• SRC Member

Thank for your great advice. Will take note on it.

Btw did u success breeding of them ?

Hi edmund, i did not succeed in breeding them. In fact, i have since moved on to keeping a reef tank instead. But my love for seahorses has not gone away one bit! I guess i will return to seahorses when i have much more time on my hands :)

2u72lqx.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

what is the easiest way to provide food for seahorses for long term??

i think the easiest way is buy a seahorse that has been trained to eat frozen mysis. If you realise that your seahorse is not eating frozen mysis its probably wild-caught. In that case, you would want to try feeding it brine shrimp that has been enriched with Selcon and then slowly try and train it to feed on frozen mysis as well. So, to answer you question in short, frozen mysis is the way to provide food for seahorses for long term :) cheers!

2u72lqx.gif

• SRC Member

Brother Hipporider,

Is chiller a must for keeping seahorse?

Thank you.

Hi bro, i would say the chiller is one of the most important things for the seahorse.

Seahorses seem to be very sensitive to high temperatures because they are vulnerable to bacteria that seem to proliferate/grow much faster in high temperatures. i have read many sources that recommend keeping tropical seahorses such as the tigertail seahorse and the kuda seahorse at 23 degrees Celsius which is otherwise unreachable without a chiller here in Singapore.

Any other species you are looking at will probably require you to go lower in the temperature range. I know of reefers who have had success keeping their seahorses at temperatures higher than 23 degrees. But perhaps they may be running UV as well as maintaniing pristine water quality. So as i recommended, the 23 degrees Celsius would provide ample space for a huge margin of error.

Cheers :)

2u72lqx.gif

Hi bro, i would say the chiller is one of the most important things for the seahorse.

Seahorses seem to be very sensitive to high temperatures because they are vulnerable to bacteria that seem to proliferate/grow much faster in high temperatures. i have read many sources that recommend keeping tropical seahorses such as the tigertail seahorse and the kuda seahorse at 23 degrees Celsius which is otherwise unreachable without a chiller here in Singapore.

Any other species you are looking at will probably require you to go lower in the temperature range. I know of reefers who have had success keeping their seahorses at temperatures higher than 23 degrees. But perhaps they may be running UV as well as maintaniing pristine water quality. So as i recommended, the 23 degrees Celsius would provide ample space for a huge margin of error.

Cheers :)

Thank you so much, Bro Hipporider!

I'll just hv to dream on.......

• SRC Member

i think the easiest way is buy a seahorse that has been trained to eat frozen mysis. If you realise that your seahorse is not eating frozen mysis its probably wild-caught. In that case, you would want to try feeding it brine shrimp that has been enriched with Selcon and then slowly try and train it to feed on frozen mysis as well. So, to answer you question in short, frozen mysis is the way to provide food for seahorses for long term :) cheers!

Hi bro, thanks for the reply.

Was just wondering because I seen some videos that people went through a lot of trouble to get the food. using those filters and stuff, think brine shrimp hatchery.

Frozen Mysis should be way a lot easier.

I was thinking probably a tank size of 2(H)x1.5x1.5 seahorse only tank. maybe with fake marine plants. https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=seahorse+tanks&biw=1298&bih=659&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vq39VMbeCJKPuAT16ILgDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=jGP_MUAqmnOoCM%253A%3Br2O3s99SraBrIM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fhabitatnews.nus.edu.sg%252Fnews%252Fpulauhantu%252Fimages%252Fbaby%252520tanks.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fhabitatnews.nus.edu.sg%252Fnews%252Fpulauhantu%252Farchive%252F2004_05_01_archive.html%3B455%3B341

is a 1/10HP chiller enough to maintain 23degrees for that tank size, probably 30g, and if sump maybe a total of 50g.

• SRC Member

ummmm im not so sure about the chiller but it sounds like a good set-up for seahorses. You may wanna check out more about the chiller part though :) cheers!

2u72lqx.gif

• SRC Member

I used to keep a kuda seahorse for the first time..however it did not make it...noticed its skin was peeling...suspected was Vibrio..did not know what to do... :(

tot of feeding it again.. currently have changed my setup to macroalgae and replace with pipefish

2015-01-23-18-52-24_deco_zpswvkdg7fy.jpg

Please "like" my FaceBook page - "Edquarium" (https://facebook.com/pages/Edquarium/350986588421491)

Thank you for your support :)

Logo-small_zpse0zttdgv.png

• SRC Member

Mine also the same before. But after set the temp to 22, it seem better.

However Once a while one of the horse skin peeling. But not so bad as before

Slowly recover after bath them.

Thank & Best Regards

Edmund Zhang

It is possible to keep seahorse on enriched brine shrimp. Just need to make sure there is a constant supply. I have this pair of Reidi since jun last year. Both have grown and still doing well. Chiller is a must and have a big enough tank to house a pair or two.

• SRC Member

Hi dream ,

As I know, horse has an sensitive skin, which will cause skin problem easily if water are dirty.

So long the brine shrimp won't cause water problem then should be okay to keep them together.

After all it the foods for the horse.

Thank & Best Regards

Edmund Zhang

• SRC Member

Hi dream ,

As I know, horse has an sensitive skin, which will cause skin problem easily if water are dirty.

So long the brine shrimp won't cause water problem then should be okay to keep them together.

After all it the foods for the horse.

Sigh, I do WC almost once every 2 days...water still dirty meh? :(

My temperature is about 26 deg with perfect water parameters/chemistry.. :(

Please "like" my FaceBook page - "Edquarium" (https://facebook.com/pages/Edquarium/350986588421491)

Thank you for your support :)

Logo-small_zpse0zttdgv.png

• SRC Member

i think it is safe to say maximum temperature is 23 degree for seahorses. http://seahorsesource.com/?wpsc-product=h-comes this website dunno how accurate but forum(angmoh forum) a few people recommend it if i rmb correctly.

and 1 major problem is water dirty because seahorse very picky they will choose their "target" very slowly and eat what they like. so all the other food will just be dirt. and because seahorse cant take high flow all the time so the water usually very dirty. maybe all the dead stuff at the bottom.

I was thinking of getting a aquaroche the semi circle kind here so i can keep high flow but use this rock to "block" the flow. the seahorses will stay in the center while the high flow will flow at the side to stir up the dirt. Just my theory, not sure if feasible.

any ideas or theory crafting to share share.

• SRC Member

Sea horses are found in tropical shores also that definitely has temperatures higher than 23 degrees..... It depends on the species...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Sea horses are found in tropical shores also that definitely has temperatures higher than 23 degrees..... It depends on the species...

Indeed bro, but there are other factors that would aid in their livability in the wild such as the movement of the tides.

The most common tropical seahorses, the tigertail and the kuda, are found very near the shore where the tides change as the day progresses. This would ensure that dirty water will be flushed out ensuring that harmful bacteria is not allowed to accumulate, even at high temperatures and cause harm to our beloved seahorses. From what i read, in Vietnam where the Kuda is farmed commercially, i read that although the temperatures of their holding tanks and pens are kept at 27 Degress Celsius, water used in these tanks and holding areas are flushed twice a day with seawater from the nearby lagoons.

This is only my hypothesis but seems logical. ahahha ^_^

2u72lqx.gif