Hitch hiker

Hi , I just found out that my tank has alot of these hitch hikers.

Please help me.

I am a newbie here and please tell me whether this is reef safe.

If it is not reef safe please tell me what to do.

5b10233f7d38db337809033fdd39fca5.jpg

• SRC Member

These are zoanthids. Soft corals. Part of the reef.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Those are zoanthid eating nudibranches. Dip your coral to remove.

If that coral had been in your tank, they probably had spread now. If so, keeping your tank coral free to starve them off.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

I read somewhere that if u are hardworking, pinching them out of the water with tweezers would do the job too. But that's provided u can pinch out 20-30 at a time, greatly reducing their reproduction rates.

A few lone individuals won't be able to reproduce. So as long as u maintain the hardwork it should be cleared

• SRC Member

Used to have them too. My 6 lined wrasse finished all of them. Best is to dip and get a wrasse. Dipping wont completely remove them as they might be in ur rocks n sand..and dipping also wont kill the eggs

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

Maybe what u can do is get those external breeder box and put your zoas inside after a good dip. This way higher chance for those in the tank to starve out and easier for you to monitor the zoas and pick out any visible nudibranch

Ok thx will try the method

Welly, the most effective method is to use natural predator against the nudis.

Get ur tank a 'policeman' aka yellow Cories wrasse. There are many other wrasse that works as well. But this is the more cost effective specimen you might want to try first.

Add the affected zoas colonies into the breeder box that Mitchell spoke of. Add the wrasse into it.

Only remove the colonies after all zoas beautifully open up.

Welcome to reefing world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

Do monitor that pcs of zoas again as it might have eggs and nudis will appear again.

If I cannot get rid of the eggs what else can I do? I have the same problem with a few bunch of zoas. RODI them for five minutes and wash the zoas under running water already. And find out after a few weeks those nudis still appear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk