Bacteria house as 'live rocks'

• SRC Member

Given that live rocks are extremely porous in nature, would bacteria house if left in tank for long become live as well? Anyone tried before?

Have a few long pieces and toying with the idea of using them as part of my scraping project :)

• SRC Member

There must bacteria in the 1st place to start with..ie. Use NSW, dose bacteria, mix dead rock with live rock, etc.. ammonia is needed to multiply the bacteria then..bacteria needed surface area to house, so the more holes on the LR the better..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member
Yup, LR will have bacteria in it. But in term of bacteria counts it wont be as many as those commercially available bio media such as bio homme
Actually had the impression that LR are just as good as commercial media, assuming that the former is fully populated haha

• SRC Member
There must bacteria in the 1st place to start with..ie. Use NSW, dose bacteria, mix dead rock with live rock, etc.. ammonia is needed to multiply the bacteria then..bacteria needed surface area to house, so the more holes on the LR the better..
Which means the bacteria house media is a good bet since it is extremely porous :) May just take a stick of bacteria house to knock, see if it breaks well then got change to make some 'tonga' branches lol

• SRC Member

Actually had the impression that LR are just as good as commercial media, assuming that the former is fully populated haha

water can only get into certain depth of LR and the surface areas are limited, whereas for bio media, the surface area are lot larger and since the size is smallar, the water contact points are larger.

You can google bio homne for more infor on its surface areas, if i am not wrong, a small qty of it has an equal surface area of a basketball court for bacteria.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

water can only get into certain depth of LR and the surface areas are limited, whereas for bio media, the surface area are lot larger and since the size is smallar, the water contact points are larger.

You can google bio homne for more infor on its surface areas, if i am not wrong, a small qty of it has an equal surface area of a basketball court for bacteria.

Always learning something new each day :thumbsup: didn't know that bacteria does'nt go deep into LR as all the while long thought it was the whole rock itself that gets colonize haha...

You are right about the BH on the basketball thingy, read about that some time back when it was first released in the mkt ..

• SRC Member

As far as I have read about bacteria, there's different types of bacteria house in different parts of a LR or bio-media..ie. Fast & slow water flow areas houses different bacteria..correct me if I m wrong :)

@ 291213

• SRC Member

As far as I have read about bacteria, there's different types of bacteria house in different parts of a LR or bio-media..ie. Fast & slow water flow areas houses different bacteria..correct me if I m wrong :)

Would it be a case whereby there are areas that has no oxygen so that anaerobic bacteria can survive in either a LR or bio-media?

• SRC Member

Would it be a case whereby there are areas that has no oxygen so that anaerobic bacteria can survive in either a LR or bio-media?

I have read that for the marinepure 8" x 8" x 4" block with proper placement can house anaerobic bacteria..I believe for LR oso able to..

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Yes bro I'm a marine pure user. All my freshwater & salt water is only using marine pure .

Guess it is good since you are using it for all your tanks? The exterior surface looks so much like bacteria house or BK haha