34litres Nano Reef Wonder

lurenake

• SRC Member

After procrastinating for what seems like an eternity and with my significant half's encouragement,

I've decided to take the plunge and taste the salt. Hahaha.

Tank is 3 days old as of today.

Tank size: Oceanfree Nano Marine 3, 31x31x36cm (34L)

Filtration: 4.5kg worth of live rock (from Pinnacle) + around 2kg worth of arga-alive! live sand

Skimmer : air stone skimmer that came together with the tank (upgraded to Sanders 2 Air wood)

Wavemaker: Jebao RW-4

Filtration media : Chemipure Elite and RowaPhos

(to be added towards the end of cycling)

Lighting:

(Current)

Some random lightset that came together with the tank. However lights are off during cycling stage and only switched on for viewing purposes.

(in the mail)

Brightlux 18pcs PAR38 LED

- 54watts

- blue:white ratio: 6:12

- 60 degrees optic

- light spectrum, blue: 460-465nm; cold white: 6500-12,000K

Substrate: Arga-Alive! Live sand (bought from polyart, forgot the exact type and brand)

Water: H2Ocean Natural Reef Salt + DI water (bought from MadPetz)

Cooling : Dymax Fan

Additives: T.B.C

Corals: T.B.C

Fishes : T.B.C

Water parameters as of today :

SG : yet to be tested

Temp : 25 - 28C

Ammonia : yet to be tested

Nitrate : yet to be tested

Nitrite : yet to be tested

Phosphate : yet to be tested

pH : yet to be tested

(will be getting test kits over the next week or so)

FTS (with lights on):

IMG_0328.jpg

FTS (without lights):

IMG_0335.jpg

Top View:

IMG_0329.jpg

Left View:

IMG_0334.jpg

Right View:

IMG_0330.jpg

Lurenake 34litres Nano Reef Wonder

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

So, I dropped by C328 after work last night and picked up a mag float glass cleaner as well as a eheim compact 600 pump to replace the stock pump.

Here, you can see my mag-float.

IMG_0339.jpg

Also, I shifted the wave maker to point towards the aquarium glass. Had abit of sand storm when I pointed it towards the back of the tank.

IMG_0341.jpg

Did some wire-management using 3M mini plastic hooks as well.

IMG_0342.jpg

I need help from you guys in help to I.D this hitch hiker worm. Found it burrowing around in the sand while messing around in my tank.

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

A clearer picture here.

IMG_0344.jpg

Had people from nano reef telling me that it's eunicid worm. I will try and catch it the moment i see it again. :thumbdown:

• SRC Member

Looking good! Make sure you test those parameters yet get that worm out..moniter your salinity as it will really flux why?

Cause your tank is small

Evaporation occurs due to fan(it occurs in every setup but more in Fan cooled setups..

And a tank that small will have parameters move alot so weekly testing is key..

Cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Yuppies. Looking around for a 2nd hand hailea 100a chiller. Till then I'm topping up 500ml twice a day with NTUC's distilled water. hahaha.

Looking good! Make sure you test those parameters yet get that worm out..moniter your salinity as it will really flux why?

Cause your tank is small

Evaporation occurs due to fan(it occurs in every setup but more in Fan cooled setups..

And a tank that small will have parameters move alot so weekly testing is key..

Cheers!

• SRC Member
Yuppies. Looking around for a 2nd hand hailea 100a chiller. Till then I'm topping up 500ml twice a day with NTUC's distilled water. hahaha.
sounds about right!

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

that worm.. better get it out as i believe it way pray on small fishes! It does indeed looks like the Eunice aphroditois.

Take note of your deep sandbed, may cause problem in the long run.. A simple stir may crash your tank due to the small volume of water.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

That sure is eunicid bro. Should take it out soon. This below was what I get when I first started.

4da9df360114215ed7abf799bac51c12.jpg

Anyway, I was planning to get the same tank you're going for. But had a good bigger tank deal and went for it. Now wanting to start a new tank with ocean free again. I'll be camping here for your tank bro. Doesn't rw4 start a sandstorm in your tank though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's quite a deep sandbed u have for a nano tank. Looking fwd to ur stocking!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Ya! I came across a youtube video of it hunting in the sea. Damn cool and freaky at the same time. I'll probably reduce the depth when I dip the rocks to get rid of the worm. Can't figure out which rock is it living in.

that worm.. better get it out as i believe it way pray on small fishes! It does indeed looks like the Eunice aphroditois.

Take note of your deep sandbed, may cause problem in the long run.. A simple stir may crash your tank due to the small volume of water.

Mind sharing how did you get it out? That is one long wormmmmmmmmmmmm. I had my rw-4 tuned to the low side, about two bars for power and 6-7 notches for frequency. It's running on the first mode. Seems pretty good so far though.

That sure is eunicid bro. Should take it out soon. This below was what I get when I first started.
4da9df360114215ed7abf799bac51c12.jpg

Anyway, I was planning to get the same tank you're going for. But had a good bigger tank deal and went for it. Now wanting to start a new tank with ocean free again. I'll be camping here for your tank bro. Doesn't rw4 start a sandstorm in your tank though?

I'm looking forward to my own stocking as well!! :yahoo:

There's quite a deep sandbed u have for a nano tank. Looking fwd to ur stocking!!

• SRC Member

Fishing bait mode activated

• SRC Member

I'm going to doing a freshwater dip of all my live rocks on friday night after work. I'll be picking up a bottle of hydrogen peroxide as well just in case freshwater dip is not shocking enough to get the worm out of the rocks.

• SRC Member

I'm not sure a FW dip would be enough. I've read some stuffs on the web saying those creatures even survived plain cold water dips. Just go all out on it if your tank has no inhabitants yet. That will save you from more upcoming stories. Just my 2 cents. I spotted mine peeking out from one of a rock and I knew that whatever that creature is, it won't do any good to my tank. So, I pull the rock out, give it a FW dip and try to poke the holes with tongs. One hole was blocked with rock bits being hold by mucus. Took the bits out and then there was this boy lying down. Even dropped the rock in shock when I first pull it out, seeing how long it was. Found some wormlings during the dip too. That was my story. All the best for yours too. (Y)

• SRC Member

So I spent the whole of Friday night nuking my rocks to get the #%@$@ bobbit worm out. Using a mixture of distilled water from NTUC and 16% hydrogen peroxide that I bought from Eco City hydroponics.

Here's the aftermath.

IMG_0375.jpg

That was just part of what I managed to get rid of. I also got rid of around 4 - 5 baby mantis shrimps in different colours even! :wacko: I also got rid of uncountable worms of different sizes and shapes and species. But the good news is, as you can see in the this picture, right smack in the middle is the bad a** bobbit worm. I believe I got the whole of it as it just floated out, I didn't pull on it.

• SRC Member

On a side note, guess what came in the mail today!!

IMG_0378.jpg

My brightlux PAR38 LED lights.

Specs as follow:

Brightlux 18pcs PAR38 LED

- 54watts

- blue:white ratio: 6:12

- 60 degrees optic

- light spectrum, blue: 460-465nm; cold white: 6500-12,000K

The light itself.

IMG_0379.jpg

In my ikea holder.

IMG_0380.jpg

When the light is lit.

IMG_0381.jpg

Also, did a rescape after the nuking. Took in bro andtsg's suggestions for more open spaces to aid watr circulation and minimise debris trap.

IMG_0376.jpg

Finally, the new scape with the new lights! :yahoo::superman::thumbsup:

IMG_0382.jpg

• SRC Member

I'm not sure a FW dip would be enough. I've read some stuffs on the web saying those creatures even survived plain cold water dips. Just go all out on it if your tank has no inhabitants yet. That will save you from more upcoming stories. Just my 2 cents. I spotted mine peeking out from one of a rock and I knew that whatever that creature is, it won't do any good to my tank. So, I pull the rock out, give it a FW dip and try to poke the holes with tongs. One hole was blocked with rock bits being hold by mucus. Took the bits out and then there was this boy lying down. Even dropped the rock in shock when I first pull it out, seeing how long it was. Found some wormlings during the dip too. That was my story. All the best for yours too. (Y)

Thanks for the advise man. Much appreciated. I really went out as my tank wasn't too long into the cycle period thus I dipped the rocks for close to 4 hours with continuous squirting of the hydrogen peroxide on the rock surface itself continuously. That chemical really work wonders. Hahaha.

• SRC Member

Also got my hands on a refractometer from a really nice dude from pasar malam. Tested my water before top up yesterday night and after as well this morning before top up and after. Glad to say that my SG is constant at 1.026.

• SRC Member

Also got my hands on a refractometer from a really nice dude from pasar malam. Tested my water before top up yesterday night and after as well this morning before top up and after. Glad to say that my SG is constant at 1.026.

Sure bro. Reefers to reefers, that's not a problem. Spending abit more time now will save you from a lot of hassle. Playing safe pays off in this hobby IMO. :D

Regards,

25g nano reefer.

• SRC Member

Also took bro Evolutionz's advice and lowered my sandbed's depth by half, it's about 2-4cm now. Now all that is left is the waiting game for the new cycle to complete and get my hands on some water test kits