Is it a necessity to use RO/DI?

Jonathan Tan

• SRC Member

use a TDS meter to test your tap water, see the TDS level, also test for NO3 and PO4 of your tap water.

The reason that makes me bought a DI filter is not because of the TDS level in the tap water but is the NO3 in it...

as for the difference effect of using tap or DI water, it actually depends on your tank, it setup and LS. If I use prime, carbon in the tap water and has a huge ATS in my tank, I wont bother using DI water....

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

Do note there is a diff in mineral vs distilled. Once yr tank is matured, they should be able to take on some level of nitrate, etc. However, if you want to play safe, then choose Distilled water over mineral.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

I think RO/DI water is a must to ensure pure water goes into your tank, in this way, you have control over your water quality.

Up coming project:

5' x 2.5' x 2.5' Mix Reef Tank

• SRC Supporter

I think it depend on the tds of your tape water as well, if it is less than 100 you can still skip the filtration but if it is more than 100 than its better to run thru the RO/DI

Use Reverse a osmosis (RO) is good enough. Adding deionized DI would great if you don't mind spending more is changing the DI resins periodically. RO membrane if taken care with back flow wash can last a long time. I have not changed my RO membrane for last 3-4 years. Only change the prefilter which is cheap if you buy Malaysia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I buy DI water from irwana at $1.50 per bag. Bout 10liters of water for bag... enough for my 1month fresh water toppup.=)

Cool, I didn't know that. Will probably need to get 1 bag weekly though, my evaporation quite high. Its a good thing, I live near the farmway i guess.

• SRC Member

Bro will the no3 and po4 drop over time for tap water? Steven from Ac told me to Lesce the water for a day before using.. I am trying it out.. Will see the effect.. So far been using nsw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will drop overtime but if you keep adding it will increase back. you should dechlorinate ur water before adding to tank first. will reduce your algae growth by a lot. my first tank i used tap water every time and the algae was horrible. it made me get a new tank.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, will probably test out anti-chlorine, otherwise I'll just get DI water from Iwarna. As of now, still not sure if investing in a DI filter is necessary

Actually a DI unit not really expensive.

The money u spend to replenish your fish will be much higher than the cost of a DI unit.

Worth to invest in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I do understand that our tap water contains metals and high levels of nitrates. Whilst it is still possible for fish to endure..it is actually not the best thing since nitrates do bring fish sickness sometimes resulting in death too.would ro/di be the best solution then?

-Main Display Tank : 5ftx2.5ftx2.5ft [ 12mm throughout with euro bracing ]
-Light : Maxspect Glaive [ 2 sets of 2.5 ft ]
-Pump : Eheim 1262 and Eheim 1264
-Skimmer : Deltec SC2060 / Bubble Magus Curve 7

-Wavemaker: Jebao WP40 & WP60

I do understand that our tap water contains metals and high levels of nitrates. Whilst it is still possible for fish to endure..it is actually not the best thing since nitrates do bring fish sickness sometimes resulting in death too.would ro/di be the best solution then?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?