Dear Reefers, Today I have some question in mind that wish some of you can answer for me!
Will give my gratitude before asking the question. Thank you

1: How long does it take for a bio pellet to work ( as in melt and start reducing nitrate)

2: Can you dose vodka and run bio pellet at same time?
3: Does the ethanol in vodka evaporate or skim out?

4: When I start vodka dosing, do i need to turn my chiller more cold inorder for more oxygen. (since warmer water deplete oxygen faster)
5: Do i dose in the main tank or in the sump ( Skimmer portion or bio filter portion)

Thank you for your time :)
I'm using Absolute vodka 80 Proof 40% alch.
For bio pellet I'm using Reef Octopus Bio sphere. Running in Skimz Reactor

PS: I still do 10% water change per week.

Ok I'll take this.

1: How long does it take for a bio pellet to work ( as in melt and start reducing nitrate)

It depends on the bacteria colony in your tank from 2weeks to 1mths rough figures ,faster if u dose bacteria like prodibio etc etc

Yes you can they are the same thing ,carbon source one is liquid the other solid.

No it doesn't that's the carbon source

4: When I start vodka dosing, do i need to turn my chiller more cold inorder for more oxygen. (since warmer water deplete oxygen faster)

No U don't, U have the skimmer and all that air bubbles

5: Do i dose in the main tank or in the sump ( Skimmer portion or bio filter portion)

Anywhere will do but if u don't want your fish and corals to get drunk

Stairway to Heaven

Ok I'll take this.

It depends on the bacteria colony in your tank from 2weeks to 1mths rough figures ,faster if u dose bacteria like prodibio etc etc

Yes you can they are the same thing ,carbon source one is liquid the other solid.

No it doesn't that's the carbon source

No U don't, U have the skimmer and all that air bubbles

Anywhere will do but if u don't want your fish and corals to get drunk .. Dose it in the sump.

Note : vodka,vinegar,sugar,bio pallets,bio sphere,etc etc are all different types of carbon source which serves the same purpose. Food source for bacteria which uses it together with nitrates and phosphate thus eliminating them.

Haha thank you ! I was worried about my reef tank becoming a mixer :<. So since bacterial consume carbon source i assume the fish won't get drunk or pollute with carbon source.

Last question hope someone see this. The light should be off in the sump since I not using refugium? Was told that the light(LED) might kill or affect bateria growth.

I dose vodka and bac daily. I also run biopellet. No problem.

My sump lite is on 20 hr a day because I running ATS and chaeto in my sump

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Haha bro There's a guide somewhere online not sure if I can share. But I'm using 1ml for first 3 day in my 200 gallon tank? :) going to add more depending on the nitrate and po

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, Just an update. Was measuring at 40ppm Nitrate. I put 5 green Caulerpa kelp grape in my fuge. 2 days later drop till 10ppm. Include daily dose of vodka and bio pellet.
Now i can't really figure out which is reducing my nitrate at such a fast pace. OR isit my API nitrate test kit faulty .
150 Gallon of water. Will the nitrate reduce that fast? Thanks.