What type of sps consider deep sea? And how deep in the sea can find?

Hi hi, I will like to know what type of sps consider deep sea acro? And how deep in the sea can find?

Currently I have ice fire, lokani , was told they are deep sea, so how deep is consider deep sea acro?

Are deep sea acro need less light?

This Reefing really make me blur liow, will appreciate Seniour to enlighten me.

• SRC Member

Hey Bro, have you visited Aquarist Chomber?

Not sure those are deep water sps bro, but I heard alot about snowypora species. Maybe its the new hobby name for deepwater sps.

Anyway, according to coral exporters and collectors, deepwater sps are found in depths of 20m max. Any deeper and i dont think they can recieve much sunlight. Please correct me if im wrong. Still learning here. :)

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

Yes bro, that's where I got the ice fire..last sept..

Is I e fire deep water? Coz hear say, deep water sps tends to have pale white body color, is it true?

yes i heard that deep water sps tend to have pale white body. But then again any sps u put in my tank will also turn white cos i am super newbie

To my understanding , those so called deepwater Sps are those with smooth body and very few polyp. Like the lokani and suharsonoi , they don't necessarily come with white body ,

Camef from a deeper part of the reef 30m maybe and they can survive with lower light , I have a suharsonoi 'cultured one' placed at the bottom corner of my tank and it's doing good , was in quite a bad shape when i got it but it recovered well now and with good polyp extension.

Note, I had zoas on this corner and they don't do well due to lack of light.

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

Managed to get a pic of the elusive deepwater snowypora species.
post-13947-0-82178300-1423712814_thumb.j

Whether its some rare deepwater sps I'm not sure, but paying so much for a white sps, it should be extremely rare indeed. Just pray that it doesn't turn into tonga rock. :)

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Bro FS, is this deep sea pale white sps? Thought they are sensitive and can't always expose to air?

I'm newbie though , but this piece looks like going to up lorry leh.... Can share who bought it and from where?

I'm also not a sps expert and I'm new to deepwater sps so I can't be sure if its the "deep sea pale white sps". I only know they call it snowypora.

Going to up lorry or not I can't be certain but I'm sure it won't be on sale at such a high price if its going to up lorry right? That would be unethical.

There's a trend of ulns with high light and a certain product that will purposely eject the symbiotic zooanthellea leaving the Sps looking pale and bleached , or more pleasing word 'pastel' coloured. Which then after the colour element are used to tweak the colours of the Sps.

Maybe these are the so called snowypora , bleached Sps are not dead Sps if provided with the correct tender loving care

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

There's a trend of ulns with high light and a certain product that will purposely eject the symbiotic zooanthellea leaving the Sps looking pale and bleached , or more pleasing word 'pastel' coloured. Which then after the colour element are used to tweak the colours of the Sps.

Maybe these are the so called snowypora , bleached Sps are not dead Sps if provided with the correct tender loving care

Thanks xiggie for the explanation. But somehow I read that these snowypora are not being sold as bleached or pastel coloured sps but labelled as deepwater sps hence the white pale colour. I'm new to this species especially deepwater sps so hope some sps expert can shed some light on this topic here.

The pic that firestarter has shown looks like an acropora microclados which is a shallow water, high light and strong water movement loving coral. Whoever claims that it is a deep sea species whatever that means is being deluded.

Thst's a deep sea snowypora species? You guys are kidding newbies like me or what? I think most of you don't know that these deep sea sps are commonly available for sale in sg now. Come find one day let's meet up and I can share some Deep Sea Story with you guys. Too long to write here.

You sure that is deep water sps?? This kind of color don't look nice especially during CNY

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

The pic that firestarter has shown looks like an acropora microclados which is a shallow water, high light and strong water movement loving coral. Whoever claims that it is a deep sea species whatever that means is being deluded.

Honkit, thanks for shedding some light on this. So if the pic that I posted is not a deepwater sps but instead a shallow, high light loving coral, then it should not be in such a white and pale colour? Then why is it being sold for such a high price and termed as a deepwater sps? :ooh::shock: