lighting. But do provide many hiding spots as they are nocturnal and prefer to hide during the day.

Care

These sharks are pretty hardy and require very little care in my opinion. They eat various fresh and frozen seafood like clams and cockles and other fishes. Feeding should be done in the dark preferably as these sharks are nocturnal. They are fairly hardy and will not easily succumb to common illnesses seen in other marine fishes. A proper and balanced, varied diet is all that is needed to ensure the good health of your fishes.

I believe I have provided you enough information to start your own proper shark tank. Please avoid keeping blacktip reef sharks and other pelagic species ( non-stop swimming). They will require much more care and will not fare well. Leave these to the public aquariums.

Cheers!

Good knowledge

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk