COBINATION OF LIGHTHING

There are basically 2 range of LEDs.

The high powered ones like AI and gang are built as MH replacements as they have the strong penetrating power that MH provides. This gives that shimmering spot light effect.

Then there's the low powered array of LEDs. These LEDs usually comes in a set of numerous closely placed LEDs. In the right combination, these LEDs are good T5 replacements. The numerous LEDs allow for a wide coverage of light which T5 provides but as smaller wattage bulbs are used, these LEDs cannot provide the shimmering spot light effect of MH.

Par38 happens to fall between these 2 categories.

For a shallow tank, Par38 is able to act as MH replacements but more then 1 needs to be used to give the light coverage needed (just like MH).

For deep tanks, Par38 are at best T5 replacements as they cannot penetrate the salt water as well as their stronger LED buddies. Problem is, it still does not provide the same light coverage T5 can produce.

Hmm.. So back to the question. If u do not mind the heat and energy consumption of MH, I would say run MH with T5 and the sole purpose of the T5 would be to provide enough light for the rest of the aquarium, complementing the MH.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

im still having trouble picking between maxspect and ati fixture til now. been reading a lot of forums and review but im reading good reviews with led + t5 suppliment. led for rippling effect and 2-4bulb of t5 for colloration and coral pop.

im still having trouble picking between maxspect and ati fixture til now. been reading a lot of forums and review but im reading good reviews with led + t5 suppliment. led for rippling effect and 2-4bulb of t5 for colloration and coral pop.

Just get the maxspect and diy t5 bulbs to it =D I did that with much success. 2 bulb blue plus on each side will do the trick. Amazing colouration.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Supporter

Yes, all depends on what ur aiming for, and ur maxspect spectrum setting.

I saw your previous post of adding 2x T5 to your 10k Maxpect Razor. What were your lighting intensity & hours like?

If its a Maxpect Razor 16k, which type of T5 would you add for good SPS growth & to make the colors pop? Just blue+?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

All high power LED will give you the shimmering effect.

Any LED that is 3 watt and above and running at more then 0.5 ampere is high power LED.

No LED by its own can penetrate water depth.

All LED with the correct Lens Angle can penetrate at different depth

or disperse light up to 180 degree

Multi Chip LED module are make up of many high power led emitters either in one color as single

spectrum led or multi color for full spectrum

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

I saw your previous post of adding 2x T5 to your 10k Maxpect Razor. What were your lighting intensity & hours like?

If its a Maxpect Razor 16k, which type of T5 would you add for good SPS growth & to make the colors pop? Just blue+?

Hi bro, I was running my maxspect for 12hrs with 2 hrs for ramping up and down. I blasted my corals pretty strong, 80% White 100% blue. I dont suggest anyone use this setting right off the bat....acclimatise ur corals and see their response. Its difficult to judge just base off timing and intensity, as the height of the coral in the tank will make a difference too.

For 16k, if u need more growth, can consider adding on 2 coral plus. Usually with a 16k spectrum, u should be able to get ur coral colours to pop....if u wanna go for the 20k look, can consider adding more blue plus. Artinic is nice for added fluorescent as well if u have lots of LPS like acan, blastos, elegance, zoas etc etc.

By the way, theres no hard and fast rule about what t5 bulbs to use with ur leds. You can use 2 x Blue+, 2 x Coral+, 2 x Artinic, 2 x purple plus...its just supplementing the led to further improve colours or growth. Ur led by right should already be sufficient on its own to provide the necessary growth or colouration u aiming for.

Whatever u choose, more importantly, it should be visually appealing for ur eyes.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Supporter

Hi bro, I was running my maxspect for 12hrs with 2 hrs for ramping up and down. I blasted my corals pretty strong, 80% White 100% blue. I dont suggest anyone use this setting right off the bat....acclimatise ur corals and see their response. Its difficult to judge just base off timing and intensity, as the height of the coral in the tank will make a difference too.

For 16k, if u need more growth, can consider adding on 2 coral plus. Usually with a 16k spectrum, u should be able to get ur coral colours to pop....if u wanna go for the 20k look, can consider adding more blue plus. Artinic is nice for added fluorescent as well if u have lots of LPS like acan, blastos, elegance, zoas etc etc.

By the way, theres no hard and fast rule about what t5 bulbs to use with ur leds. You can use 2 x Blue+, 2 x Coral+, 2 x Artinic, 2 x purple plus...its just supplementing the led to further improve colours or growth. Ur led by right should already be sufficient on its own to provide the necessary growth or colouration u aiming for.

Whatever u choose, more importantly, it should be visually appealing for ur eyes.

Thanks. This is a good rough reference.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Just get the maxspect and diy t5 bulbs to it =D I did that with much success. 2 bulb blue plus on each side will do the trick. Amazing colouration.

Thats my plan actually. I saw one diy on some forum it looks a bit messy but it can be refine i think.

31706656-9320-4339-93AD-84C24E437AAA-265

Planning to use Blue+ and Purple+ for more coral pop.

Also another dilemma i have is which fixture to use 2x160w or 1x300w for my 5x2.5x2.5ft DT. I read somewhere that you can actually join 2x160w into 1 fixture. lolz.

Yes u can certainly tidy up those wires alot better.

Heres mine back when i had my 2ft tank running. I just made a hole in the reflector and cabled tie the reflectors directly onto the heatsink on the maxspect. Helps dissipate heat too.

post-18626-0-54150000-1417174312_thumb.j

post-18626-0-36702900-1417174318_thumb.j

post-18626-0-94917000-1417174323_thumb.j

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member
nice bro. wondering where you hide the ballast?