Help on return pump.

• SRC Member

For 90L tank, 900LPH pump mean 10 time turnover in an hour..depend on what u r keeping, some need stronger turnover while some weaker turnover..the turnover rate subject to ur skimmer capacity too..coz if flow rate too fast and smaller skimmer can't skim fast enough = no work..cheers :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

rule of thumb, at least 10x of your tank volume. You may need to consider pump head loss factor. Get higher flow rate. Cheers and Happy Reefing

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi All, I'm new to this hobby. I'm currently cycling my 4 feet tank, using a Eheim 1260 or 1262, which has a 4500L/H flowrate, which is as mentioned about 10 times the volume of my tank. However, I realized that the return of water flow back to my display tank was relatively very slow. My return pump goes from my sump through my 1hp chiller prior to the display tank. If the flow rate which is 10 times is already slow, what do you guys suggest for a faster flow? Can I use a higher flowrate pump? What could be an ideal flow rate then? Can someone help enlighten me? Appreciate.Thanks.

Hi All, I'm new to this hobby. I'm currently cycling my 4 feet tank, using a Eheim 1260 or 1262, which has a 4500L/H flowrate, which is as mentioned about 10 times the volume of my tank. However, I realized that the return of water flow back to my display tank was relatively very slow. My return pump goes from my sump through my 1hp chiller prior to the display tank. If the flow rate which is 10 times is already slow, what do you guys suggest for a faster flow? Can I use a higher flowrate pump? What could be an ideal flow rate then? Can someone help enlighten me? Appreciate.Thanks.

I usually don't like to link return pump to chiller. It's better a stand alone pump imo. Also too much bend on pvc pipe actually slow down the flow.

Suggest U try to measure the flow of your chiller from the water outlet so that U know if you are having a correct flow rate. Efficiency of chiller is dependent on using the correct flow rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think 1260 or 1262 don't give 4500l flow rates, I may be wrong. Only 1264.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Thanks guys for the replies.

Patricklhc: Is it possible? How do we measure the flow at the chiller water outlet? I didn't use a separate pump for chiller because adding a pump means adding noise pollution. As much as possible, I want to reduce noise.

Solo77: I saw the Eheim pump indicating flowrate of 4500L/H on the label, but I guessed since it's a second hand pump, maybe it has also lost it' efficiency through ageing.

Do you all think a higher flow rate pump could solved my problem whilst not affecting the chiller's performance?

Patricklhc: Is it possible? How do we measure the flow at the chiller water outlet? I didn't use a separate pump for chiller because adding a pump means adding noise pollution. As much as possible, I want to reduce noise.

Solo77: I saw the Eheim pump indicating flowrate of 4500L/H on the label, but I guessed since it's a second hand pump, maybe it has also lost it' efficiency through ageing.

Do you all think a higher flow rate pump could solved my problem whilst not affecting the chiller's performance?

Noise pollution from pump wouldn't be as loud as overflow in my case haha but anyway a normal working pump shouldn't be too noisy.

For flow rate measuring refer this the link below.

• SRC Member

Noise would be negligible. I would worry more on the heat generated by the additional pump. Tried different pumps and eheim seems to be the most reliable but generates more heat than dc pumps.

• SRC Member

I'm using a second hand eheim return pump. It was only having a standard humming sound(noise), but it now sometimes produces soft rattling noise that is rather annoying to me. It happens after I start adding sand and rocks. Could this be the reason? Anyone knows how to resolved such noise which wasn't there in the beginning? Will a dismantling wash help?

• SRC Member

Picoreef: Bro, the noise is not caused by vibrations, as I had already put a cut-to-size Styrofoam at the base of the Eheim pump to reduce any possible noise that may be caused through vibrations from the pump-body and the sump.

Last night, I did a simple dismantling to brush off calcium deposits and dirt that was found within the pump. But after completing and operating it, the small rattling noise was still there. However, funnily, this morning when I woke up to check, the rattling noise is gone, and only left the standard humming sound of pump. *Puzzled me to the max* What is the thing that causes this rattling noise in my pump, since sometimes have, sometimes don't.
Presumingly, it might still come back again, as I have not found the real cause of it.

Anyone knows how to upkeep a return pump to maximize it's potential and life?

Chk ur impeller bro might be worn out..also chk e pump side where e impeller is inserted..if worn out & changing new impeller is not worthwhile as it will still cause impeller to wornout due umbalanced wear on e pump.

Cheers

thx bro

• SRC Member

My pump is a Eheim 1260, and I'm very certain that, though without rubber suction cups beneath, my pump body don't have any direct contact to the glass of tank, as the styrofoam acts as a separator between them. So rattling sound isn't from that source.

My pipings is a Eheim pipe and it fits direct from pump to chiller, without valve, so the rattling noise isn't from this source too.

The noise is surely from the impeller area I think where I felt might be due to sand or some dirt deposits rotating together with the impeller. Since morning until now, the pump is quiet without rattling noise now. I so called guess my crucial part is pump maintenance then. Since I did dismantle the pump for a simple brush off last night. And the noise went away this morning unknowing what I had done right that rectified it.

Normally how do you all wash or service your return pumps?

• SRC Member

Do you just clean with clear water?
Does using Vinegar to wash helps? I see that many reefers macam like to use vinegar to wash most marine equipment.
I'm totally new to this, so will vinegar wash helps?
When we say Vinegar wash, do we mean only a few portion of vinegar mix with water, or really 100% only vinegar to wash/ soak the pump/ equipment? *puzzled* :erm: