Hailea or Arctica chiller

jimmyz

If yr pocket is deep enough, other hailea with external thermostat.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• 1 month later...

I have read of chillers becoming very hot. I have not ran one before but planning where to place it.

Any one able to advise on this? If assuming one chiller is placed 2ft away from my sofa with a cabinet wall blocking/ in between, is the heat bearable?

• SRC Supporter

I have read of chillers becoming very hot. I have not ran one before but planning where to place it.

Any one able to advise on this? If assuming one chiller is placed 2ft away from my sofa with a cabinet wall blocking/ in between, is the heat bearable?

Hey bro, although 2ft away and a cabinet wall in between sounds ok but it's still advisable to place it somewhere well ventilated to disperse the heat.

You also have to see if your chiller is of the right size for your tank if not it kicks in very often and the heat generated can be quite bad esp during our hot weather period.

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Member

It's unbelievable!
Opx! I mean it's unbearable. If you put your chiller 2 feet away from your sofa, then its' going to be unbearable(on top of the current weather). Got wall no wall blocking is same same. Air will move around your space, unless you mean wall as in a wall that separates 2 different rooms. Yah, better heed bro Dingding advise, to place chiller at a well-ventilated area.

It's unbelievable!

Opx! I mean it's unbearable. If you put your chiller 2 feet away from your sofa, then its' going to be unbearable(on top of the current weather). Got wall no wall blocking is same same. Air will move around your space, unless you mean wall as in a wall that separates 2 different rooms. Yah, better heed bro Dingding advise, to place chiller at a well-ventilated area.

Sorry, i missed out some details.

What if this cabinet housing the chiller only is an open one? As in, the front and the back are empty, so air can still ventilated.

• SRC Supporter

Sorry, i missed out some details.

What if this cabinet housing the chiller only is an open one? As in, the front and the back are empty, so air can still ventilated.

Its abit tough to answer your question bro. As it involves alot of other factors ie, the placement of your tank, whether the back of your chiller is still facing a wall?

Ultimately it just have to be well ventilated esp the back of your chiller, that's where the hot air is from.

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Supporter

For the same wattage, Artica can chill slightly more volume than Hailea. This is probably from better material used (eg. use of titanium coils - more efficient).

But the cost of Artica far outweighs the savings from the efficiency. At the end, its a an individual's choice.

Note that for Hailea chillers, there is a small intake at the sides as well. So ensure you have some gap on the sides as well.

As many have said, hot air comes out from the back of the chiller, that's where it it needs to be ventilated to disperse the hot air. Its down to basic physics on heat exchange - if the surrounding air is cool, heat exchange takes place quicker & the chiller will reach the desired temperature sooner.

From pictures from this forum, i see many successful tanks with 'dedicated' cabinet around the chiller with front & back open.

For reference, mine is a Hailea 1/2HP chiller for 3ft tank. Its about 30cm away from the wall on one side & back. The air around 50cm around the chiller has been measured at 35deg C.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

I used a small 8" fan and let it blow to the back of my chiller to displace the heat. Using an temperature sensor and controller (ebay) to turn on my fan when the surrounding reaches 35 degree Celsius and above.