DIY Review *Crystal Plus 1 Stage DI + Aquafoss DI* = No waste water +

asg

• SRC Member

As some of you might be aware, I am not a big fan of treating water for WC/ Top up. Heard too much negative reviews about RO/ DI systems i.e. troublesome, expensive, etc etc etc.

But hey, one has to move ahead with time right? so this time round, am putting my hands wet to give it a try. My expectation of DI-ing water for my WC is pretty clear right from the start, three criteria that I consider getting my DI system:

1) No waste water. (10 litres treated water that comes with 40 litres of waste water is just not appealing to me, at all.)

2) TDS of the treated water has to be less than 10 and NO3 as close to 0ppm as possible. (to see real benefit of WC with a better water)

3) Total cost has to be lesser than $100 with replace cost of less than $50 for 3 – 6 months of usage. (money money money)

So after much research online, I have decided on a Crystal Plus 1 Stage DI (selling in LFS, one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest DI available locally) and if it cannot bring TDS down to 0 then I will further filter the water with an Aquafoss DI resin (Design for reef use. Not avail locally. price about one blue tang).

Crystal plus 1 stage

post-5037-0-67175800-1416794936.jpg

Aquafoss DI

post-5037-0-25184200-1416795584_thumb.jp

How actual item looks like

post-5037-0-62366200-1416794943_thumb.jp

This is how the setup looks like: Tap water -> Crystal plus -> DI Aquafoss -> Treated water (Filter up to 400l per day.)

post-5037-0-90444000-1416794956_thumb.jp

Results: (I am actually pleasantly surprise that the result matches my calculation and expectation)

TDS for tap input: 71

post-5037-0-08208300-1416794963_thumb.jp

TDS after Crystal Plus 1 Stage: 39

post-5037-0-16011800-1416794970_thumb.jp

Final TDS after Aquafoss: 0

post-5037-0-42946100-1416794975_thumb.jp

Final NO3 after Aquafoss: 0

post-5037-0-17177600-1416794982_thumb.jp

So here it is, my semi DIY DI filter system which cost me less than $90, with no waste water and zero TDS + NO3.

Conclusion: I will surely recommend this setup to any bro/ sis who is budget conscience and dread the idea of staring at 40l of waste water for 10l of treated water...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

Where you get the aqua floss?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

You did not use any carbon? I wonder if the chlorine and cholormine present in our tap water will affect the quality of thr resin.

I run a bag of carbon in the pail after I mix the treated water with salt. Chlorine and Cholormine shall be one of the easiest to get rid off, for that I use prime.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Bro y dun u get the carbon as well so take out chlorine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chlorine is not a big issue to me cos I run the mixed (salt) water with Prime for at least 24 hours prior to WC. Also, I thought TDS 0 means nothing in it... not even chlorine liao?

@Sept 2014

There is a cheaper way. Just need resin, a drum and circulation pump. Result is the same and faster.someone posted before. Happy reading.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

There is a cheaper way. Just need resin, a drum and circulation pump. Result is the same and faster.someone posted before. Happy reading.

yo yo bro, i read that post sometime back. I dont think it will be any cheaper with pump and electricity involved. Furthermore, resin price (for crystal plus) in Singapore has to be one of the cheapest liao.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Im always worried about chlorine and esp chloromine spoiling the resin.. Would be great for u to update..

Spoiling as in exhausting the resin faster than normal? I would like to test for chlorine/ chloromine too but I do not have any tester for it. The label on the Aquafoss states that it will remove chlorine.

Any way, one good thingy about this Aquafoss (and Crystal plus) is that they are relatively cheap and can be connected in series easily. so changing them wont cost me much $ :superman:

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Can get from madpetz 3 stand alone di cannister first one put carbon second 2 put do resin. Thats what I did. Also 0 tds

:ooh: bro, 0 tds is the goal, but the thing is to reach it with lowest $ in my case lah. I calculated my replacement cost for the resin, even if i change both at the same time, it will only cost me less than 3 blue tangs ah.

The only thing i hope now is that both resin can really last for 1000l of water (as claim)

@Sept 2014

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Might consider ur method when i step into corals bro. Thanks for sharing. Was skeptical abt RODI water cuz of the wastage.. Cnfrm kena chase out frm house.. Would like to noe if there's any other product besides the aqua floss that has the same ability Happy reefing ;)

• SRC Member

Ime , 1 cartridge of di 700ml will only make 350litres of 0tds water. After that tds will rise.

Price of di resin not cheap also at 9$/litre di resins.

Rodi still much more cost savings imo.

Di resins in ro unit can last 8-10months Time if weekly make 50litres. Waste water can flush toilet , mop floor , water plants , wash clothing (topload) etc.

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Might consider ur method when i step into corals bro. Thanks for sharing. Was skeptical abt RODI water cuz of the wastage.. Cnfrm kena chase out frm house.. Would like to noe if there's any other product besides the aqua floss that has the same ability Happy reefing ;)

Yo bro, locally there is no similar products like aquafloss (at least not in those LFS that i frequent)

But the madpetz DI is going at ver good price now if u are intetested.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Ime , 1 cartridge of di 700ml will only make 350litres of 0tds water. After that tds will rise.

Price of di resin not cheap also at 9$/litre di resins.

Rodi still much more cost savings imo.

Di resins in ro unit can last 8-10months Time if weekly make 50litres. Waste water can flush toilet , mop floor , water plants , wash clothing (topload) etc.

I guess the main concern is where to store the waste water. I make around 50l of water everytime, that would mean i have to get a tube to store 150-200l of waste water...

@Sept 2014