Jay's 32g Nano Reef from New York

jaywee

Hi all,

I'm Singaporean but I reside in New York City. I did a google search and found lots of great looking reef tanks and a good number of them hail from Singapore. I had no idea SG has such a big reefing community! Props to you guys! I'm intrigue to see how you guys do things differently from the Reefers in the states.

I'm doing a new setup and would like to create a build thread here and get advice from you SG Reefers. It will be a great learning experience. Who knows, if I ever do return to Singapore I would love to meet up and have you guys show me around the best LFS. And likewise, if any of you folks ever come to New York, hit me up and I promise I'll be a good host.

Thanks in advance for your hospitality!

Below are my specs so far. Things might change as I go along. I'm really looking forward to this build. I'm going super clean, minimal and sleek.

Glass

Mr. Aqua Rimless 32 Gallon Low Iron Tank 23.6 X 17.7 X 17.7

(I was gonna go with ADA 60H or 60F but they've been out of stock for the longest time)

Lighting

Kessil A360W-E with Bluefish Wifi Controller

Plumbing

MAME Design Overflow

Sump

Custom design and built by Custom King (New York)

Skimmer

SCA-301 Protein Skimmer

Flow/Wave

Jebao RW-4

Pump

Eheim Compact 2000

Stand/Cabinet

Custom

Controller

Apex Controller Neptune System

Reactor

TBD

ATO

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Dosing

Apex DŌS (Waiting for release)

I wish I have the luxury of purchasing equipment in a LFS. It seems like Singapore has an abundance of LFS to go to and purchase reef stuff. Not so much in New York. There's only like a handful and not a lot of selections. And to get anywhere its quite a drive. So we always just order from big names like Marine Depot and BRS and just pray nothing breaks when its being delivered. I recently got my tank delivered.

See how insane the protective packaging gets. Too many broken tanks and Online vendors are not taking the risk. So for a small nano tank they pack it so intense it came in a gigantic box almost 5 ft tall, haha.

Packing peanuts were filled to the brim.

15339937454_1947360fe7_z.jpg

15962213275_25a453f8ca_z.jpg

So here it is. Mr. Aqua Passion Ultra 32 Gallon Rimless Low Iron Tank. I was banging on getting an ADA 60H or 60F but it's been out of stock for the longest time and quite imposible to get it here in NY and shipping cost is crazy. Mr. Aqua is Taiwan made and they've been doing a great job with their tanks. Reviews online have been quite steller.

15961876625_5269d0a0a6_c.jpg

15936098746_bccb61bafa_c.jpg

15339602474_a5d1e89206_c.jpg

15342255283_61798567f3_c.jpg

This is a sump custom designed and built by a local guy from Manhattan Reefs. Super happy with what he's done. I gave him such a limited dimension and he delivered everything I asked for and more.

15339601984_5b320c5066_c.jpg

15342254183_dcf4e686fa_c.jpg

15961875795_4b6aba8f04_c.jpg

I've heard pretty good reviews about this SCA 301 Protein skimmer. For under US$100 this thing is pretty damn well-built. I hope this skimmer isn't an overkill for my 32g Nano.

15961876365_2ffa666df3_c.jpg

15774601560_611cdb1517.jpg

15775864189_0306d5b5d0.jpg

15774601850_636034eb13.jpg

15774601730_ef1363391e.jpg

• SRC Member

Looking great and good choice of equipments. You sump looks pretty cool and neat. What you intending to keep?

Shadow Walkers's 4 ft Shallow Reef Chronicles

4 Ft - 120.35.35

3 Ft Sump

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Chiller: Hailea 1/4 HS66A

Lights: T5 4 tubes ATI + Maxspect Glaive Led

Refugium with Liverocks and Cheato and lots of pods

Refugium light: Par38 Full spectrum

Return pump: Hailea HX6540..stupid pump so noisy

Wavemaker: Maxspect Gyre 130

Welcome to SRC!! Camping here to see your progress!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

Looking forward to updates especially the MAME overflow.

Very nice sump. This design will fully utilize the full length of the sock unlike sticking a pipe into the sock itself.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

I'm like limited to 1 post today. haha no idea how this forum works.

nice to see you bro welcome, if any questions i'm sure the gurus here can answer or point you in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Thanks bro!

Looks lyk a great build. Welcome to SRC bro. Camping here to see ur progress..

Thanks! :)

Looking great and good choice of equipments. You sump looks pretty cool and neat. What you intending to keep?

I love that sump. I already have another tank. Will probably be transferring all my corals. It'll be a mix reef. I have a snowflake clown, a 6line wrasse and 2 yellow tail blue damsel. I might se the damsels. They're aggressive.

Welcome welcome. Can't wait for the updates.

My reefing journal.

Thanks!

Wow the sump look awesome. Is it acrylic sump?

Yes its made out of acrylic.

Welcome to SRC!! Camping here to see your progress!!

Thank you sir!

Looking forward to updates especially the MAME overflow.

Very nice sump. This design will fully utilize the full length of the sock unlike sticking a pipe into the sock itself.

MAME overflow should arrive today or tomorrow. Can't wait to set it up.

• SRC TOTQ Winner

Well planned sump. Neat and sleek. There's hardly any acrylic makers in SG so it's good that you have a local guy who works with acrylic. Why didn't you choose a acrylic tank as well?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Well planned sump. Neat and sleek. There's hardly any acrylic makers in SG so it's good that you have a local guy who works with acrylic. Why didn't you choose a acrylic tank as well?

Thank buddy! Yeah the local guy is great and he can make anything. He made me a AIO acrylic nano cube with overflow and back chambers. But I have a tendency of over cleaning my display tank and I've scratched the acrylic so many times haha. So Now more acrylic tank for me.

• SRC Member

Welcome and thanks for sharing your build thread! Always love rimless tanks coupled with mame overflow and that sweet acrylic sump! Subscribed and looking forward to your updates!

PS, kinda envious that you have access to BRS which we don't here.

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

I wish I have the luxury of purchasing equipment in a LFS. It seems like Singapore has an abundance of LFS to go to and purchase reef stuff. Not so much in New York. There's only like a handful and not a lot of selections. And to get anywhere its quite a drive. So we always just order from big names like Marine Depot and BRS and just pray nothing breaks when its being delivered. I recently got my tank delivered.

Bro jaywee, looking forward to your updates. I thought you would have more choices for equipment and corals in USA.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your build thread! Always love rimless tanks coupled with mame overflow and that sweet acrylic sump! Subscribed and looking forward to your updates!

PS, kinda envious that you have access to BRS which we don't here.

Haha yeah BRS is godsent!

Bro jaywee, looking forward to your updates. I thought you would have more choices for equipment and corals in USA.

Choices are great online but not many local shops. Unless I move to Florida or L.A. More established reef shops there. NYC only has like a couple of decent shops.

AND YES!!!! Finally something to update this build thread with. I GOT MY CUSTOM STAND! biggrin.png Props goes to Tony aka The Stand Man. He's a local guy in NY and he makes some of the best looking stands. I told him make me an ADA looking one but in a darker grey (To blend with my wall) and with the same side lip/vent but with a yellow accent interior and he totally delivered. Damn, I'm super stocked biggrin.pngblink.pngrolleyes.gifwink.png about this stand.

15380662184_c53df1e08f_z.jpg

15977131256_b95ec9d133_z.jpg

So I really dislike the look of the kessil gooseneck. Really Eeeewww. And since I'm going super clean, I don't want to see the gooseneck clamp to the back of my glass and all that nasty wires. angry.png So I got Tony to bend me this rod and bracket it to the back corner of the stand. Also sprayed it the same grey as my stand and wall so everything blends together.

15815523838_9d4e3d8c6b_z.jpg

And here where the coolness is... by simply loosening the thumb screw I can swing the rod away if I need to do maintenance or go crazy with vacuuming my sand bed. No more bumping my head on the Kessil and worry about it falling into the tank or the gooseneck breaking the glass. Such a simple cheap solution. Can't believe I never thought of this sooner. biggrin.png

15815646170_e8319dc27a_z.jpg

The rod is hollow so I can hide the wires inside! Now that's a floating Kessil. rolleyes.gif

15815646370_bdbd10865d_z.jpg

16000943441_ff0172331c_z.jpg

Cool man. Very neat and lively sump!

My reefing journal.

haha thanks bud! Small space to work with. Now I have to figure a way to mount doser and dosing container. I think I'm getting the Jebao DP4. Heard great things about.