2 Feet (nano) tank [ytpmzy]

ytpmzy

• SRC Member

Had kept fishes for 4 years haha finally made the jump from fresh to marine ... It has been 4 months since I started this aquarium (approx 20gallon) ...

Experienced a crash recently. Lost a few large pieces of leather corals and fishes, (that's why quite empty). Bristle worms hahaha some of you might have seen that post ~.~

My livestocks ...

Blue damsel (no i didn't cycle my aquarium with it haha , but my friend did -_- I bought it over and gave it a new home ,)

Maroon clownfish (female ? quite big haha)

Banggai cardinal x2 (dk gender cannot see vents haha)

Mandarin fish (there is plenty of copepods, I still see many of them in my ios and sides of the tanks ... somehow)

Black sail fin mollies x 2 (brought them over from the fresh tank hahaha)

Greenspotted puffer fish (aggressive fin nibbling action -.- )

Green star polyp

Yellow star polyp

Colony Polyp, Yellow ( according to live aquaria)

Some green zoa (3 heads left -_-)

3 Hermit crabs

2 Starfishes

3 turbo snails ( keep dying )

If there is any way i can improve , do share with me haha > :):thumbsup:

post-24065-0-21742900-1424874738_thumb.j

post-24065-0-28801400-1424874747_thumb.j

post-24065-0-76607000-1424874749_thumb.j

Bro,

What was the cause of the crash? Was the problem adequately addressed now?

I noticed an empty reactor (phosphate?) beside your IOS. What is it used for?

Are you planning on having more fishes and corals?

The water doesn't look very clear to me. Do you have some form of chemical filtration?

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

How's the black Mollies doing in ur tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

It will be safer for you to place the pump and reactor in the iOS/sump if is its possible. If it really leaks, the pail will not make any difference unless someone is at home monitoring the pail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

It will be safer for you to place the pump and reactor in the iOS/sump if is its possible. If it really leaks, the pail will not make any difference unless someone is at home monitoring the pail.

The bucket can hold half the tank's volume haha. I made sure the intake is well above the half mark. Hahaha.

My puffer's teeth getting too big. -_-

• SRC Member

Well, having the pump run dry is definitely better than your than dry. Hahaha.

Is that a miniature puffer? If it grows up, it will eat the fishes. Then u will really

• SRC Member

Bro,

What was the cause of the crash? Was the problem adequately addressed now?

I noticed an empty reactor (phosphate?) beside your IOS. What is it used for?

Are you planning on having more fishes and corals?

The water doesn't look very clear to me. Do you have some form of chemical filtration?

Oh god haha ... Scrolled past ur post that day , was using phone.

The crash was nitrate related ... Corals began to expel brown stuff, I suspect it is the zooxanthellae of the coral

The phosban reactor is for bio pellets .. using a 1000l/h pump now to make sure all the pellets are moving ...

Of course I plan to add more stuff in the future but as of now must control that itchy hand cox must let the tank recover ..

Had an accident ytd ... Turned off the pumps as I was dosing bacteria , forgot to turn it back on -_- lost 3 fish (clownfish, mandarin and damsel) and the corals now look terrible. :rip: :thumbdown:

~Sigh~

Here are some photos of the tank's aftermath ... Planning to restock the tank soon maybe mid march, haha planning to have a pair of clown fish and another mandarin (i like their colours haha)

post-24065-0-42695500-1425472212_thumb.j

post-24065-0-71207500-1425472216_thumb.j

U dun need to off ur pumps when dosing bacteria.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• SRC Member

Does the biopellet move evenly at 1000l/h? Am planning to use a 300l/h for biopellet in a phosban reactor and wondering if it's too low?

Have about 200ml of bio pellet and it moves well.

Tried with a 300l/h pump but it doesn't move as much then clump up :angry2: make the water very cloudy when I shake it ...

U dun need to off ur pumps when dosing bacteria.

I turned off the skimmer. Brightwell biobacter recommended it. :wacko:

Have about 200ml of bio pellet and it moves well.

Tried with a 300l/h pump but it doesn't move as much then clump up :angry2: make the water very cloudy when I shake it ...

I turned off the skimmer. Brightwell biobacter recommended it. :wacko:

Imo if u dose bacteria on a regular basis, ur tank's bacteria population will slowly increase over time. U dun hv to off ur skimmer & then forgotten to on bk later risking the lives of ur precious livestock.

• SRC Member

Imo if u dose bacteria on a regular basis, ur tank's bacteria population will slowly increase over time. U dun hv to off ur skimmer & then forgotten to on bk later risking the lives of ur precious livestock.

True true haha ... I have a timer now so that I remember to on it again.

yo bro. any reason why your wavemaker is aiming 45oC downward..

Not sure. Aiming it at dead spots and corals ...

Some corals bouncing back ... Green star polyp and yellow star polyps still no sign tho ... zoa is gone (o.o one zoa still alive haha)

• SRC Member

Realised haven't said much about equipment

Aquazonic T5 24x2 ( Super sun 10000k and Super Antinic blue)

Sunsun wave maker JVP 110

Boyu WG-308

Phosban + Hailea HX6520 (1000l/h)

About 800g of ceramic tiles + bio filtration 300g + Seachem den!trate 100ml

3x Picture frames as tank cover ( planning to diy one with fishing line if possible, any advice?)

5kg live rock

Flipper nano to scrap calcified algae (irritating buggers)

150ml carbon change every week

50ml phosguard change every 2 weeks

5ml biobacter every 2 days

20-50% water change every week (Dependent on mood haha and tank conditions)

That should be it :thumbsup:

p.s isolation box was in there because of a bully ... but she died after the skimmer incident :rip:

post-24065-0-83081200-1425561653_thumb.j

post-24065-0-57932300-1425561663_thumb.j

post-24065-0-82337000-1425561671_thumb.j

• SRC Member

The pump slowed down -.- ... Anyone knows what's wrong?

Never mind, I reduced the volume of bio pellets I am using. Now everything running smoothly. Before that it actually clumped up -.- :thumbdown: ... Could have affected the nitrate levels, I am not sure.

Went to buy a cooling fan and a nitrate test kit (salifert) today. Nitrates now 25ppm from the previous 80ppm.

Waiting to see if my temperature drops below 30 degrees with the cooling fan >:P:thumbsup:

• SRC Member

Recently have a crash -_- ... snail somehow found its way into the protein skimmer ...

Lost all my fishes and corals but two mollies and some inverts :thumbdown::rip:

Update on lifestock:

black sailfin mollies x 2

Common clownfish x2

Red fire fish x 2

Blue-green chromis x 5

Bicolour blenny

Inverts are the same ...

Corals left with Green Star polyp ( recently bought again)

Got some shrimp today -_- but i was too hasty with their introduction... Both died of shock. Learnt my lesson, will acclimate for at least 2 hours next time. Burn my wallet :thumbdown: (stupid me)

The cooler fan worked.

Tank temperature dropped from 32 degrees Celsius to 28-29 degrees Celsius. (28 in the night , 29 in the day)

However need top up 1 litre of water every day to account for evaporation ~.~.

post-24065-0-55499300-1426603665_thumb.j

post-24065-0-94065100-1426603670_thumb.j

post-24065-0-50686600-1426603679_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Got another coral banded shrimp >:D This time acclimated it for 3 hours, it survived :thumbsup: . First shrimp that survived for more than 5 minutes in my system -_-, I am ashamed of my bad acclimating practices before >< :thumbdown:

Yo bro. Watch out if ur desk starts to sink ah.
Maybe u want to consider an ATO to help topping water.

Aiyoyo ... had some friends over, they pointed out to me that the desk starting to sink o.o ... now finding stand to move it onto -_- ... Thanks for the heads up.

ATO too ex >:P . So I just have to do some manual labour hahaha

Ato got cheap one too. Less than $70. Dunno if it fits ur budget or else buy 2nd hand from pasar malam.